Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

High teacher turnover rate. Students in many of the schools in not just this Harmony but some of the other high schools, don't know what they are doing in class. Many say, they just keep getting passed but they don't know anything about the subject. Very surprised.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I think it is not fair to say “terrible or Stay away if you can...”Because, this is a school choice issue - this is an open enrolled charter school. We came from a district and had a lot of concerns: bullying, poor education, lock of organization and communication… We were lucky this year and my 9th grade got in to Harmony. I found that this is an outstanding school with very high teaching standards and we absolutely loved it. Just keep in mind, there is no perfect school. You see some are good at academics but not sports, good at discipline but poor with education etc. You just need to find one that is best for your child, and in our case Harmony was the best option so far. Click on the link and see some details about this school - if you have time: https://k12.niche.com/rankings/public-high-schools/best-charter/m/houston-metro-area/ https://k12.niche.com/harmony-school-of-advancement---high-school-houston-tx/

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are very helpful and supportive, they stay for after-school programs and come on Saturdays for help.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They cannot instill those things in the students because the teachers cannot control the students. It's extremely disappointing that the classrooms are always out of control.

This school is terrible!!!! If you value your child's education please run the other way!!! They have a high turnover rate in teachers....my daughters language arts teacher changed about three times during the school year. There is no classroom structure, the teachers cannot handle the students. They just collect money from the state so they have to make sure they keep the classrooms to capacity. So happy we are back in public school in a great school district. Stay away if you can!!!

A student attends to a charter (school of choice) school for 4 years and accuses the administration and school. It is like I hate fast food but I always go to McDonald's. Our mission is to have safe, collaborative environment emphasizing Science, Technology, Engineering and Math for your higher education needs. A school which has 100% graduation rate in contrast to 70% in State of Texas. A school which has around 60% STEM major graduates in contrast to 10% in State. The college admission officers shouldn't know Harmony because it is called favoritism. They must create diversity in their campus not Harmony Schools' Graduates at UT-Texas, TAMU, UH or etc. While our alumni have pride attending these colleges, you are measured by what you have achieved rather than where you are now.

Having been in this "school" for all four years of my high school career, I can personally say that having attended this school was one of the greatest mistakes in my life. In case you haven't seen it already, I strongly recommend you watch CNN's 60-minute segment on Harmony Public Schools. Some of its claims are a bit questionable, but all of them have an air of legitimacy to them. Enrolling your child to this school will not give him/her an advantage. The Harmony name means absolutely nothing in the eyes of College Admissions officers. Harmony is not some kind of safe haven for students. Admission is based on a lottery system, NOT by merit or behavior. That means Harmony is NOT immune to drugs, sex, fights, or violence. With limited faculty and smaller classes, it is harder for your child to do well here. There is more competition for advanced classes, and administration will show favoritism to students who make the school look better. Smaller classes means it will be harder to be in the top 10% of the class. In my graduating class the top 10% was a total of 8 students. Administration does not care about the student, it cares about what the student can do for them.

I used to go to Harmony School of Advancement but then got moved to Magnolia West High because we moved houses. Worst thing to ever happen to me. The kids are 100% nicer and friendlier and I have time to complete all my homework, which is a lot, because of block class which is an hour 45 instead of the typical 45 minute period. That means I have 4 classes a day alternating every other day. I'm not as physically tired and the teachers have personality. The only thing is, that it requires a bit of money here and there and they accumulate. But otherwise, I am ahead of other kids my age and I have more academic opportunities. I get to be more culturally diverse and learn things that are otherwise unclear in a public school. As far as school food goes, please bring your own lunch and trust me, once you wear the uniform for about a week or two, fashion is going to be a pleasure for you. I've met my best friends here and by personal experience, I know that we are friendly and helpful to new kids. We are the easiest group of kids to warm up to. Harmony is great.

Last modified Harmony School Of Advancement - Hi is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.