Houston, TX
Students enrolled: 1,677

Posted March 17, 2015
It has been an Amazing Journey! This is my daughter's last year here at Johnston. The teachers and staff have been Amazing. All I can say If you really want to learn and be challanged, Johnston can make it happen for you!!!

Posted August 22, 2014
My child is so excited about starting school but so nervous at the same time. The staff has done a great job by providing a camp for the new students. Taking students around the campus with a your, learning to use the lockers and meeting many of the teachers has made her more relaxed. I was also impressed with the parent information meeting with the magnet coordinator. There were things I did not know and he took time to go over certain aspects of the campus. I noticed many parents just as nervous as the kids but he took time to answer concerns afterward. The gradespeed part was good but the screen was hard to read and needed to be focused. I have been impressed with how strong the magnet areas are as well as the academics. From the start I was sold on this school with taking the magnet tour. The coordinator seems very excited about the school and it shows we walked around. Yes the school is older and needs some work in areas but the teachers make the difference.

Johnston Middle School 2

Posted August 13, 2014
My child is a seventh grader and even though he likes the school due to the magnet program, I would like him to go somewhere else like Pershing, Pin Oak, Lanier or KIPP. The principal appears to be a good guy, but the house principals are not fair when it comes to students outside the GT program. Students complain that the magnet coordinator is rude and I have observed his being rude to students. I have had to get outside tutoring for my child in math as the school is not up to par in this area. Several times I have had to correct his math homework when the teacher was wrong! The pluses are magnet (guitar) and the orchestra. The minuses are the disorganized administration, poor math instruction. and general poor state of the buildings and grounds.

Posted January 26, 2014
JMS is truly an amazing school... I am on my 1st year here and so far I have already participated in Theatre field trips, the all school musical, and winning a superior in the solo and ensemble competition. Also JMS is very unique... We have karate as a physical education option. Please come here, not only is it academically outstanding, our musical talents, and art talents really shine through. The GT program I am in has really made me think more intellectually about the world's problems and the lack of education kids get around the world

Posted December 07, 2013
This is my last year at JMS.I have been here for two years already and tell you it's amazing!I loved my teachers and the students are very nice and interesting.Don't let these people as parents fool you.They haven't had first experience here.I love all the teachers that taught me and you'll love them too!So..don't refrain yourself from applying.

Posted September 11, 2013
2013 is our 1st full year at JMS. My son enrolled in late spring and the administrators, counselors and teachers were extremely responsive and supportive of his transition to a new school. JMS has shown to be academically above level regarding district/state standards for students performance. The teachers seem to be very understanding and appropriate with junior high age students. I have no criticisms or complaints - this school is a great place for us.

Posted September 06, 2013
Johnston MS has an excellent fine arts program where two of my children attend. The principal, Mr. Sanders, came from Lanier MS a highly respected school with a vanguard program in a better neighborhood. We are very pleased with the school management, visibility and high expectations. Our sons come home in a good, positive mood which tells us a lot about this school.

Posted August 15, 2013
Johnston Middle School is a good place to be for the magnet program. I am going to Ninth grade Now! Some of my teachers actually did have faith in me like Mr. Cartes, Mrs. Aust, Ms. Scott, Ms. Price, Mr. Rivera, Ms. Conner, Coach Hines, and definitely Ms. Latson....But then again, there are haters like Ms. Wilson, who is emotionally unstable. She had an attitude problem. The pluses were the ability to socialize....the minuses were having too many people to socialize with. My classes we at least. Point Blank- Do not stay in Ms. Wilson's class she is annoying. I had a front row seat and she spits alot! Mr. Cowan is strict and smells like an old cow! But honestly people judge the school based on its students and not based on performance. Its performance is well. It especially excels in magnet. It matters who you hang out with. I made bad decisions, but hey thats life. This is a really good school.

Johnston Middle School 2

Posted August 05, 2013
i do not recommend this school it is downright horrible and students are messy and very disrespectful i recomend pin oak or pershing

Posted June 09, 2013
My 6th grader had a very mixed year at Johnston. Pluses included the amazing art program and the very responsive counselors and teachers. Minuses were that my son had 30 students in his GT classes and he was called some very nasty names by his classmates. That said, the counsellor addressed the name calling immediately and the school had 150 sixth graders just show up on the first day of school, leaving the administration to scramble to accommodate them. I think it's a good school on its way to being a great one.

Johnston Middle School
10410 Manhattan Drive, Houston, TX  77096
Last modified Johnston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Johnston Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top