Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Walnut Bend Elementary School 1

Posted May 19, 2016
The school has change focus and demographics the last coupe of years. Only by comparison to other bad schools in HISD could this school be rated well.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
I am grateful for Mrs. Shaw. She saw Jacobs potential and was his advocate for moving him into Mrs. Gilio's class for 3rd grade from his SLC class. She communicates with me regularly and has provided support and guidance for Jacob and all of us in his family who want to see him succeed. She's kind, smart and cares passionately about her students and her work.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 04, 2016
The SLC teacher Mrs Shaw teaches social skills and these transfer to the regular teachers and other students as well. She is a wonderful teacher.

Posted May 04, 2016
From the beginning, now Principal Dahlquist supported my son in joining the AU-SLC class at Walnut Bend and we had many challenges starting in 1st grade. Now my son is a well-adjusted 3rd grader actively mainstreaming in a typical classroom with the support of his SLC teacher Mrs. Shaw. Mrs. Shaw is in constant communication about support for Jacob. He's been very successful with Mrs. Gilio and his new friends in 3rd grade. I am so grateful for their guidance, support and wisdom. The SLC class at this school is a rare gem in the HISD system. My only concern now is finding an equally exemplary middle school after 5th grade!

Posted February 08, 2014
Walnut Bend is a great neighborhood school that meets the needs of all children. The building is beautiful and the teachers and staff are top notch.

Walnut Bend Elementary School 1

Posted September 30, 2013
Walnut Bend is the worst Elementary I have ever dealt with. I can never speak to anyone when I call. I have left my number more than once for the principal to call me and she never does. The administrative staff is very rude and never seem to have any answers or useful information.

Posted August 10, 2013
I love Walnut Bend the teachers and staff really care about all the students. my Daughter loves going there everyday.she has perfect attendance.They always help children if they are falling behind on a subject, they will work with them after school. walnut bend is a wonderful school.

Posted January 21, 2013
This is my sons first year ever in school he has always been home with me. His PreK teacher is wonderful he has a speech problem but she has him counting and knowing all his ABC's. Although he wasnt quite ready for school they worked with me and this semester he is going all day and doing very well. Principal is excellant and very involved and the teachers visit other schools so they can get tips on how to become better teachers which in my opinion they already are!!!

Posted July 15, 2011
My oldest son went from kinder to 5th grade and now my other two littles are there also. They both enjoyed their classmates and teachers last year.The staff is very friendly and they do know most of the students name even when they are not in their class. I have teacher emails and can easily reach them that way or by phone.

Posted April 02, 2011
Walnut Bend is a great school. We sent our son there last year to give it a try and we are so pleased with the quality of education that we will send our daughter there next year. The faculty is fully committed to the success of each child. My son is in the gifted and talented program. I'm continually amazed at the level of work expected of my son. It's on par and maybe even beyond the expectations of the Private School we used to attend. Don't be put off my the ranking of acceptable. In our neighborhood there are a lot of children who need extra help but this in no way diminishes the quality of the education my son is receiving. I wish more parents in the neighborhood what realize what a great bargain they have in their own backyards. I've wasted a lot of money on private schools that I should have saved for college.

10620 Briar Forest Drive, Houston, TX  77042
Last modified Walnut Bend Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.