Houston, TX

Barrick Elementary School 2

Posted June 08, 2012
We are zoned to this school and I've had 6 children there so far. My youngest is supposed to start pre-k next year but sadly, I think she'll learn more at home. The principal is so fake its unbelievable. I don't understand how other parents don't see it when she baby talks to the students. I did PTO for 2 years and finally gave up. There are a group of Spanish speaking mothers running the show. All PTO meetings are in Spanish and there's no opposing to ant of their ideas or them taking any of your ideas in consideration because they all stick together. When they have events, none of them speak English and it's hard for my children to communicate w/them. The staff is constantly changing. Every year at least 20 teachers leave and are replaced. A lot of excellent teachers have taught at that school; problem is, they all leave. Such a sad situation.

Posted June 01, 2011
My children have all gone to this school and sadly I still have one left. I would like to take her out, but she has friends and doesn't want to leave. This school is not a good school. The teachers always appear miserable and I can't blame them because the times that I have had to deal with the office, principal or any other "administrator" it has been unpleasent. They are rude, snotty and they NEVER know what is going on. They are NEVER organized or prepared and they act as if they are better than us (the parents). It's very frustrating and I dread every time I have to go to the office or speak to the principal, because I always leave with a bad taste in my mouth. DONT send your child here!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted May 11, 2011
This school is in a very sad state. The principal does not know how to lead professionally and the other administrative staff with whom she surrounds herself are inept and completely out of touch with reality. They repeatedly claim that they are all about the students when really they only worry about themselves. The principal is more concerned with how things look than actually the quality or how well things are done. Teachers hands are tied as they are limited to help improve the situation. Excellent, effective teachers who are intelligent are usually forced out unless you agree with everything the principal says and never question any of her decisions. Ineffective and non-threatening (to her) teachers are left behind to teach your child. This school is reactive and incapable of being proactive in how they manage or communicate information. Teachers who are "favored" and play the game of making the principal feel beautiful are then able to get away with anything. While those who work hard and are honest with everything they do are run off or treated awful.

Posted January 23, 2011
The leadership is HORRIBLE - micromanagement, nitpickyness, favoritism, and an inability to directly confront ineffective teachers/staff (instead the principal will complain about the person to other staff members - yes, really!). If that doesn't solve the problem, blanket scoldings are issued to all which is extremely DEMORALIZING. Favoritism: the 1/2 dozen teachers who can't speak English but know how to do as they're told which means most of the bilingual students who've been at Barrick since pre-K are unable to speak/read/write English by 5th grade!

Posted October 09, 2010
DON'T TEACH HERE please! As you may have noticed, there's a HUGE turnover rate. Good teachers leave because they are not allowed to think for themselves or question why ineffective methods continue to be used. The ONLY teachers who stay are those who mindlessly do whatever Ms. G asks without stopping to think if it's what's best for students. You will be treated like an hourly worker - if you follow orders and don't invest yourself in your work you'll be fine. You'll have dozens of the same forms to fill out on every kid that will never get read simply because Ms. G. likes looking at data in a particular format. You will have silly rules like not being allowed to possess coffee outside the lounge-what professional do you know not allowed to drink coffee at their desk? Just look at the kids and staff- everyone looks MISERABLE!

Posted August 31, 2010
This is my child's fourth year at this school and could be the last. The staff hardly ever knows what is going on at the school. I have to ask two or three of the staff before I get a definitive answer, and even then they don't seem sure. Every year there are a hand full of new teachers that come in and the following year thy don't return. I can't help but ask myself why. The teachers look and act like they don't like what they do. Not all the teachers are bad but the good ones don't last long enough to make a difference. Other than academics the way the children are talked to is not how i want my child to be treated. We all want the best for our children and in my opinion there are other schools nearby that are much better.

Posted October 27, 2009
I agree with the first reviewer. My child is in 4th grade and I only recognize a handful of the teachers that were there when my daughter was in kindergarten. The staff seems very UNHAPPY and no one seems to know what's going on. EVERY time I hear Mrs. Garrido speak, she is always scolding us like we are little children and telling us what we 'should' be doing as parents.

Barrick Elementary School 5

Posted September 18, 2009

Barrick Elementary School 3

Posted November 18, 2008
The teachers at Barrick are excellent! My child really enjoys attending this school and is receiving a great education. I think it is a very safe school. I feel secure that my child is being left in good care. The only negative about the school is the lack of parent involvement and the office staff. The staff seems to be a bit rude and not very knowledgeable about what is going on in the school.

Barrick Elementary School 5

Posted August 27, 2008
my children are very happy with this school!!wow that school is the best in texas.the service there is great!and the entertainment is great to! all of the teachers and staff are awesome!and my children learnd very fast and they are now in 5grade there and they have bein sence pre-k.the teachers are all the best and so is the principal ther.and they never want to go away.and boath of my kids are very happy and i,m to.

Barrick Elementary School
12001 Winfrey Lane, Houston, TX  77076
Last modified Barrick Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barrick Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top