Public charter
Houston, TX

Posted May 29, 2014
Great school! The teachers and staff are amazing. I wish I could give it 5 stars but the principal is horrible. She doesn't care for the students nor the teachers. If it wasn't for the enthusiasm of the clerks and teachers this school would have gone down.

Posted May 30, 2013
Eastwood has never been perfect, as no school ever is, but it is such a shame that the quality and standards of the school have diminished. There are still a number of great teachers, both old and new, but there are a number of teachers who don't even deserve the title. The current principal Ms. Fendley has been the WORST. She has failed to listen to parents, teachers, and students. When a parent brought an issue to her, she resorted to bullying their children, thus intimidating them. This year, funds were exhausted, being spent frivolously by the principal herself. It is a shame that so many students didn't even get into U of H this year. Overall SAT results were dreadful. So far, the majority of 9th and 10th graders failed STAAR. NO excuse from a charter/college prep. My sister's middle school prepared all their students well and results were phenomenal. The number of students keeps increasing. Are they trying to bring one of the better schools in the neighborhood down? Eastwood is no longer charter. It's like any other now. Ms. Fendley didn't present the portfolio to keep it as a charter because she was lazy and prefers to lower the standards required of charter schools.

Eastwood Academy 0

Posted April 27, 2010
this is my last year at eastwood academy and it has been the toughest. When i first heard about this school, I thought it was going to be just like my senior year is turning out to be, very difficult. Since i was expecting it to be very hard and once i got here found out it wasn't, the first few couple of years for me here were extremely easy. It wasnt until my junior year that my grades started slipping and i started getting more relaxed, in a bad way. Because of that and the whole college process that comes with being a senior, this year has bee most difficult. Trevino is the sort of principal that i expected to have in my freshmen year coming to this college prep school. I think with him being here, this school is going to get better and better each year.

Posted October 22, 2009
Okay, now that I have a senior and a junior at Eastwood, my overall experience has been above average. The complaints from my kids have mostly been about offering electives (like photography) with no teacher to teach the classes. The HCC instructors for dual credit courses have not showed up b/c of illness and subs from Eastwood are brought in that may not know how to instruct this particular class. And the biggest of all 'daily' complaint is that the breakfast & lunch is horrible!!! My biggest disappointment this year as a 'parent' is the agrresiveness that young adults/teens are making to date, have relationships and get involved with each other in ways that are reserved for adults. Our kids are taught that 'building' your character is not only a priveledge its an art! Don't dis-honor your character by making adult decisions. Make honorable decisions that can make a difference!!! ~mom

Posted October 13, 2009
I''m a freshmen at EA. So far, I think Eastwood is a good school. Sure, I wish there would be less students because the school is small but things are still fine. The teachers do their job. Meaning they actually teach unlike other schools that don't care. All you have to do is do what you have to do(HW,work,projects,ECT). If you do that your fine. I started slacking off but I've been getting better now with the help of my teachers. I thank Mr.Trevino for telling me that I was slacking off and making me do things better. I don't know but the help is there all you need to do is ask! The students are not like other students I've been with. I assisted Jackson Middle School and I was used to the fighting, skipping, unrespectful,bad, ECT, behavior. At Eastwood the worsest thing I've seen is cursing.Everything else is fine.

Posted January 20, 2009
I'm a senior at Eastwood Academy, and well graduating this coming may. With no money for prom because counselor's don't really do a good job. What can i say about this school?! It's not like everyone expects it to be. There's always gossip all around, maybe because is small and everybody knows everybody, but still thats not a good reason to not even trust your school counselor. I can say that I have not learned what i thought i was going to learn in this school, just because it was college prep, in my opinion a regular public school would be better than this one. This year the cafeteria is super packed! almost a 100 new freshman, and yes it is a really small school. Now even juniors have to share lockers! About AR and TAKS! is all true what they say in the other comments.

Eastwood Academy 0

Posted June 24, 2008
I am an Eastwood student and love the place. Sure, we have a few disgruntled students who don't want to work, refuse to read, and seem confused about what a college prep school IS. Most of the students are great. The teachers are terrific and offer so much help. The library is like a haven for learning.

Eastwood Academy 5

Posted April 01, 2008

Posted February 13, 2008
I m currently attending EastWood right now, and this is my last year. Can t quite say this is a great school for me, but for others I guess it is. The teachers sometimes walk around with their noses up in the sky. Students that do not read AR (Accelerated Reader) are put in the auditorium and are to read during lunch. Served nothing else but cold 'smuckers' food, in which I think, is inhuman. Again the students there are High School, which in my opinion and many others should be served warm/hot food instead. As I joined the school, year by year the school has turned into something else than it was. They care more about TAKS and TASK, nothing else. I guess the teachers and staffs have forgotten the importance of teaching the students the actual material rather than the TAKS. If I would have had a choice again to go to a public school instead of this one, I would change in a heartbeat.

Eastwood Academy 5

Posted January 24, 2007
- a former student
I graduated from Eastwood in 2005. The school is amazing! The teachers and Dr.Lopez really do show interest in every student. We always had so much going on, and we were always pushed to give our very best. With small classes, it was too easy to get along with our teachers and classmates. Everyone knew eachother, and always leant a helping hand. the teachers even devoted time on their weekends to help us with anything! Whether it be for TAKS, SAT or just class work, their help was always available! I was also qualified to take dual-crdit courses and get college hours. We had professors come to Eastwood and teach, everything on campus, & everything paid for, books and all! it was really a great high school experience I recommend Eastwood to anyone ready to work! and anyone who doesnt want to attend the local highschools in the surrounding area. -C.Perez

Eastwood Academy
1315 Dumble Street, Houston, TX  77023
Last modified Eastwood Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eastwood Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top