Houston, TX

Posted May 20, 2015
As an involved grandparent with 45 years in education, with teaching experience in pre-school, elementary, middle and high school as well as college, I am very impressed with everything about Poe Elementary. Students receive attention to their individual academic, social and physical needs from the staff in the front office, the teachers and the principal. This give each student the opportunity to reach their potential

Posted January 30, 2015
I have 3 girls that attend Poe and we absolutely love it! We had friends that opted for private school but Poe is such a great public school in the heart of Boulevard Oaks that we were compelled to support it. All of our teachers have been fabulous and my children have been academically challenged. The school is rich with culture and diversity. It's a Fine Arts magnet with a top program but my girls have also been learning advanced math and science. The PTO is strong and we have great parents. I could go on and on about our school but you will have to experience it for yourself. Go Poe Ravens!

Posted October 09, 2013
My son just started kindergarten about 2 months ago. So far we are very happy with the teachers and the principal whom I found engaging and responsive. The school is well care for the class materials are great. Most importantly my son loves it so I am so grateful that POE teaches my son that school is fun!

Posted April 10, 2012
Poe is a warm and welcoming school with committed teachers, ambitious arts performances and programs, and engaged students who emerge equally confident of their ability to both replicate the style of Van Gogh in a line drawing, and ace the next math or spelling test. As the transformation to IB gets into full swing next year, this school is only going to get better - when my youngest goes to junior high my family will have spent 12 years in this wonderful community, a really magical place buried in the heart of one of the best neighborhoods in Houston!

Posted April 09, 2012
We'll be graduating from Poe after 5 great years at this small town feeling magnet school. My kids scored very high for Lanier Vanguard and we feel very prepared for the rigorsof middles school. The fine arts programs are amazing, mine will take their 5 years of suzuki violin under Debbie Elafros on to middle school orchestra, our Poe Dancers taught by Traci Prince Greene are fabulous, and the track coach Linda Suttles also coaches Lanier Track. Our principal Jeff Amerson knows kids by name, eats with them in the cafeteria and is totally committed to their welfare and being partners with teachers and parents. Our PTO is incredible and committed, and our teachers are strong and love our kids. IB will be a great addition to our academic process.

Posted April 09, 2012
This is my 5th year at Poe Elementary and love our experience and this wonderfully diverse and welcoming school. I have two very different children who attend the school - one who is in the Gifted and Talented Program, one with Special Needs. I truly believe that they are both getting what they need in an elementary education. They are both supported, challenged and cared for each and every day. The teachers are creative and go beyond "teaching to the tests." Our family LOVES Poe Elementary!

Posted November 17, 2011
We are in our 7th year at Poe and absolutely LOVE our neighborhood school! We have a strong Principal and teaching staff, strong parental involvement with the PTO, and a diverse population in a beautiful historic building in the heart of the prettiest section of Houston! My children have been challenged academically and benefited from the fine arts curriculum. And I'm very excited about our school implementing the IB program. Check out the PTO website www.poepto.org to learn about some of the unique experiences our children are exposed to (ie, Fine Arts Career Week, All Art Day, etc).

Posted November 14, 2011
We are in our 10th year at Poe and 3rd principal and we are still as comitted as our first day. The school is a gem in the neighborhood and my children have gotten an exemplary education. The school is diverse, historic, warm and welcoming.

Poe Elementary School

Posted April 26, 2010
Poe has excellent academics, an outdoor learning vegetable garden, and a preschool program. It is serving the needs of the community.

Poe Elementary School 4

Posted September 16, 2009
Teachers and staff are very attentive, and my son is challenged and encouraged daily! Love it!

Poe Elementary School
5100 Hazard Street, Houston, TX  77098
Last modified Poe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Poe Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top