Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Neutral

Well not fully sure, however my child has informed me that at times other students are not turning in. I have asked my child if he has received any homework on multiple days and was told there was none.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

No there are reports that I have heard on my first day of enrolling my child, of a child who was into his second year of being bullied. My child on their first week of school was met with taunting at lunch, to where my child had rather had been written up for changing his lunch table than to be continually met with ridicule. My child also informed me on his second day that he felt sorry for one of his teachers because they were being bullied! This school also allows multiple fights to occur throughout the school day, and also children feel free to gather on school property to fight other children. This is a very unsafe school!

Supports LD students: Disagree

No my child came from another school's gifted and talented program and is ahead of the other students in his class, so unfortunately he is left to learn the same curriculum over and is not being challenged.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school has an bullying problem and it seems as if there are no real solution being met! Upon the day of enrolling my child I spoke with a parent who's seventh grader was being bullied since they were in the sixth grade, and also now it was two children who were bullying their child. This school has a hostile learning environment , where even your most intellectually inclined student will find themselves in trouble, because they must protect themselves.

Sugar Grove Academy creates a hostile learning environment for even the most studious of the students. I am told by my child that there are multiple fights in the hallways everyday. While I was signing my child up for school a parent was there to address bullying that her seventh grader had been dealing with since the sixth grade. I have experienced a huge lack of care, in that if I leave a message to have someone return my call it is never received. My child has informed of an incident that some students felt free to smoke weed in the bathrooms, though disiplined. On his first week of school, he came home and told he felt sorry for his teacher because a student was treating them badly. So to be informed know that Sugar Grove Academy is an hostile environment where your child might be met with hallway fights, bullying, drug exposure, lack of control for student, and lack of rigorous curiculum. Yes in 2016 there is a school like this!

I was a former teacher at this school in the past year. The reviews for this school before 2012 are from when the school was an elementary school. If I were a parent, I would never enroll any student in this school. There are not enough teachers, the administration is forced to focus on the STAAR test. The students do not have the skills needed for the curriculum to be successful but teachers were told that they could not teach basics that the students could not grasp and they had to attend after school tutoring, which few students were able to do. Substitute teachers would not come to the school after the third week of school and classes had to be combined with as many as fifty students in a class. There were not enough resources to successfully engage students and we were unable to achieve high levels of parent involvement. It was a hopeless environment where most students were not engaged, teachers left the school in tears or in anger on most days, and administration and district officials did not seem to want to address this larger challenges in the school which would have resulted in an improved academic environment for everyone.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The teachers honestly cared about the students, but there is such a focus on the STAAR scores and the required improvement status, the teachers could not adapt the curriculum so that students could develop fundamental skills needed to work the curriculum. The school population had a large number of immigrants from diverse prior learning experiences. The school district and administration needed to recognize this and develop a better structure to address these known gaps in student learning.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The teachers were told that homework must be assigned every night. I rarely had students that turned in homework. If they did, I was able to understand their misunderstandings. However, no more than 10 students out of 80 turned in homework. I honestly believe it was because the students could not read and comprehend the problems so they could not demonstrate that they could work the problem or what is was asking. Also, a majority of students did not have help outside of school and could not or would not attend tutoring.

this was the first year for my 6th grade daughter, and until 5/18/16 never thought that a teacher would discriminate against my daughter. I honestly think she did a really bad thing by not letting her perform when she the teacher herself asked her to... I will put a complaint against her TODAY!!

I went to the school for substituting but those kids are really bad. They don't behave well and very disrespectful. And they stole my cellphone before they left class. I was very shocked that they stole a teacher's cellphone. I saw some of them were handcuffed by a police officer. Don't ever go there and don't send your kids there either. It's very bad.

Last modified Sugar Grove Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.