Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

I love my neighborhood and want this school to succeed. But I cannot recommend this school and advise parents to explore other options. We've been here for 4 years and we've had problems every single year. We started our first year with a very poor quality teacher. We then had a teacher who was very disrespectful to the children. At first I did not believe my child's complaints until I personally was on the receiving end of this teacher's behavior. I felt my concerns were not taken seriously and this teacher remains in the classroom. I know for a fact that we are not the only family to have this issue. Also, there is a huge ongoing problem with 4th and 5th graders having access to drugs. Several children were involved in a marijuana incident. According to my child, only one student was punished. Also, a student left campus and not one teacher noticed for hours. Parents were not informed and the police were involved. Bullying is also a big problem that is overlooked by the school. The principal is very nice, but I question her leadership in these situations.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

She's a very kind woman, but not leadership material.

Develops character: Disagree

Bullying is tolerated by teachers and the administration. I have even seen some teachers exhibit bullying behavior towards students. The administration says they do not condone this behavior, but it has continued.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Sinclair has some awesome educators. My child adores many teachers here. We've also been unsatisfied with a large number of the teachers.

We've been at Sinclair 4 years (our oldest is a 3rd grader and our second child is in Kindergarten) and we could not be more pleased with how they have thrived at Sinclair. The teachers are excellent and we LOVE the principal. This year they enacted a "low homework" policy, so now we have more time for play and learning through family time, rather than being stuck on worksheets. The PTO is active but not as overblown as some of the bigger schools; if you want to be involved there is a spot for you! Their campus has a huge amount of outside space. Sinclair truly is a gem!

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Homework is no more than 30min -1hour worth of work

This review is based on fact that I found out from my daughter that a 5th grade girl left school in middle of the day and no one knew she left. The school did not notify parents of incident. Then a few weeks later they found a 5th grader selling marijuana during recess. We did get a letter about this incident. Also a few of these 5th grade girls wear acrylic nails! Take your daughters elsewhere! Education is good but under circumstances I'd select a different school.

They lost my child the first week for not listening. They are not prepared for divided homes. No matter how many times you explain a difficult/challenging dual home situation, they don't care to help. They act like divorce is a foreign concept. It's 2016! Not 1950. They don't give both parents information ultimately hurting your childs potential. They ignore your request for dual copies so both parties are prepared and can be the best for your child(ren). Front desk is rude and incompetent when asked what all is sent weekly (just a folder of random stuff). They have terrible communication. I do not plan on sending my child here again. They will treat you with disrespect if you confront issues. Not everyone has a perfect amicable situation. It is up to everyone to work as a team for the well being of the child. I'm highly disappointed in this schools lack of preparation in "different" situations. It's outdated and they're rating is based on people who probably didn't have a situation like mine. The only person affected was my child. Though he preformed well academically. My suggestion go to a different school if you are divorced and need a school who can work with your sitation- or have a dual home situation. This one was a waste of a magnet. Lesson learned.

Amount of homework: Disagree

1.5 hours of homework a week for a kindergartener?!?! NPR spoke about how each grade should require 10 minutes of homework starting in First grade. When does a child get to have fun when the teacher makes you their work?!?

Develops character: Strongly agree

My kiddo was poked in the eye twice in Kinder. The teacher and principal took the time to call me and make me aware that they were implementing a class about personal space so they could help void this in the future. A+!

Last modified Sinclair Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.