Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Grateful to: Student

Posted February 03, 2016
I made some amazing friends there. My 6th grade and 8th grade were probably one of my best years. In 6th grade I was able to make one of my closest friend who loves me so very much and ever since that first day we met we have been the best of friends and he's always there for me. I dated two of the best guys during middle school too. Both which I admired a lot. In 8th grade I met my final group of friends but sadly it was too late and we had to go our own ways after that. I still love each of my friends. I;m so proud of my friends and I know they will always be there for me. Apart from that I think I had 1-2 teachers that were really lovely.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted February 03, 2016
My math teachers were unable to guide me in the right direction to become better at math. Many teachers were very rude at times and scary to approach. There were many goof teachers too.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted February 03, 2016
At times it was ridiculous the amount of work we got. It was not busy work so that was really good. But the amount of homework that would pile up from so many classes could be suffocating.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted February 03, 2016
Debate Team, Sports and dance team build up students to be more determined to reach their goals.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted February 03, 2016
During my 7th grade year I was bullied. Many of the kids there would constantly make fun of other kids to entertain the class when we had substitutes. My friend for example had one of the hardest times and got bullied in 6 and 7th grade.

Lanier Middle School 3

Posted February 03, 2016
It was very bad for me at many times. It emotionally hurt me a lot. It also built me up for many more things in the future.

Lanier Middle School 1

Posted December 08, 2015
I am a student at this school and one word to describe it. Horrible. 1. the admin are very slack and ignore you. I stand there waiting for someoneto help me and they are right there making copies and ignoring me. I try to get their attention but they ignore me. 2. Some but not all teachers are horrible. So horrible I could OMG them badly. 5 out of 32 teachers I know are actually nice and well… a good teacher. i had a teacher that forced our class to buy flair pens. Those are super expensive for what you get. 3. They say that if you walk in the hall without a signature signed planner by the teacher, u get in trouble. I agree with that rule, but if you come from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor for a teacher errand,(remember, no planner) and to send students back all the way back by the admin, that’s crazy. 4. GSG. Okay, so GSG is Guidance and Support group. It’s basically like homeroom, but thirty minutes and IB activities. I admit, the games are pretty okay, but forcing kids to not do some homework in GSG? You could fail a grade with missing assignments. 5. The school is very judgmental. the students and the students and admin. This is 2015, so I know when I say so. This is first person point of view. The students are racist. they are mean, and are bullies. It’s not like I’m a wimp, but if you ask any student in the school that has been there for at least 5 months to name at least 3 infamous bullies they know, I assure you, they know. The admin and faculty tend to blame children for many things even if the is the student’s fault. It’s like they rub it into kids’ faces. 6. Though this school has many bad things, it has good qualities: - SOME teachers - Good curriculum - very hard, not challenging, but hard——————? - if you have a good taste in friends, you will find the best friend 7.I would not recommend this school to any students who are innocent and fragile. I have seen the inside of this school. I have seen good students get influenced BADLY. Even me. I’d say I’m not innocent. I’ve seen and heard way took much to be innocent. You don’t need to read this sentence over again, but I have seen couples making out on stair wells. 8. Please don’t let your child be ruined by this school. If you think your child can be tuff, then let them try, but this is a warning from my opinion and is biased. See what your child can do.

Lanier Middle School 5

Posted January 07, 2015
I'm not sure why there's so many bad reviews here. Maybe a new principal got in and fired everyone. Or maybe the negative reviewers confused this place with some place in Iraq or Pershing. Actually, this is definitely the best school in Houston or maybe a close second to St. John's depending on your priorities. No, most teachers aren't uncaring, and the GSG thing is something most other schools should learn from. No, very few people are racist or judge you for being poor (very few people do that anyway) Actually, most people are really supportive and care about you Yes, there are many kids who don't want to be there and are just screwing around but that's true in every public school, and most private schools. Many of the people here are really smart and go on to really selective high schools and colleges And why should the school be shut down? The building has peeling paint, but tons of schools do (some older ones in New England take pride in it) I'm really glad I picked this place instead of T.H. Rogers

Lanier Middle School 4

Posted June 05, 2014
Alright, yes, Lanier isn't a PERFECT school,but it is definitely an amazing one (yes, I am a former student at Lanier (and I'm moving on to Bellaire HS)). My teachers throughout the years have been kind and very good at teaching (besides my 6th grade science teacher and 7th grade math teacher (who I think taught elementary school before he taught 7th grade), and the administration is very helpful with any problems you have (schedule issues, bullying (if any), etc.). There are also foreign languages that challenge the students as much as their core classes do, and electives that are very enjoyable. Now, you may be wondering why I gave this school 4 stars when this looks like a 5-star review. Well, to be honest, I feel a little bad for the students at Lanier now because they are doing some changes (for example, merging vanguard and non-vanguard students into the same cluster). It feels a little pointless and that's what made me remove the 5th star. In conclusion, I recommend this school for any student who wants to be challenged in the Vanguard program, or any future middle-schooler who wants to be challenged in general. Go Purple Pups!

Lanier Middle School 5

Posted May 21, 2014
I agree with many of the reviews. Lanier is not for everyone. This is an excellent public school for G/T kids in a large, public school district. No school gets everything right all the time, but if you are evaluating middle schools, I would encourage you to tour Lanier. There is no hard-sell, and I don't think anyone affiliated with the school would encourage you to choose Lanier if it isn't the right choice for your student(s). Our family has been able to appreciate the overwhelming balance of positives at Lanier: diversity, evenly-enforced disciplinary policy, professional leadership, differentiated instruction in an IB framework (this alone has been invaluable), and a wonderful community of students, parents, administrators and teachers. Are there teachers that could improve? Yes. But if you can cite a school that rates an all-star staff by all their students, I would say that you have found Utopia. If your kids are interested in challenging themselves in any number of areas, I think Lanier may be a really terrific option for them.

2600 Woodhead Street, Houston, TX  77098
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 69 reviews. (713) 942-1900
Last modified Lanier Middle School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.