Johnston Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1677 students

Posted Friday, August 22, 2014

My child is so excited about starting school but so nervous at the same time. The staff has done a great job by providing a camp for the new students. Taking students around the campus with a your, learning to use the lockers and meeting many of the teachers has made her more relaxed. I was also impressed with the parent information meeting with the magnet coordinator. There were things I did not know and he took time to go over certain aspects of the campus. I noticed many parents just as nervous as the kids but he took time to answer concerns afterward. The gradespeed part was good but the screen was hard to read and needed to be focused. I have been impressed with how strong the magnet areas are as well as the academics. From the start I was sold on this school with taking the magnet tour. The coordinator seems very excited about the school and it shows we walked around. Yes the school is older and needs some work in areas but the teachers make the difference.

Posted August 13, 2014

My child is a seventh grader and even though he likes the school due to the magnet program, I would like him to go somewhere else like Pershing, Pin Oak, Lanier or KIPP. The principal appears to be a good guy, but the house principals are not fair when it comes to students outside the GT program. Students complain that the magnet coordinator is rude and I have observed his being rude to students. I have had to get outside tutoring for my child in math as the school is not up to par in this area. Several times I have had to correct his math homework when the teacher was wrong! The pluses are magnet (guitar) and the orchestra. The minuses are the disorganized administration, poor math instruction. and general poor state of the buildings and grounds.

Posted January 26, 2014

JMS is truly an amazing school... I am on my 1st year here and so far I have already participated in Theatre field trips, the all school musical, and winning a superior in the solo and ensemble competition. Also JMS is very unique... We have karate as a physical education option. Please come here, not only is it academically outstanding, our musical talents, and art talents really shine through. The GT program I am in has really made me think more intellectually about the world's problems and the lack of education kids get around the world

Posted December 7, 2013

This is my last year at JMS.I have been here for two years already and tell you it's amazing!I loved my teachers and the students are very nice and interesting.Don't let these people as parents fool you.They haven't had first experience here.I love all the teachers that taught me and you'll love them too!So..don't refrain yourself from applying.

Posted October 1, 2013

JMS has been a challenged for my daughter. This is my daughter s second year. Most of the students here are well rounded. There are some students that deviate from the norm through their conduct. When poor conduct starts to have an effect on the majority of the school or a threat to the school's reputation, I am proud to say that the principal, Mr. Sanders, does his best to come up with a solution to encourage students not to deviate the wrong way and to solve the issue at hand. Most of the teachers are supportive. I found in the past as long as I stayed heavily active in my child's academics, magnet program, and social life, JMS is good for my daughter. There has been moments where I felt that JMS didn t challenged my daughter; once I had spoken to a counselor about my child not being academically challenge, they took my concerns into consideration and moved her to a higher level class. My daughter is now being challenged and is working hard to keep her "A" average. My daughter has had issues with other students; once again, Mr. Sanders took care of it. I feel as long as I do my best getting involved with my child's education JMS does its best to make sure my child is at her best.

Posted September 11, 2013

2013 is our 1st full year at JMS. My son enrolled in late spring and the administrators, counselors and teachers were extremely responsive and supportive of his transition to a new school. JMS has shown to be academically above level regarding district/state standards for students performance. The teachers seem to be very understanding and appropriate with junior high age students. I have no criticisms or complaints - this school is a great place for us.

Posted September 6, 2013

Johnston MS has an excellent fine arts program where two of my children attend. The principal, Mr. Sanders, came from Lanier MS a highly respected school with a vanguard program in a better neighborhood. We are very pleased with the school management, visibility and high expectations. Our sons come home in a good, positive mood which tells us a lot about this school.

Posted August 15, 2013

Johnston Middle School is a good place to be for the magnet program. I am going to Ninth grade Now! Some of my teachers actually did have faith in me like Mr. Cartes, Mrs. Aust, Ms. Scott, Ms. Price, Mr. Rivera, Ms. Conner, Coach Hines, and definitely Ms. Latson....But then again, there are haters like Ms. Wilson, who is emotionally unstable. She had an attitude problem. The pluses were the ability to socialize....the minuses were having too many people to socialize with. My classes we at least. Point Blank- Do not stay in Ms. Wilson's class she is annoying. I had a front row seat and she spits alot! Mr. Cowan is strict and smells like an old cow! But honestly people judge the school based on its students and not based on performance. Its performance is well. It especially excels in magnet. It matters who you hang out with. I made bad decisions, but hey thats life. This is a really good school.

Posted August 5, 2013

i do not recommend this school it is downright horrible and students are messy and very disrespectful i recomend pin oak or pershing

Posted June 9, 2013

My 6th grader had a very mixed year at Johnston. Pluses included the amazing art program and the very responsive counselors and teachers. Minuses were that my son had 30 students in his GT classes and he was called some very nasty names by his classmates. That said, the counsellor addressed the name calling immediately and the school had 150 sixth graders just show up on the first day of school, leaving the administration to scramble to accommodate them. I think it's a good school on its way to being a great one.

Posted May 23, 2013

We have only been at Johnston Middle School for one school year and I can not wait until the school year is over. It has been an EXTREME nightmare for us. If your child is not in the magnet program they are not treated fairly. My child came home complaining about how a teacher spoke to the students and I blew it off until she taped him and I heard for myself how disrespectful the teacher was. The way they talk to the parents it so unacceptable. I am not sure how many times I have left the school in tears. I am so glad we were accepted for another school so we can run like the wind to the new school. Goodbye Johnston Staff!

Posted May 3, 2013

My child has been here for a year already and her and I absolutely love the school. The entire staff is always friendly and ready to help. Parents are very much involved in helping the school and students do their best. I look forward to the next 2 years.

Posted February 18, 2012

This is a fantastic school in all areas - academics, fine arts, athletics! The children at this school get a well-rounded education, and are certainly prepared to attend any high school. I highly recommend Johnston to any and all!!!!

Posted September 16, 2011

I do not recommend this school. Send your child to Pershing or Pin Oak. There are some good teachers at Johnston but others are not helpful and downright rude to the kids. The staff is not helpful in such situations. Meetings with teachers make you feel like you are on trial and your grandchild will face repercussions. The school is not helpful.

Posted August 16, 2011

i dont reccomend this place. terrible!!!!!!!! listen to me they hate everyone!!! horrible theyll eat your kids

Posted January 20, 2011

i do not like this school my child is happier at pin oak middle school

Posted September 29, 2010

Great teacher staff that go out of their way to help kids succeed and have skills for life. Environment has always stayed well kept and catered to the well being of student and staff.

Posted September 29, 2010

Great school with great performing arts programs! Teachers are involved and guiding the children to acheive greatness and learn more then just how to take a test, and that's the way it should be!

Posted September 29, 2010

Great teachers that really care about the students!

Posted September 28, 2009

I am very pleased with this school. The teachers are excellent and communication is exceptional. The principle, Mr. Wheat is everywhere on campus,this man is really involved and stands behind a No Place for Hate campus. The safety there is wonderful. This school made my son's transition into 6th grade exciting and remarkably easy. The teachers are everywhere willing to help you. The teachers also respond back to your e-mail,even within the same hour. The Fine Arts Dept is awesome, so very organized,so much potential for our children. My son is learning sooo much,plus blossoming in Piano and Band. I highly reccomend this school. He just loves it and all of his teachers!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

474 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

476 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

515 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

514 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

508 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

410 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

409 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

406 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

405 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students91%

Limited English proficient (LEP)92%
Proficient in English98%
Non-migrant97%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

567 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

574 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

514 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

513 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

467 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students87%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Japanese
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options