Young Women's College Prep Academy
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 01, 2015
The school claims to develop honesty, integrity and fairness, but It really depends on the student and their relationship with administration.

Posted June 01, 2015
There are many instances of favoritism by the principal. The classes are rigid, as a preparatory academy should be, but many of the students are over worked.

Posted May 11, 2015
This is the first public female only school in this district. This school is a STEM program and has been in existence for four years. The school first started with 6th and 9th graders totaling about 200 students. The school has added students for each year for all grades and this year completed the full enrollment of 6th - 12th graders. There has been some bumps in the road of course. However, I feel that this school is the best choice for my daughter and would be for yours. My daughter has thrived in this learning environment. She has taken on challenges and done things here that has given her so much confidences. She has had many visits to colleges, NASA, museum and participated in Science and Engineering competitions each year. The school is still going through some growing pains due to the nature of this new concept for the district. However, what they are doing they are doing quite well. The students are testing in top percentage for the district. I invite you to come and check it out.

Posted April 13, 2015
This is my daughter's first year at YWCPA. I love it, even if she don't. She is challenged, has become organized & knows that just good enough, is not good enough. The principal, teachers & staff are extraordinary!
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 08, 2015
My daughter attends YWCPA and enjoys the STEM and AP courses she is offered. The curriculum offered are at high standards and the young ladies are challenged daily. We have the best administration and support any parent could wish for. I love the STEM curriculum and opportunities to visit college and learn to their full potential. Great school!!!

Young Women's College Prep Academy 4

Posted December 14, 2014
THis is my daughter's second year at this school and I feel it is a "work of art in progress". What I mean by this is that this is a fairly new school but it has made great stides in this small amount of time. The principal, Ms. Thomas, is a "phenomenal" person and principal. She is working hard to make these girls and this school something Houston, Texas and the country might some day really take a look! The majority of the staff appear to really want to make a difference as well. Don't get me wrong, not all of them, but this happens at every school. I would like to see a little more of the "high school" experience" (i.e. dances, proms, homecoming activities) but I feel its coming. Just watch God work thru this woman! It's a really good school, academically and I feel that it is growing into a great school! Parents, we have to help her and not expect her to do it all.

Posted December 13, 2014
I've attended the school for three years since 6th grade and I have to say I'm very disappointed in the overall experience. The school offers a good education yes but when it comes to having a good middle school experience for me and other middle schooler's and a good high school experiences for the high schooler's they are slaking. The principle is very unpolite, some of the teachers are rude and I've had conversations with other students that have said they sometimes feel scared to ask some of the teachers questions because the teachers will be rude about it or be smart or have an attitude. The principle also have shown favoritism with some of the students. Another issue is the people working in the main office are very unpolite and unfriendly. they always seem like they don't want to be there and when parents or students walk in the main office they should be greeted with friendly people because those are the first people you come in contact with when you walk in the help they give comes of rude and in an annoyed tone. All of the things said by me here are things that are repeated throughout the school by almost every student.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 30, 2014
So far so good. This is my daughter's 1st year at the school and I have seen a 360 change in her. The teachers are totally different from what my experiences have been in the past. The attentiveness and small class room size is great. My only wish is for an updated building and additional extra-curricular activities. I m trying to convince her to stay for high school vs going somewhere else where she will just be a number. This school really cares and reminds me of my high school, the focus was on the entire individual not just test scores.

Young Women's College Prep Academy 4

Posted August 21, 2014
Last year was my daughter's first year at YWCPA. I was very impressed. The great majority of the teachers were invested on my child's success. They offered tutorials after school and on Saturdays. I had problems figuring out the various after school opportunities, coming from the private school sector, but we are ready this year. Communication was an issue initially, however, out was resolved wuickly and efficiently. The only real negative I have is the office staff could be more helpful and enthusiastic about their interaction with parents and students. I. E. I had to visit the office on an occasion and stood at the desk for 12 minutes while one clerk finished her personal conversation and another clerk merely looked at me...never offering to assist or help. The school could use office staff that "appear" th want to be there. Overall, this is a really good school.

Posted July 30, 2014
This school was terrible. The teachers were disrespectful. There have been many fights in the restrooms, girls smoke there also. This was probably the worse school I have been in. I'm grateful my parents aren't forcing me to spend another year here. The staff has favoritism towards specific students. I regret showing my parents the brochure. Worst decision ever.

Young Women's College Prep Academy
1906 Cleburne St, Houston, TX  77004
Last modified Young Women's College Prep Academy is a Public school that serves grades 7-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Young Women's College Prep Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top