Herod Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 828 students

Posted October 14, 2013

Herod is a wonderful elementary school with dedicated teachers and staff that strive to create a well-rounded, creative child. It is a Vangard 'Gifted" Magnet. It is also the home of a great Dual Language curriculum which serves students from K-5th. We started 2013 with 825 students and interest in the school in increasing all the time. Our student population is very international and diverse, just as the city of Houston is. The children are taught to be respectful of each other and learning and trying our best is the focus for each child. We are fortunate that our principal wisely chose to keep all of our specialist classes. We still have P.E., Library, Music, Art and Mind Masters (a class only taught at Herod). Many schools had to cut programs such as these, but Herod was able to keep them and their wonderful staff. Children in the Vangard curriculum are challenged by the curriculum. From Kindergarten on, children are required to give oral presentations of their projects, which helps them with confidence and public speaking. The school also offers a PTO-run Enrichment program and a school operated Extended Day until 5:30 p.m.

Posted June 4, 2013

My daughter has attended Herod for 4 years. She is in the Dual Language program. We couldnt be happier. Wonderful teachers, committed administration and a modern facility. When she started she couldnt speak any Spanish. Now she is totally fluent. It's a lot of work and a real commitment on the student, teacher and parents part, but totally worth it. Wish I could give Herod 6 stars. Great work.

Posted March 26, 2013

My son has been at Herod since 1st grade and is now in 5th. He is in the gifted/talented program. We have been very happy with the school, the teachers and staff. His teachers took time to work with him and keep him focused and on task. I'm surprised Herod only has a 6 rating, I would expect it to be an 8 or 9. The academic performance is very good, it has a diverse mix of students and as of this year, all new facilities.

Posted March 26, 2013

As an experienced educator certified to teach PK-8, I feel qualified to really judge the academics of a school. This is a fantastic school whether you are in the neighborhood program or the Vanguard program. There are caring and experienced educators on this campus. Great staff...from the front office to the cafeteria. The academics are rigorous! They are more concerned with teaching the whole child, instead of teaching to the STARR test. The homework can be intense. The grading is a bit hard, since they grade based on what they are teaching. ( which is advanced in some areas ) So, your child may not make high A's across the board. This school is very accepting of being " different" and all cultures are represented. Smart kids are "cool" at this campus! I am pleased to send my child here.

Posted July 24, 2012

My children have attended this school for two years and we are thrilled with it. Caring, dedicated teachers and staff, innovative programs, a full range of specials offerings and a truly inclusive atmosphere are among the things you will find at Herod. My children are in the G/T magnet program and have been challenged and supported every step of the way. I agree that you can't tell much about a school by its rating on this site. Visit Herod and find out why your kids should attend. Truly a hidden jewel in this area.

Posted April 13, 2012

The school seems to be getting better with the new principal! My only complain is the fact that some staff members don't treat the kids with dignity and respect. I hope Mr. Johnson addresses that. Kids should enjoy going to school. Teachers have the right to discipline but keeping in mind kids dignity and respect. Ms. Roetzel, if you chose to teach, I suppose it's because you like children and enjoy working with them. How does being rude fit in that equation?!! Remember that kids say everything. Parents don't like to hear you are rude and ugly to kids.

Posted August 30, 2011

I am very pleased with this school my son had Mrs Hypolite for pk and couldn't have been happier she showed that she was more then just a teacher to my son being that dedicated teacher are hard to come by these days. My son is now in kindergarten and I know that he will have a fabulous yr as well.

Posted August 5, 2011

My son is entering the 1st grade Vanguard program at Herod. He thoroughly enjoyed Kindergarten and his class became family to him. His teacher Mrs. Melancon was awesome. She's very caring and very concerned about each child's growth and development. She loved them, and she challenged them. My son always came home to tell me the new things he learned. His sentences often started with, "Did you know " The administration and teachers seem very dedicated to finding and investing in the most effective ways to develop the students. I look forward to another great and challenging year.

