Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

Since Mrs. Thompson arrived, she has really emphasized positive reinforcement of student conduct. There was already a pretty good culture there, but it has gotten better!

Both of my daughters (who are now in the 6th and 8th grade) attended Lovett K-5, and they both excelled and loved the program! They did band and orchestra, respectively, and loved their school experience. It was a wonderful school with dedicated teachers, and Dawn Thompson is a highly professional, effective and dedicated leader who I expect to remain at Lovett for at least the next several years. I miss the old building (although it was falling apart), but the amazing magnet program is completely worth it. I have heard from other parents that boys have a harder time, but that was not my experience so I can't comment on it.

E.O. Lovett Elementary is a Fine Arts Magnet school. The majority of the students enter Lovett under the HISD Magnet program. This means that most students do not live within the zoned boundary. Most students attend Lovett because their parents want the integrated Fine Arts curriculum for their children and are willing to make the sacrifice necessary to attend a school outside their neighborhood. In addition to this parental commitment to educational excellence, the school has invested in features which supplement learning; a f-t science teacher, a f-t librarian, 2 f-t P.E. instructors, a reading specialist and affordable (less than $100/month) after school care, including additional fee-based programs. Also, I found the teachers to be more than competent and very dedicated. I have a student in her 6th year at Lovett. She is GT - the majority of the 2014/2015 6th grade is GT. I believe that these children are high performing because of the brain and skill-set development brought on by the early introduction and continued emphasis on the fine arts, as well as the excellent teacher and parent community support they receive.

This school had be a night mare for me and my children...if u have a child who is a slow learner,and needs nontraditional stimulation this is not the school for u..Teachers a glorified caretaker in my opinion. ...THE IS A REAL CODE OF BLUE AT THIS SCHOOL.Don't challenge these teacher or ur kids will fail.....

Lovett has always been a great school - exemplary fine arts magnet. And since we got Mrs. Dawn Thompson as Principal (2012?), Lovett has been on upward trajectory. She is super organized, friendly and accessible. At the start of year, she would outline her program for improving every aspect of school experience and the entire school actually follows through. I love their 3Rs (Respectful, Responsible and Ready) theme that is woven into the entire school experience. It's a school where everyone knows everybody, and my son and daughter (grades 1 and 4) love the school very much! Extended day (3:15 to 5:30) is great too!

My daughter started attending Lovett as a Kindergartner; she's now a second grader. We love it at Lovett!

Owl's Nest through 5th Grade & my child is now prepared and met the standards for HISD's premier VanGuard & Middle Schools. Lovett inspires children from day one!

My son has been in the school for three years. I like it because he likes it.

My daughter is attending this school for three years now. The general schooling environment is excellent. We are having great time communicating and dealing with the staff at school, and with the other parents. Eventhough we moved, and an elementary school is just a walking distance from the new home, we preferred leaving her at Lovett. However, the teachers are to concentrate more and help those young children, because there is still some potential, and they must exert some more effort. The previous principal was so energetic that it caused the current one my, relatively, low rating.

This looks like a wonderful school, but after touring, I am concerned that the GT classroom experience is significantly better than the regular one, and as I believe I am looking for a superior education for my "regular" child, I'm disappointed with this. The GT classroom was chock full of exciting learning opportunities while the regular classroom was very much toned down. For example, the GT student job board had something like ten differentiated classroom jobs for students to rotate through while the regular classroom had a "boy helper" and a "girl helper." This may seem like a silly detail, but it's the difference between a student-centered learning environment and a teacher-centered one - and that makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned as a parent and a teacher.

Last modified Lovett Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.