Houston, TX

Harvard Elementary School 3

Posted November 07, 2014
Harvard is a very good school for mainstream students who don't need much extra attention. In my experience, children with special abilities or special needs tend to be overlooked and fall through the cracks. In addition, I found the IB program and the Vanguard instruction to be rather underwhelming. The language instruction in particular is a joke. After several years of instruction my child doesn't know the most basic Spanish vocabulary words. If your neighborhood middle school is your school of choice, Harvard will be a perfectly adequate elementary school for you. If you'd like to send your child to Lanier or TH Rogers, you will want to choose ROE or Travis instead. Harvard doesn't really prepare students for the rigors of a Vanguard middle school.

Posted March 31, 2014
I'm a fifth grade student and LOVE this school. They have kind teachers who help you with anything needed and have many after school programs that you can attend for fun!! This school is an IB school with students who care and get good grades. If help is ever needed you can talk to the teacher about it and he/ she will handle it. If your child ever deals with bullying the teacher and principal will handle it giving the bully a punishment. The principal here is always on top of his game making sure everything is in order. This school is amazing!!!!! All of the teachers here are highly educated and so are we (the students) we have many projects, but they are always fun and the teachers give you a reasonable amount of time to do them. We don't get too much homework and go over everything in class. Everything is very organized as well. We have a tech lad, a P.E room, a music room, a library,an art room, a math room,and a science room. We are always learning new things and get help if we don't understand. I highly recommend this school for all those parents out there. You won't regret it !!!!!

Posted February 23, 2014
Great school-- very caring, wonderful teachers, both grade level and auxiliary. Would recommend to anyone looking for a first rate elementary school.

Posted October 25, 2013
Harvard Elementary is a gem of a school! The teachers are all very caring, progressive thinkers, who are encouraged by Mr. Beringer, the schools Principal, to seek out and learn new innovative and technological ways to teach in the classroom and keep the students engaged. A well rounded internationally broad educational experience is foremost at this little school. Thank you for a wonderful experience watching my child grow and learn.

Posted October 25, 2013
Mr. Beringer, Harvard Elementary's school Principal, runs a tight ship at this school, which is why it has succeeded in its effort to become an IB World School, with major improvements in test scores over the past five years. Our child enjoys learning and is eager to come to school with children who are just as enthusiastic about learning. I would encourage all parents who work or have worked internationally to give your child an IB World School Harvard Elementary education.

Posted August 10, 2013
Harvard is a wonderful IB school with great teachers, friendly staff and an amazing principal! Our daughter had an awesome Kindergarten there.

Posted July 27, 2013
Harvard Elementary has been such a great school over the years, that I applied to have my children attend there, and drive eight miles through heavy traffic every morning to get them there on time. As for parents complaining, I would state that most of those parents want teachers and the school to raise their children do to a busy lifestyle. Harvard teaches children to be independent, handle conflict, and be productive citizens. My child was very-well prepared for middle school GT.

Harvard Elementary School 3

Posted January 16, 2013
My son was being bullied his teacher told teachers did not get involved. Kids had to learn conflict resolution My son started coming home more withdrawn, physically hurt without any action from his teacher. Other parents who had similar issues told me they advised their children to physically defend themselves. Inventor/science fairs are poorly structured, left unclear to both student & parent making them difficult to navigate. I doubt the material is taught to students&often leaves the parents w/the bulk of work & little understanding as to what is expected. When attempts are made to discuss with teachers they seem equally clueless & pass blame to the teacher responsible for that project. I rarely receive graded work only report cards/progress reports. This makes it difficult to know what to work on with my child. This leaves me the expense of tutoring & the hope that my child is learning from his tutor. This school teaches to the center of the class. Doesnt help the struggling kids & keeps gifted students from reaching their potential teachers dont work as a unit with parents for students The themes & IB attitudes are great in theory but not applied/practiced.

Harvard Elementary School 2

Posted November 24, 2012
Very disappointing experience with Kinder teacher. Such a shame since our first year exceeded our expectations.

Harvard Elementary School 4

Posted November 04, 2012
About poorly thought out discipline, I disagree. Education starts at home and we shouldn't blame teachers for children's misbehavior. Dig in deeper, maybe there is an issue at home the child is trying to deal with or possibly bulling at home/school, or even stress, but don't blame somebody else when you are not an involved parent with the teachers or concerned staff members. Speaking for Hispanics, we tend to feel more welcomed when there's more talking, but other cultures are different and in the U.S. we all have to learn to play by the rules ---respect and appreciate the dynamics in diversity. IB attitudes should teach all of us something to apply. Teaching is not an easy job. That's why a lot has to do with passion!!!!We should support our teachers and not look at them as daily babysitters. Education is suffering enough and if it wasn't for Principal Beringer 's great leadership, the teachers' extra kids in class, PTA members trying to get extra funds, and parental involvement, our children wouldn't have such 7 out of 10 score. I fully support the Harvard staff and wish them a successful year!

Harvard Elementary School
810 Harvard Street, Houston, TX  77007
Last modified Harvard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harvard Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top