Houston, TX
Before care: Yes

Posted August 24, 2014
We started searching for schools before our daughter was born and Garden Oaks Montessori has proven to be the best choice . All you parents out there doing your research reading reviews and checking stats , I wish you well . Just don't believe the hype that you see on the rankings pages of best schools in this city . My family prefers a school that remembers our child is worth more than her last TASK . If this school could be rated on focusing on your child to encourage community , self confidence leadership and becoming ready for their next level of education , then they would be number 1 . Yes , we have made the right decision to jump start her school career here at GOMM .

Garden Oaks Elementary School 2

Posted July 16, 2014
Totally misleading. Rude office staff. Some of the parents have an highly inflated perception of themselves and the GO community. Teaching (in my daughter's class) was minimal. Classroom management was horrible. My daughter came home every day talking about how noisy the classroom was and how other kids were distracting her, or getting into trouble, or causing the class to lose activities. Her Stanford test scores went down after attending GO. Extremely disappointing. Listen to the negative reviews. It's really NOT just one or two parents with problem children. My daughter is an extremely discipline, high achiever. My husband and I are both educators. We knew almost immediately (but not quickly enough) that it was a mistake to enroll her here. Parents are really involved which is a great thing, but parent involvement can also have ugly intentions. Pick another magnet school. There are WAY better ones out there.

Posted April 29, 2014
My school is amazing! It was a Magnet Schools of America school of Distinction. Always something happening to support families and children. Happy children who love learning - more than just test scores!

Posted April 28, 2014
My two granddaughter have attended this school since PreK. They are now in grades 6 and 3. We have been very impressed with the curriculum and the incredible support they teceive from their teachers. It has a caring and family atmosphere. Go Garden Oaks.

Garden Oaks Elementary School 1

Posted January 18, 2014
Garden Oaks is a great place for social fun. There's lots of parental involvement, and the school calendar is loaded - very impressive. We are NOT happy with the level of teaching, however. The Montessori Program doesn't appear to work at the school level, and we don't believe that it is a true Montessorit program, especially since children have to take STAAR tests. It all looks great on paper and during walk throughs. As it turns out, we are HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED, but "different strokes for different folks." This is a great forum for parents to express their own personal views, experiences and perspectives of this school. Each will vary, but should be respected, so parents looking for a campus can make their choices based on ratings/comments. Each will need to see and learn for themselves just as we did. We just can't tell you how disappointed we are.

Posted January 14, 2014
Garden Oaks has been fantastic!! The teachers recognize the students as individuals and help them foster their strengths. I love that the environment teaches personal accountability and allows them to build skills for successful lifelong learning. My children grasp on to concepts quickly because they can explore the topic in a number of ways. They aren't confined to learning based on what they can accomplish at a desk. Because they work in classrooms that span 3 yr age groups, they learn how to appreciate and communicate with people that span different abilities. Students encourage their classmates to be their best. This school is literally building all the skills needed for future leaders.

Posted January 13, 2014
There have been some comments on here about the school's test scores. All of my children attend Garden Oaks and I am not the least bit concerned about the school's test scores. A Montessori program focuses on the whole child and on so many more factors than can be measured by a standardized test. Additionally -- Montessori is designed so that children can learn at their own pace. The traditional system is not designed for this (which goes against everything we know about human learning), and I will argue that the problem with any school's test scores is not a reflection of the quality of the teaching. It is only a reflection of the reality that all children learn at different individual paces. A traditional model ignores this reality. I don't need a test score to be able to observe learning in my own child. Garden Oaks is a wonderful school and we are so impressed with the growth and progress across a wide variety of skills and knowledge that we have witnessed in our own children as a result of the guidance and support of the caring educators at Garden Oaks.

Garden Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted January 13, 2014
Great school. Lots of parent involvement and friendly environment. This is not a traditional kind of education. Do your research on montessori education before enrolling your child. It might not fit with your children's personality or learning capabilities.

Posted January 12, 2014
As an educator I have very high standards for my children. Garden Oaks Montessori has met those standards. After reading many comments here I do see that some parents may not agree with the Montessori method for their child. That is what is great about education- there are choices! We have been at GOMM for 7 years and are proud of the school. I have a child with special needs as well as one who is very gifted. This school meets the array of needs they both have and work with me to support them. I am thrilled that there is a middle school program there now. This helps eliminate a massive change at a vulnerable time in a child's life. The principal is an advocate for all of the diverse children at the campus.

Posted January 11, 2014
Our family moved to Houston from South Africa in 2011. Our daughter had been traumatised by violence in that country. Within 6 months at Garden Oaks our daughter had changed completely. She was smiling, talking easily, and interacting fearlessly! The teachers are compassionate and hardworking and the principal is simply outstanding. She is being challenged academically and doing very well, thanks to ongoing support and extra help twice a week from her teacher. Our daughter went through a patch of being bullied about 6 months after we got there, but the teacher dealt with it swiftly and immediately and it ended very quickly - at every stage we were supported and taken very seriously. We consider ourselves enormously privileged to have our daughter at Garden Oaks. The Montessori System is very well run and the lady who manages it in the school is an outstanding teacher. Classes are small and the middle school is growing each year. The parent organisation is excellent and the principle supports and works closely with the PTO. In our opinion the principal's warm and caring personality and the teachers hardwork and care is the secret to this incredible schools success!

Garden Oaks Elementary School
901 Sue Barnett Drive, Houston, TX  77018
Last modified Garden Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garden Oaks Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top