Posted May 06, 2014
My child has been welcomed here since day one and has found both a great academic and social home at Kolter. We are so thrilled to have this school in our community! Dr. Shetzer, the teachers, the office staff, Ms. Garcia the school nurse, the librarian -- all are wonderful professionals who really seem to want the best for the kids. The community also benefits from a very high degree of parental involvement. Why anyone zoned to Kolter would choose a private school or another HISD is completely beyond me. This school is, as another reviewer put it, a gem.

Posted March 05, 2013
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SCHOOL! Most, if not all parents would like Kolter (HISD) to build another floor and call it Kolter MIDDLE School! My daughter loves the school, teachers, classmates and Dr. Shetzer. He's GREAT. All decisions are made to help the teachers and students. Parent involvement is A++++!

Posted January 09, 2013
LOVE our neighborhood school! We have a strong Principal and teaching staff, strong parental involvement with the PTO and a diverse population. Our Prinicpal is new this year and he has really listened to parents and teachers- very approachable and does what is best for all students. Academically, our school is excellent and my child is challenged daily. This is a great school with a great community feeling for all!

Posted January 09, 2013
Kolter is an example of everything right with public schools. The parental involvement is one of the best aspects. There is a thriving PTO which is able to provide great resources to the school, faculty and staff. The fact that so many parents volunteer their time and efforts in all aspects of the school is a positive influence on all the students. The kids care about the school because the parents care. The diverse culture at Kolter is a window into the world. Our children grow up, not seeing different races or colors. They see friends with different cultures, that expands their knowledge and eliminates prejudices. The education is top notch as the teachers place high expectations on all students, making them all reach their fullest potential. Dr Shetzer and the staff are committed to keeping this neighborhood school the best in HISD.

Posted December 23, 2012
This school is the best thing since sliced bread! My 3 children are thriving and the faculty is loving and kind. I am miffed at the parent comment below. I wonder if the comment is a result of a school mandated punishment due to her student's behavior? Dr. Shetzer is a wonderful addition to Kolter and the doors are open for parent/teacher collaboration. This school has an active PTO and a very productive working relationship with faculty and staff. I encourage parents to come see for themselves. Kolter is an educational gem in HISD.

Posted December 21, 2012
As a member of the faculty at Kolter I find it interesting that a parent is giving a perspective from faculty and staff. The fact of the matter is every time we have a principal change (and it is not often) there is always going to be someone who does not like the new principal. The faculty and staff have embraced the new principal and representatives from the staff were on the committee who endorsed his hiring for our school. Every principal who has worked at Kolter has brought new ideas and perspectives that have always made the school even better than it was. Dr. Shetzer fits in very well at our school and teachers, parents, and children like his personality and his vision for our school. Kolter has always had a strong PTO and volunteer participation and that has not changed. We support the new principal and together we will continue to keep Kolter the great school it has always been.

Kolter Elementary School 3

Posted December 14, 2012
This school was a very good school, but beware that it has a new, inexperienced, principal who does simply not know how to run a school and it shows. I wish my views of this school would not change, but unfortunately this change has caused a lot of tension with teachers and staff and it shows. This principal is not somebody I would want to have twking ca of any school. We are running out if there as fast as we can. Even less parents want to volunteer now, and this is a school that always had big parent involvement. Also, beware that some teachers are very rude to the students and nothing is being done about that, even after it has been reported plenty of times.

Posted December 12, 2012
I disagree with the parent that made the post about the Pre K teacher. My child was in her room and flourished. She was prepared for Kinder and did outstanding. The kids love the teacher. She is very organized and is kid centered. If I had another Pre K child I would definately want this teacher again.

Kolter Elementary School 4

Posted November 16, 2011
Great school! Outstanding parent involvement, very good leadership, excellent group of teachers, exceptional teacher/school - parent communication. Both of my kids love it here! They are challenged and engaged. If I must nitpick, I wish the magnet program focused more on foreign language as opposed to culture.

Posted October 21, 2011
I was a little worried sending my son to public school in Houston because I went to private school growing up. We moved to Meyerland specifically so that we could send our son to Kolter after hearing rave reviews. We made an excellent decision. The school has high parent involvement which is very welcomed. The principal is fantastic and hands on. The teachers very good, although a couple of them are not great at using computers and are difficult to contact. As an educator, I am very satisfied with the curriculum and how the school is run. It's simply one of the best--if not THE best--elementary schools in Houston.

Kolter Elementary School
9710 Runnymeade Drive, Houston, TX  77096
Last modified Kolter Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kolter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top