Lamar High School

Public | 9-12 | 3225 students

Posted May 30, 2014

I attended Lamar High School. It was very pleasant. However, I warn you, that if you are going only to get the grade, you do not know anything about getting an education. It starts with you, your community, your businesses. Involvement from everybody. My best advice is "Team Up". Get out there and show everybody what Texas does well!

Posted May 28, 2014

The only reason I'm giving Lamar 3 stars out of five is because my respect for my teachers. The administration deserves a score of below zero! I've heard criticism about the teachers at Lamar and I don't say it's not true, but it is only true about the teachers who teach regular classes. I've had many IB and some AP classes and my teachers were wonderful. They were passionate about what they were teaching and could truly inspire us. I started liking subjects I used to hate after taking them as IB. But of course that's not the case with the regular or even pre-IB classes. I'm not sure I should express my opinion about the administration though! Let me just say that they treat students as cockroaches, don't mind ruining a student's entire future, and intentionally try to be the least helpful! No wonder that every year some of the best IB teachers leave Lamar for DeBakey and other schools... But I really want to say that IB teachers are so nice and supportive that I wish I could stay their student forever. So if you ever decide to go to Lamar (I'm not sure it's a good decision!), don't make the mistake of taking regular classes! Believe it or not, IB is more fun and interesting! :)

Posted May 14, 2014

I'm a student at Lamar and it's a disgusting to place to come to everyday to "learn". In fact, I've hardly learn anything this year at all. The teachers are extremely disorganized and half of the time aren't prepared or just simply lazy. The campus is old and gross and the staff doesn't do anything about it. We've had toilet paper in our trees and eggs splattered on the ground for over a month now and now has the decency to pick it up. The administrators are rude and don't even try to help students in need at all. It's honestly the worst school I've ever been to and I only came to this school because I thought it seemed fairly organized but wow was I wrong. If you're planning to bring your kids here or applying here, please think again and visit the campus before you come. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone I know.

Posted April 21, 2014

My school is Lamar High School located on Westheimer. I hate it here so much. They have blocked all the fun things on the internet like Netflix, Miniclip, etc. Even when your teacher allows you to use it they continue to block it. They have bars on the windows to make it seem we are in jail. And they also have a rule where if you have to use the restroom, the teacher has to call the A.P. and ask permission with your I.D. number. Then the A.P. makes the decision if you can use the restroom or not. Most of the teachers are rude and dont teach very well and my son has been trying to get into tutorials but there are only 3-4 tutorial teachers for that school. Even though the attendance is about 2,000-3,000 kids. Please!!!! Send your children somewhere else!!!!!

Posted June 15, 2013

Okay, this is going to explain everything about Lamar. Teachers and Curriculum: -Teachers do their best at what they do, sometimes they are restricted to what they want to teach by the administration. -The IB and regular curriculum are similar, they both involve IB in it, however, the IB curriculum focuses and other things that are more rigorous than the standard curriculum. Administration & Principal: -The Lamar administration has to be one of the most productive and helpful administrations out of many schools in Houston. -The assistant principals/ deans do a lot to help children, but sometimes can go a little far with some rules, I understand that there are rules, but sometimes they go a little too far with some rules. -The principal is definitely not seen very much, but he does a lot for the school that benefits the students. Overall: Lamar is a good choice if your child wants an education, however, there are some students at Lamar that don't have good manners and are disrespectful, but what do you expect for such a big school? Lamar has a lot of resources that most schools do not have, and Lamar is a good place to learn and grow.

Posted June 9, 2013

Lamar is riding on the faded glories of its past. The principal, a tyrant who kisses up to the destructive superintendent, is abusive to teachers and dismissive of parents. He says his door is open to parents but he does everything in his considerable power to avoid meeting with them. He is untouchable (see kissing up to superintendent, above) and our family does not foresee positive changes. Our child in in the purported IB Program but it is a joke. Most of the best teachers have left the school and even the Houston ISD and the ones left are having to teach courses in which they have insufficient knowledge of the material. There is academic rigor here and there, but overall it is at a very low level. We will not be sending our younger child to Lamar, not while that principal is still there.

