Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Agree

Vanguard Kindergarten had a weekly homework menu, though, we asked for a more challenging worksheet toward the end. Also, a weekly spelling test with bonus words such as "Excellent," "Justice," and "Spaceship."

Develops character: Strongly agree

In my opinion, there is no better marker of fairness than wishing the best for all the kids in such a diverse school (ethnically and economically). I'm not aware of projects or programs to develop honesty and integrity, but I've always thought that something that parents should do.

So here's how we ended up at Roosevelt, a school we'd never heard of: Went through HISD's complicated magnet process and picked only 3 Vanguard schools (not knowing that my son would easily qualify Vanguard). Obviously, we got none of our schools. On the second round, we found Roosevelt (why was it so hidden during the first round)?, visited the three-year-old campus building—toured its brand new facilities, modern computer labs, excellent, well-stocked and amenity-filled library—and, finally, talked to Kindergarten Vanguard teacher Ms. Trayers. A year later, I can only say, we can't have made a better choice. Ms. Trayers is an encouraging teacher who challenges her students. My son has emerged from Kindergarten reading at an advanced level, doing mental math, and able to discuss civil rights, debate philosophy, and write a haiku. He knows what onomatopoeia is, he's deeply interested in the scientific process, and he's a coder. Yes, coding for Kindergartners is an option for Roosevelt, and Ms. Trayers comes in early for interested students (and stays late for a book club). Every teacher I've met at Roosevelt has been deeply dedicated to their students. The school is respectful to their kids and encourages parent participation. Don't go by demographic dramatization at sites like this—Roosevelt is proof of that. Diversity is an incredible thing. The area around the school needs improvement—Stokes needs vegetation management and a clean up around Airline, but remember, this is a neighborhood that's on the periphery of 6-10 and may look different in another five years. Look at the school, the teachers, the calibre of education. It's pretty stellar!

I have had my kids for the last 4 years at Roosevelt and it has been a great experience. I was so impress with the leadership of the Principal Mr. Armando Lujan, who always showed great attention for our kids. Students at Roosevelt have the opportunity to shine on every fair, either Science or Social studies, the kids have to create a prop, dress as the character and present their work to their class and the community too. Homework is big, there's a lot of pressure on our kids, but is justified to their progress. As volunteering, Roosevelt has a big group of parents always ready to cooperate and help.Some teachers go the extra mile on our kids education by creating activities to help our community, The teachers at Roosevelt show genuine interest on helping our kids to succeed. It has been approximately a year without principal, buy Mrs. Jean did a great job by keeping our school rolling as if Mr. Lujan should be there with great attitude and leadership. Recently we have a new Principal that is as well involved in each activity of Roosevelt. Having a new building is an extra. Great environment. Friendly staff. I definitely recommend this school as an excellent choice for your kids.

Excellent School. Just go and visit the campus. Staff is outstanding. You will not be disappointed.

This is an excellent school. After visiting different schools in the area we thought Roosevelt was the best. They have great programs and the staff is very good, always helpful.

My children ended up at Roosevelt because Herrera was capped. I have to say that after visiting Herrera and Roosevelt several times over the past two years Roosevelts' staff is has a better attitude. I like the fact that the children are treated as if they understand and have a choice when it comes to their behavior. The children are being thought resposibility, good citizenship and subject matter. My only concern is that some students seem to be problem children and it is very difficult to deal with them because the staff has no power to do anything about it. This problem is not specific to any school. Most kids in this area are not children they know things and language that is not child like. unfortunantly, it is a reflection of who raises them.

I have had children at Roosevelt for seven years now and Dr Parker was outstanding. Mrs Mir was good as well. However Mrs Rodriguez that is presently the principal has a lot to be desired. She talks to the children as if they are adults and she does not handle complaints in an appropriate time manner.She is also very defensive when a parent confronts her about a problem instead of being diplomatic about it.

Last modified Roosevelt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.