Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted May 07, 2016
Some of the teachers are great, and some are so-so. There will never be a school where every teacher is amazing. Some of my teachers have changed my life over the years, and have supported me in doing whatever I aspired to achieve. Others of them were ok, nothing exceptional, while still others never taught anything ever. It all depends on which classes you are taking and who you get. Overall, I think most of the teachers are pretty good... it follows a pretty decent bell curve, with a few exceptional ones, a few sucky ones, and most of them in the middle.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 07, 2016
Most people will say it's too much. Yes, there is about 8 hours of homework everyday. Is that a lot compared to other high schools? Yes. But I think that's the point. Debakey ISN'T like other high schools; it's a college preparatory program that introduces medicine to students and teaches them to deal with the rigorous coursework that they will face in college. So even though students may complain about the homework load, I think it's necessary. The hard work pays off in the end, I promise.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted May 07, 2016
The school does its best to create a learning environment in which everyone can succeed, but some virtues, like respect or envy, can be compromised a little because of the extremely high levels of competition, escpecially near the top of the class.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 07, 2016
Ms. Castro, my Spanish 2 Pre-AP teacher, has helped me learn so much this year, and I will always be grateful. I didn't know much Spanish prior to beginning this year, because my middle school didn't have great Spanish teachers like Ms. Castro, but every class of Spanish this year with Ms. Castro has taught me something new in a fun and exciting way. To summarize: Ms. Castro is the epitome of cool, and the best Spanish teacher I've ever had.

Debakey High School For Health Prof 5

Posted May 04, 2016
The average student of this school is way above the great students of other high schools. Each student is taken utmost care by teachers

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted September 28, 2015
For those students that actually survive Debakey to their senior year (which is only about a quarter of them, according to last year's statistics) persistence and drive are needed. There really is no way to do well without really persevering and trying their best on every assignment, project, or test.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted September 28, 2015
Through the health science course that is a mandatory course for the students to take, the students are taught how to care for patients and make them feel comfortable. They are taught the importance of being compassionate and empathetic, and really connecting with patients and people in general.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 28, 2015
This school really brings out the best of people. It develops a strong character with its rigorous coursework so that students are prepared for college and the expectations that are set at that level. This school stresses on professionalism and emphasizes the importance of certain behaviors in the workplace.

Debakey High School For Health Prof 5

Posted September 28, 2015
Debakey is a great school for anyone who is willing to work hard. Yes, it is an extremely challenging school, and if you aren't up to it I don't recommend you go. But, if you want a high school experience that prepares you for medical school, and really college as a whole, then this is the school for you. Just a fun fact: half of the freshman class don't make it to sophomore year. Yes, HALF of the students drop out of their first year here. It is overwhelming if you aren't prepared for it, and it isn't the typical high school. You must know that you have to work very hard just to get good grades like all A's. Studying every night and getting all your work done is a must. You will probably lose a lot of sleep over the course of the year, but you (and your parents) will sleep better knowing that you are ready for college and beyond. If you think that you are smart because you breezed through middle school, chances are you're in for a shock. I, as well as the majority of the upperclassmen, do agree that it is better to be a top-ranking student at your base high school than it is to be the bottom-bencher here. But, with a little extra hard work, you can definitely do well here. It's far from impossible, contrary to popular belief. Overall, this unique school is really gives you the opportunity to have an amazing high school experience, expose you to the medical field, and prepare you for the rigors of the coursework in college.

Debakey High School For Health Prof 3

Posted August 18, 2015
I have mixed feelings about my DeBakey experience. First and foremost, I am incredibly grateful for the wonderful teachers who helped shape my educational journey forward- I was accepted to Ivy League universities and well-regarded liberal art colleges with full ride scholarships. I appreciated the student body immensely, with its uncharacteristic diversity and friendliness. The health science opportunities I received would have been unheard of anywhere else. My experience in the high school itself was ultimately positive, and I did not expect to worry about college rigor since I did very well at DeBakey. However, the transition to a liberal arts college, which I matriculated to, was incredibly jarring and uncharacteristic. At these colleges, there is a significant emphasis on independent thinking and creativity- characteristics which I lacked in due to the more pre-professional, task-oriented nature of this high school. Despite receiving distinctions in my English classes and earning a score of a "5" on both AP English Literature and Language, my first college paper was a C-. My peers had extensive preparation in seminar styled coursework and discussion, whereas I was learning these skill-sets for the first time. While I was able to adapt, I often felt that while I learned a lot at DeBakey, very little of it was actually used in college. More significant was an implicit bias towards STEM disciplines due to the heavy emphasis they receive at this school, which stunted the amount of growth and curiosity I sought out at my college. Although this school is one of the highest rated in the country, be warned that the education offered here is by no means exceptional- much of the rating is attributed to the strength of the student body itself.

3100 Shenandoah Street, Houston, TX  77021
Last modified Debakey High School For Health Prof is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.