Posted October 15, 2012

I'm new here this year ! Very crowdy school ... But good We have nice teachers but also really mean ones ... Our Conscellors are present for us and really they do a great job ! But the principal i have never seen him ... It is not a real ghetto school as the reviews says but the teachers are trying really hard ...

Posted August 27, 2012

I will post early observations from the 1st day in the hope that someone is listening. I heard many good things about Lamar from lots of people before my teen started there. However ... The school is seriously overcrowded and drive-up access is long and arduous. "Renovations" were not complete when school began, and air conditioning does not work well. The A/C issue is doubly important because many of the students smelled of smoke. Lockers have been removed, which may be a good strategy to address certain issues, but begs the question as to how and why things got to where locker removal was necessary. Science texts were >7 years out of date. This rating is preliminary and may change for better or worse, but what has come up so far concerns me. I'll follow up after some time.

Posted May 11, 2012

Absolutely worst school in Houston, you are better sending your child to a "lower rated" school in a worst part of town and you may even get better faculty and teachers. According to this website, a great school has excellent teachers, strong principal, and challenging academic programs. The only part I can really attest to is the last one and that is that the IB program is pretty challenging and gets students college ready. However, the majority of this ghetto school chooses not to participate in this. All the good teachers have left, or are trying their hardest to. It isn't a school ,it's a daycare. The teachers don't teach, the kids teach themselves. The handful of teachers here that are great really need to move onto a better school. I am ashamed to say that my child has gone here and I don't plan on keeping her here next year. I don't intend to send my younger children here either. If you can afford it, send them to a private school, if not, try Bellaire. Maybe there the students know who the principal is, whats his name again? I don't think anyone really knows or cares who the principal is, he doesn't do anything anyways. STAY AWAY FROM LAMAR.

Posted April 5, 2012

I believe the principal and administration are doing the best they can with the limited tools and budget they have, not to mention their daily batle with a too-powerful teacher's union. Do you really think the principal or staff can pick and choose which students should attend Lamar? Do you think the principal would love to fire some of the dead-weight teachers he is forced to keep? (Note there are some outstanding teachers still at Lamar H.S.) I feel America (and some of bloggers) blame our education system for our youth's short-comings, however I believe the root of the problem is a "man crisis" in this country. Specifically, no man in the house (or an unengaged/uninterested man in the house) usually equals an unmotivated, unaccountable and undisciplined kid which creates a bad learning and social environment for the rest of the kids. Teen pregnancies, drug and alchohol use (not just experimenting), doing the minimum amount of academics just to get a diploma (or dropping out)...usually symptons of a 1 parent family. Look, it's hard enough to raise to a child today with two fit and engaged parents that are watching their kids like a hawk! Stop blaming the school system.

Posted March 28, 2012

My child applied to several magnet programs and chose Lamar. My child enjoys his teachers but still could not recognize the principal out of a lineup. Very impersonal school. We had problems with a teacher exhibiting incompetence and inappropriateness in the classroom. Don't bother going to the principal. He doesn't care. You might get lip service but he will protect the teacher. His 'investigation' is to find out what the teacher says and back them. HISD has more issues than finance and testing. It is a broken system. They are banking on the fact that the family will not go public with an issue in the classroom and cover the issue up to protect themselves. Very disappointed.

Posted March 1, 2012

This once great school has deteriorated into a ghetto school. The prime reason for this is the principal who would be compared to the Roman emperor Nero who played his fiddle while Rome burned around him. He refuses to believe there is anything wrong with the school while he isolates himself in his office. My child couldn't even identify who he is when I showed her a group of faculty pictures. He has allowed a large group of unmotivated and under achieving students to be transferred to the campus which is causing havoc in many of the classes. The classes are 40+ students, the teachers are miserable, and teachers are planning on leaving if they can find a job somewhere else. I'm transferring my child to Vanguard High School or Bellaire for the next school year. It's a crying shame that the HISD administration doesn't hold this man accountable for what he has done to this school.

