Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted March 27, 2016
The teachers are disciplined and care about the kids. The principal is involved and in-tune with the school's needs. The parents care as well and support the school at functions.

Posted March 27, 2016
Amazing school. Our son chose Johnston as a magnet in choir and orchestra. The teachers are very good and the GT class work is rigorous. As for the magnet classes they are even more rigorous and students who fail to comply with the high standards lose their eligibility. I know many parents are concerned about sending their child to a Title 1 school but they really miss out when they write Johnston off.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 30, 2015
It certainly isn't a cakewalk! Still, my child is managing the load and 2 outside activities each week.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted December 30, 2015
I believe that the administrators and faculty strive to promote these values. Let's be fair - 11 years of bad parenting cannot be overcome in 3 years. This question refers to values which should have been instilled by the parents prior the child entering the school system. Further, there are members of the community and HISD officials who seek to undercut the efforts of the individual schools to promote these values by eliminating the school's authority to impose discipline. So, I agree that the school tries to promote these values , while it is the parents' responsibility to develop these values.

Posted December 30, 2015
My child wants to go to school every day. She has developed lasting friendships here. She is learning and is excited to tell me about her learning. That she is able to take art, orchestra, Karate and French classes is amazing. I am involved with her education. I have taken time to meet all of her teachers and have discussions with them. I know about the curriculum for each class. When she struggles, I know about it and I let her teachers know - other students may also struggle. We are looking forward to the 2nd half of the year!

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted December 08, 2015
Too much bad behavior going on to focus on learning, integrity and there was no fairness.

Posted September 28, 2015
I had one child to graduate JMS and two currently attending JMS. This school has problems and so do the other middle schools. Our experience with Johnston has been very challenging. Johnston now allows students to have math classes everyday. They offer tutorials for the core classes. I'm very active in my kids education, so when problems and concerns arises, the teachers, administrators, and counselors are very helpful. I feel the quality of education is fair. My oldest daughter that attends high school has been equipped by Johnston to succeed in Geometry and soar in her other core classes including Spanish. Although my oldest daughter is not strong in math, thanks to JMS tutorials she attended through out her 8th grade year, it is helping her to survive in her HS math class.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 28, 2015
Ms. Godwin ( seventh grade counselor) and Ms. Lamb (6th grade counselor ) are awesome. I feel Ms. Godwin and Ms, lamb goes over and above their call of duty

Johnston Middle School 1

Posted May 13, 2015
I am graduating from 8th grade from Johnston Middle School this year. It has not been a good experience. If you are a parent considering sending your child to Johnston, I would think twice and here's why: Drugs and Alcohol are a major problem here at Johnston. Kids get arrested and placed in handcuffs frequently. Another problem is the violence. There is literally a fight every week maybe even more than once a week. It happens way too often and it always seems to be that Administrators as well as the campus police are NOT immediately available to break up the fights. Disciplinary actions taken by the administration is also an issue. A student can easily attack another student and just be suspended for 1-3 days at the most. Another MAJOR PROBLEM is the quality of the education. The majority of teachers , in my opinion, do NOT teach well or in fact not teach at all. For example, some teachers I have had just sit at their desk while the kids go on their phones or horse around. Yes, there are a select few dedicated teachers who are fantastic and you actually learn from them but overall I was VERY disappointed with the education.

Posted August 22, 2014
My child is so excited about starting school but so nervous at the same time. The staff has done a great job by providing a camp for the new students. Taking students around the campus with a your, learning to use the lockers and meeting many of the teachers has made her more relaxed. I was also impressed with the parent information meeting with the magnet coordinator. There were things I did not know and he took time to go over certain aspects of the campus. I noticed many parents just as nervous as the kids but he took time to answer concerns afterward. The gradespeed part was good but the screen was hard to read and needed to be focused. I have been impressed with how strong the magnet areas are as well as the academics. From the start I was sold on this school with taking the magnet tour. The coordinator seems very excited about the school and it shows we walked around. Yes the school is older and needs some work in areas but the teachers make the difference.

10410 Manhattan Drive, Houston, TX  77096
Last modified Johnston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.