Posted May 26, 2011

Simply love this school! My son has learned so much in his first year of pre-k, he had a great teacher too (Ms.Pitts), she really cares about her students education. My son enjoyed this year very much, making new friends and all and is thrilled to start Kinder soon. I would recommend this school to all you parents, trust me you won't regret it. :)

Posted June 7, 2010

My son attended Herod for grades 4 & 5. His first year there (4th grade) was great. Excellent, caring teachers. 5th grade was not as good. No communication from the teachers, e mails and notes sent to teachers were left unresponded to for up to 2-3 weeks. Phone calls to teachers were left unreturned. The office staff at Herod is very unfriendly. They don't acknowledge your presence when you walk in the office. They don't offer to assist you.

Posted April 27, 2010

Great school with teachers and staff who truly care about the students. Diverse population teaches kids about the real world.

Posted April 24, 2010

My child is in the Vanguard Program at Herod and has had an amazing second grade year. The work she has been given has been challenging but she has also been given the chance to be very creative. For example, the class did a reader's theater rendition of the Johnny Appleseed story. Herod's guided reading program is top-notch. In addition, she gets to take Spanish and in 3rd grade she will get to take guitar. Next year they even move into a brand new building.

Posted April 10, 2010

We stumbled on this school by accident with our oldest child (I didn't understand the whole process of choosing an HISD school yet) and were extremely happy with our choice. My son is in the Vanguard program and we are pleased with his progress. He seems to be way beyond his peers at other schools. Herod also has the dual language program which is where my second son's passion lies. After doing research (this time) at many of the other programs, we decided on the Herod program. It is a Spanish immersion program that incorporates English as they get older. We are very excited about this opportunity for his life that he would not have had elsewhere. We really like the new principal and find her to be very involved. I couldn't be happier with any other school. Our family loves Herod.

Posted April 7, 2010

I agree with other parents. The school has named Vanguard without its quality. It is worse than other exemplary schools nearby. I don't understand where is thei actual problem. Is it administration/ principal leadership/ teacher quality/ neighborhood student quality or lack of vision? I am really upset.

Posted November 9, 2009

I know that Herod Elementary is a Vangurd school and it would be different from other mangnet school. Unfortunately, I am totally un happy about the administration and front desk. They have know connection each other.My experiance they don`t have any vision.

Posted September 19, 2007

I have been a parent at Herod for past 2 years (my third year this year) and I feel that the school is going through big changes. With change in adminstration there have been a lot of changes in the school. Some for betterment and some not so much. My daughter's teacher seems lost and needs to get better control over the class. She is very unorganized and we have had instance where the children remind her to give the test that she asked them to prepare for. Its been 3 weeks into school and I have no clue as to what exactly is being taught.

Posted September 9, 2007

My son transferred to Herod from a neighbor school where he had a very bad experience with his kindergarten teacher. He was accepted into to the GT classes. His first grade teacher was heaven sent, second grade was a blasts, third grade was a challenge her first year with elementary students. We moved from HISD his fourth year to FBISD. My son still excels in math and science. He is now six grade, I do feel with encouragement he received from the teachers and administrative staff, and the principal, he is well on his way. Thank you Herod. Parent of the past.

Posted September 7, 2007

I have been extremely happy with Herod. I have two boys there this year (Pre-K and !st) and the teachers are fantastic and positive. My oldest is excelling in the GT program thanks to his K teacher. The office staff is extremely helpful, and even the nurse is efficent and kind. Thank you so much.

Posted November 14, 2006

My child just started Kindergarten at Herod this year and it has been a very positive experience. The school definitely exceeded my expectations. I believe the teachers, staff and principal are very focused and involved. My child's teacher is very dedicated and competent. The parental involvement is phenomenal. I believe this school is one of the best in the area and I am happy to be a part of what is going on there.

Posted August 16, 2006

I have been a parent at Herod for the past 5 years and I agree the school is not what it used to be! I beleive that the administrative staff including princinple have lost their focus ' the children!' It is time for an administrative change. The school has good teachers, they are not the best, but they are good. The parents at Herod are outstanding and deserve a thumb's up for their involvment.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

84 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

89 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

91 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

106 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

106 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Female91%

Special education50%
Proficient in English92%
Not migrant90%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Not migrant80%
Not Gifted58%
Bilingual87%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 10% 4%

• WILLIAM JOHNSON
Fax number
  • (713) 778-3317

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now