Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Wonderful teachers, caring administration. Great opportunities for kids to mature and learn and create lifellong friendships.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is an enormous amount of homework at this school. Some nights are just come home and do homework, and at times it carries into the next morning before school.

Develops character: Neutral

They try to but the system plays favorites. There are many programs to promote a good student culture including "bucket fillers".

My daughters have been going to this school for 2 years. The intentions are good, however, there is a strong cultural/social presence that permeates the school given the area. The zoned parents hate that it's magnet and look down on "outsiders". It's highly political and favorites run plenty!

I m not motivated to change schools, but I don t have anything amazing to report either. We bought a home specifically to be zoned, but meh. 1/2 way through K & I have yet to be impressed. PTO is huge & there seems to be a ton of involvement, plus a lot of chaos & lack of information, esp for K parents who don't automatically know things from past years. My LO tested GT but classes are integrated & I've not seen anything specific to push GT kids. We re seeing improvement in reading, (although, 1/2 through the year, my LO says last week was the very 1st time to read for the teacher to establish a reading level), & a general enjoyment for school, which is why I haven't pulled my LO. The language classes seem ok, but aren't what I expected since this is the language magnet. They seem basically the same as the classes I had in K-12, back when all schools had language. I ve been appalled by archaic practices re environmentalism-required to bring lunch in a single-use plastic bag for field trips?! And healthy eating habits-giving 5 yr olds potato chips and candy to teach a taste-test lesson?! Maybe my expectations are too high, & I should accept public school will never be perfect.

My child has been welcomed here since day one and has found both a great academic and social home at Kolter. We are so thrilled to have this school in our community! Dr. Shetzer, the teachers, the office staff, Ms. Garcia the school nurse, the librarian -- all are wonderful professionals who really seem to want the best for the kids. The community also benefits from a very high degree of parental involvement. Why anyone zoned to Kolter would choose a private school or another HISD is completely beyond me. This school is, as another reviewer put it, a gem.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SCHOOL! Most, if not all parents would like Kolter (HISD) to build another floor and call it Kolter MIDDLE School! My daughter loves the school, teachers, classmates and Dr. Shetzer. He's GREAT. All decisions are made to help the teachers and students. Parent involvement is A++++!

LOVE our neighborhood school! We have a strong Principal and teaching staff, strong parental involvement with the PTO and a diverse population. Our Prinicpal is new this year and he has really listened to parents and teachers- very approachable and does what is best for all students. Academically, our school is excellent and my child is challenged daily. This is a great school with a great community feeling for all!

Kolter is an example of everything right with public schools. The parental involvement is one of the best aspects. There is a thriving PTO which is able to provide great resources to the school, faculty and staff. The fact that so many parents volunteer their time and efforts in all aspects of the school is a positive influence on all the students. The kids care about the school because the parents care. The diverse culture at Kolter is a window into the world. Our children grow up, not seeing different races or colors. They see friends with different cultures, that expands their knowledge and eliminates prejudices. The education is top notch as the teachers place high expectations on all students, making them all reach their fullest potential. Dr Shetzer and the staff are committed to keeping this neighborhood school the best in HISD.

This school is the best thing since sliced bread! My 3 children are thriving and the faculty is loving and kind. I am miffed at the parent comment below. I wonder if the comment is a result of a school mandated punishment due to her student's behavior? Dr. Shetzer is a wonderful addition to Kolter and the doors are open for parent/teacher collaboration. This school has an active PTO and a very productive working relationship with faculty and staff. I encourage parents to come see for themselves. Kolter is an educational gem in HISD.

Last modified Kolter Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.