Houston, TX

Yates High School 5

Posted May 20, 2015
Historic landmark in Houston, TX. Located on the brink of downtown in the Infamous Third Ward Community. The area is developing and will be an outstanding place for youth to get real world experience. Yates has sent students to various parts of the country for college (e.g Texas A&M, University of Texas, Oklahoma University, Oregon, UMass, UTSA, Howard University, and to their neighboring colleges University of Houston and Texas Southern University.

Yates High School 5

Posted September 09, 2014
This year has turned out to be successful great job JY. My daughter has told me nothing but good things she told me the teachers explain they self well when teaching

Yates High School 4

Posted July 20, 2011
I am a student at Yates. The teachers are great its the kids that dont pay attention so the teacher isnt going to stop for the misbehaving child ,and prevent others from learning. The misbehaving student is givin 3 warnings before getting put out. The only problem with Yates is the staff (not including the teachers) and One of counselors are rude and they curse like there in the streets but,the kids do to.

Posted April 10, 2010
Admin staff offers no privacy when in conference with them assit principle has a very ugly attitude. Always talk down on the students. Principle allows staff to curse out the students. Horrible school. You only hav a hand full of staff that cares.

Posted April 10, 2010
My daughter is a junior there i really hate that i transferred her there. You have no privacy when in conference with the principle and the admin staff. He allows his staff to curse out students there. There main focus is on the basketball team. Theydont have to attend class and can walk the halls allday and it's excused. The princple office is always loaded with at least 5 other people in the and expect for you to meet with him and he dont intrduce no one to you once you enter the room. They are very unprofessional at that school.

Posted February 09, 2010
My son is a freshman at this school, 2009-2010. He says out of the 8 classes he is attending, he is only learning from 2 instructors. He feels he is not learning anything. He says all they do is sit and are told to be quiet. I'm so frustrated because this is often the case in our public schools in HISD - particularly the schools in the lower incomed area which we reside. I would give anything for my child to know his true potential and find him a school that is actually teaching the children.

Yates High School 2

Posted October 15, 2008
The school needs more parent involvment. No teacher should raise your child for you, Teachers are there to educate, not babysit.

Posted January 23, 2008
As a proud alumni of Jack Yates Senior High, I would definatly send my child to this school. And now that i'm in college I realized Yates helped to teach me many things about life and its responsibilities. School's are supposed to be used as tools for learning. Learning just doesn't mean academics but life lessons as well as working with others. And this is exactly what takes place at Yates. If it wasn't for Yates and the staff I wouldn't be in college on a full scholarship(out of state)

Posted August 08, 2007
As an alumnus and an active volunteer and participant in the third ward community, the only thing that plagues this school is the same the same thing that plagues most majority african american schools, parents who want babysitters for their children fron 7am-6pm, teachers who are unappreciated and suffocated in their creativity and talents by city, state and federal regulations, administration tied to the government as puppets instead of their dreams of educating leaders, students who are bombarded with statistics, lies, conspiracies, communities and classrooms which take away their dreams, hopes, and good nature replacing it with a thug/street/criminal/survivor mindset. I don't blame the students or the teachers. I blame the parents and administration for not stepping up and defending our children and educators, for not honoring their daily efforts and for not being accountable for their own flaws and downfalls To my fellow lions, keep roaring, keep fighting, keep dreaming

Posted March 30, 2007
As a teacher and parent, there is no way I would send my child to Yates. It has very intelligent teachers who are being suffocated by an indifferent administration. The Special Education Department is the worst. I have no confidence in this school.

3703 Sampson Street, Houston, TX  77004
Last modified Yates High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Yates High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top