Houston, TX

Emmott Elementary School 5

Posted February 25, 2015
I've had 3 children complete their elementary yrs at Emmott, and have 2 students currently attending. It's a great school! Emmott would benefit from district attendance rezoning to improve the dynamics of the school population. Because of the zoning, it's a poor school and lacks PTO participation & funding from parents. It's simply because many of the families zoned to Emmott do not have the resources available to donate their time or money to Emmott, like some of the "better" elementary schools in the district, which are zoned to areas in the district primarily with families of higher income. This fact DOES impact the school. As in EVERY OTHER SCHOOL, there's a range teacher quality; some are excellent, some are ok, and occasionally, there's a bad apple. My children have each done very well with no issues at Emmott. The teachers have always seemed willing to help, tutor, explain and conference with the students and parents. I agree with one point listed in another review - I DID see a shift in the teachers when the new principal started. It seems like many of the excellent teachers left at that time. IMO, the principal lacks the personable nature to be a great leader of a school.

Posted February 12, 2015
I feel that this is a awful school to send your child to. Their is absolutely no support system what so ever. My daughter is struggling in a few areas and I strongly feel that the staff has given up on her. She was enrolled in a reading program and since their was no progression they felt that it was best to drop her. Basically threw their hands in the air and said oh well and we don't care. I've asked for her to be tested and they unanimously came to a decision to NOT test her because they wanted to "use other interventions" which I have not seen any improvement thus far. It breaks my heart to see my child struggle and loose confidence in her education. I feel the only solution to them is take your child to her doctor so they can slap some pills in her mouth and let the school year pass with no improvement so she could repeat her grade level. Teacher's are NOT what they use to be now a days! Their system of doing things is NOT in a caring manor what so ever.
2 people found this helpful

Emmott Elementary School 5

Posted May 08, 2014
great school always loved this school i wish that i went to this kind of school in my childhood because the teachers are great

Posted October 08, 2013
my son is in sec grade, teachers are good in reading,math and sience but I believe they need to work more in writing,which is very important for their future!

Posted September 10, 2013
This is our second year at Emmott. I love the teachers but am not happy with the leadership. There was a large group of staff who left at the end of last year. I have heard from staff that this was directly caused by the principal. They seem to cater to stay at home mothers, scheduling meet the teacher and other events during the workday. The teachers are fantastic and really show the students as much personal attention as possible.

Posted June 04, 2013
My school is Emmott Elementary and it has been a wonderful environment that nurtures learning and leadership. My daughters have completed first and fourth grade and continue to grow intellectually. The staff consists of firm and caring professionals who have always put forth their best effort to improve a situation and encourage a healthy stimulating disciplined environment.

Posted April 16, 2013
My daughter has been going to this school for 2 years. She came from a very good school in Florida and I was very nervous she wasn't going to get the same kind of attention and education she received from her previous school, but the school turned out to be great! This is her last year here as she is in the 5th grade and I am sad she is leaving.

Emmott Elementary School 2

Posted October 02, 2012
I thought it was going to be great. Boy was I wrong. My son in the first grade and I definitely think that a particular first grade teacher should take time off or find a new job. She is extremely rude to my child. I have heard her being verbally extreme with him, and I am not allowed to mention what they are investigating at the moment. Teachers should not be teachers if they lack patience, or understanding for their students. My son has had a hard time in life, and she has embarrassed him thinking it would change his behavior. The principals are great and I am sure this matter will clear up, this school is a bit strict but only when they want to be. My other son got kicked off the bus for sticking up for himself and others, ended up scuffling with students. The bully got his seat changed and my child got kicked off the bus! How is any of this fair??

Posted March 04, 2012
having 3 children that attended or still attends... I can assure you that it has definitely declined in providing child safety in reference to bullying! The handbook clearly states the definition of bullying. My son has been bullied for over a month to the point that he is displaying anxiety symptoms and has confided in me that he is even afraid to go to the restroom. He is fearful of the "bully" carrying out his next threat!

Posted September 26, 2011
I rated one star because you can't rate zero! This school is horrible, my son got bullied, they wasted time putting off meetings for my sons special needs and the staff and principal didnt care!!! Do not put your children in danger, they will not care for them. It is all too obvious these people are just here for a paycheck.

Emmott Elementary School
11750 Steeple Way Boulevard, Houston, TX  77065
Last modified Emmott Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emmott Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top