Posted February 23, 2012

Disgusting. This school smells like dead people, there are ants crawling everywhere, rats in classrooms too! Not only that, it's terrible! I have over thirty five kids in all my classes, and that's the lowest! I haven't learned one thing in my freshman year here and am trying to find a school to switch to. I'm so behind and most my teachers don't even teach me anything. This school spends money on stuff for looking good than teaching the kids! I give kudos to my algebra teacher though, he's amazing! It's to small for all the kids, and it's terrible sitting in those small classrooms.It's also really ghetto. The only good thing is that the kids are very open minded and you will make friends easily here. But there are a lot of drugs floating around the school. I've heard that it gets better your Junior year. Nevertheless, I hate this school, and it is disgusting. And I dont' know many kids who like it. I actually know a lot of kids who are switching next year. To each is their own though.

Posted November 30, 2011

do not ever send your child to this school if you want the best for them. i highly feel bad for the students who attend lamar high school. the classrooms are so crowded there are about 45-50 students in each class!!! my son had to sit on the floor in 3 of his classes. the only good high schools that aren't ghetto in HISD are bellaire high school and carnegie vanguard high school. i live in the montrose area and am now transferring my child to bellaire. he loves it! do not let your child attend this terrible school.. SO ghetto too. terrible environment. not happy.

Posted September 18, 2011

I have attend Lamar High school for 4 years, I have to say that the school offers very good education however, the administration is terrible. There are so many rules imposed by the administration on the teachers that in many instants it prevent teachers from doing there jobs. I took IB classes through out the 4 years, and the school main focus was not the students but the way the school looked, nonetheless there was a horrible money management and there were a lot of issues that causes many good students to lose track. I do however have huge respect for many of the teachers there, because they are truly great I was very involved with the school's clubs and such however school does not offer the students the necessary support to rise to success.

Posted September 4, 2011

Lamar is ridiculous. They're overcrowded, with almost 50 kids in every class. In some cases, there are even students sitting on the floor or windowsill. If you're placed in the wrong class, you might as well give up on trying to get switched out of it. The administration is very messy and it's easy to fall through the cracks. I'm a sophomore there, and I'm eager to leave as soon as possible.

Posted June 14, 2011

LAMAR IS A HORRIBLE SCHOOL. Everyone is so caught up in their cliques it makes it hard to make friends if you don't know anybody. The teachers are great are a lot better than the students!

Posted April 6, 2011

I called Lamar school because I was considering moving to that area and having my boys attend that school. The lady that answered the phone made me believe every bad review they have received. She was rude and mean sounding. I would not consider...

Posted February 4, 2011

Principal is autocratic and puts up walls to boot. many instances of parents not receiving basic assistance from principal, students needs ignored and teachers under thumb of principal. My daughter was IB and received mostly good classes to a very high level and a couple of awesome teachers but found IB paperwork and process onerous and not value-added. Great kids though -- diverse intelligent --and despite all odds they did end up and some very well-respected colleges/ univ. Jan Forney

Posted October 10, 2010

Lamar is a large, public inner city school in Houston, Texas. They have 4000 students, but do an amazing job in getting many of them involved in the International Baccalaureate program.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

970 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

971 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

765 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

750 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

754 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

757 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

824 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

825 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

826 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

824 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students97%

Economically disadvantaged99%
Special education85%
Limited English proficient (LEP)90%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

1039 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

825 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

647 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

642 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

830 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

831 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

5 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

655 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

816 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 16%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields

• JAMES MCSWAIN
Fax number
  • (713) 535-3769

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options