Posted August 23, 2014
Lovett has always been a great school - exemplary fine arts magnet. And since we got Mrs. Dawn Thompson as Principal (2012?), Lovett has been on upward trajectory. She is super organized, friendly and accessible. At the start of year, she would outline her program for improving every aspect of school experience and the entire school actually follows through. I love their 3Rs (Respectful, Responsible and Ready) theme that is woven into the entire school experience. It's a school where everyone knows everybody, and my son and daughter (grades 1 and 4) love the school very much! Extended day (3:15 to 5:30) is great too!

Posted April 06, 2014
My daughter started attending Lovett as a Kindergartner; she's now a second grader. We love it at Lovett!

Posted April 03, 2014
Owl's Nest through 5th Grade & my child is now prepared and met the standards for HISD's premier VanGuard & Middle Schools. Lovett inspires children from day one!

Posted April 02, 2014
My son has been in the school for three years. I like it because he likes it.

Posted May 12, 2013
My daughter is attending this school for three years now. The general schooling environment is excellent. We are having great time communicating and dealing with the staff at school, and with the other parents. Eventhough we moved, and an elementary school is just a walking distance from the new home, we preferred leaving her at Lovett. However, the teachers are to concentrate more and help those young children, because there is still some potential, and they must exert some more effort. The previous principal was so energetic that it caused the current one my, relatively, low rating.

Posted November 06, 2012
This looks like a wonderful school, but after touring, I am concerned that the GT classroom experience is significantly better than the regular one, and as I believe I am looking for a superior education for my "regular" child, I'm disappointed with this. The GT classroom was chock full of exciting learning opportunities while the regular classroom was very much toned down. For example, the GT student job board had something like ten differentiated classroom jobs for students to rotate through while the regular classroom had a "boy helper" and a "girl helper." This may seem like a silly detail, but it's the difference between a student-centered learning environment and a teacher-centered one - and that makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned as a parent and a teacher.

Posted August 24, 2012
I love this school and Owl's Nest (tuition based PreK3, PK4) is top notch. Administration will bend over backwards for parents and students: staff knows students by name- even those in different grades. Academics are strong, and staff is supportive if a student is struggling. I'm a product of private school education and this school is better than some of the local private schools academically, socially (very nurturing), and artistically. Parent involvement is high, but not required. There is a strong sense of community. There is a decent amount of homework that reinforces the challenging class material. The G/T program teaches the same fundamental curriculum as non G/T, expectations are just higher(i.e. might cover it in a shorter amount of time or have 2 quizzes instead of 1). Spelling and vocab pre-tests allow your child to focus to more advanced items instead of spending all week studying for a test on material that they've already mastered. I highly recommend this school.

Posted February 28, 2012
My son went to private school through middle school and suggested that my daughter go to our zoned school so that she would have friends living close by us. It was the best decision that we made to attend Lovett 2 1/2 years ago (my daughter is now in 2nd grade). We love all of the faculty and staff and believe that Mrs. Simson is an awesome and supportive Principal. The new building is beautiful and the Fine Arts department is the best. The PTO is very involved and parents are always encouraged to do as much (or as little) as you want.

Posted February 01, 2012
My son is in Kinder and he loves school. He is already reading, writing sentences and comprehending what he has written/read. The new campus is gorgeous and the staff and PTO is hard working and so sweet. . : )They celebrate good behavior and educates whole child with all extra programs after school AND the campus still has art class! and a full time nurse! Ask around scool many have part time nurse and no art programs at all. Research ask question every school should have a full time nurse and art. LOVETT does.

Posted June 29, 2010
My son has been going to this school since the 1st great. The overall community is great. It's grounded with parent participation. Great atmosphere for healthy learning.

Lovett Elementary School
8814 South Rice Avenue, Houston, TX  77096
Last modified Lovett Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lovett Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top