Mayde Creek High School

Public | 9-12 | 2706 students

Posted July 8, 2014

Ok so I am moving to Katy next month. I'm going into the 8th grade so I really don't care about middle school this year. But I really would like to know what this school is like. I've never been to Katy before and I'm really nervous. If a current student of mayde creek could tell me what the school is like that would be amazing! :) also if you went to cardiff jr high. I would love to hear about that school as well! :)

Posted October 19, 2013

As I have currently three children in this school at this time and have had four graduate from this schoool it saddens me to say the same problems still exist. Why in the world would a school want ANY child TO PURPOSELY FAIL is beside me. This is the ONLY way my child could get from the preap class that she doesn't understand (neither does my recently 4.3 college graduate understand either). Now if the child fails they are out of extra curricular activities that they have been working on all 6 weeks. So tell me what is a child to do???????? Mayde Creek needs to learn to bend and flow more with each circumstance and use some common sense in decision-making.

Posted September 18, 2013

Mayde Creek is a very good school. I measure the school's quality by the time the teachers have been at this school and the facilities. My son progress depends on how much effort he is willing to put in and his effort depends on his motivation. Mayde Creek provides an outstanding environment to excel, and excel my son does. I have read several reviews and frankly, it looks like people expect to send their kids to Mayde Creek and receive geniuses in return. Mayde Creek is not a factory, it's a school.

Posted August 15, 2013

All the schools in Katy ISD have the same problems. If you are in the AP classes you get too much homework, and the regular classes don't get enough homework. Most of the kids in the isd are not prepared for college, the system is more worried about ratings than educating the kids. I am around thousands of these kids everyday from every school in the district, and i am not impressed. No difference in the schools education, just in the neighborhood. I like Mayde Creek and Morton Ranch over all the other schools in the district.

Posted August 13, 2013

Decent. I mean I haven't been there in like 5 years. But I assume not much has changed. The original building is very much a relic from the 80s, apparent in the 20 year old lockers. The education is still pretty good quality, but it definitely lags behind the other schools in the district. The students, however, are not what I would call high achievers, as such anyone who puts in a decent effort will likely be in the top 10%.

Posted February 29, 2012

I graduated from MCHS in 2004, and am currently working on my Masters. I understand the school is much different now from when I attended, but there is much to be said about the quality of academics at MCHS. The math and arts (Graphic, Web, Photography, Intro, and Theatre) departments were my particular favorites, as I reaped so much from them. Many of my teachers had been on the MCHS staff for years, and their expertise and experience were evident in their students' educational outcomes. It wasn't the easiest of schools, nor was it horribly challenging. I value everything I gained from my time there.

Posted November 23, 2011

I am a current teacher at MCHS, and I love working at the Creek. No high school is perfect, but MCHS is far better than some of the campuses where I've worked previously. The students body is diverse, but these kids really are good kids. They are respectful and polite. The teachers and staff are good, for the most part. My chief complaint at the Creek would be regarding the disastrous scheduling issues that crop up year after year. There are teachers with over 35 students in a class one period and less than 20 the very next class period. This should not be an issue, but it seems to happen every year. It's not fair to the students or the teachers, and it's a problem that could be easily remedied if the right person was given the responsibility over it.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 4, 2010

Principal Leadership - Zero Stars I never see the principal outside her office. She yells and screams over the intercom. The students and teachers are afraid of her.

Posted March 13, 2010

I have two daughters at MCHS and so far have been very pleased. The curriculum is challenging without the intense pressures that nearby schools experience. The AP classes are difficult, but well worth the time. All high schools have their social issues, but I couldn't drag my girls out of this school if I tried... they love it.

Posted October 6, 2009

The Mayde Creek High staff provides not only a safe environment for my child but also and most important, The teachers all strive to help the student of Mayde Creek High to achieve greatness!! That makes Mayde Creek stand out as an excellent school!!! Submitted by a parent!!

Posted October 1, 2009

I believe this school is the best school because it is so diverse and different. It has great space and the classrooms are a perfect size.

Posted July 16, 2009

great school, great teachers

Posted June 2, 2009

When I recently moved, I purposely chose the Mayde Creek zone. I did not want a high school where materialism was rampant or football was a god. I wanted a good, overall balanced school where the college prep track was tough. I found all of this and more for my children. While it is true that you will find a few kids here who are 'rough around the edges', I prefer that segment to a high stress, 'clique' type atmosphere. You will not find a high school anywhere that does not have some unsavory kids. Sometimes they just dress better or drive better cars. The AP courses are phenomenal, and are good preparation for college. One of my children is now doing very well at a tough private college, and the other recently aced the SAT. They are extremely well prepared for college and for life.

Posted February 10, 2009

Everyone is very cooperative and open. The teachers do not hide anything important from the students.

Posted January 29, 2009

The complaints against the math department are grossly exaggerated. I recently graduated and went directly into advanced integral calculus at a major university and got an A. I truly believe that the educational experience at MCHS made me more prepared than most of my classmates at UT.

Posted November 11, 2008

I am a teacher at MCHS and have been for the last 13 years. There has been changes in the demographics of our students which has made our jobs more of a challenge. What is the result? Our teachers have risen to the occasion and incorporate new strategies that reach out to all levels of learners. We do a hard tap dance at the Creek to strive to raise our ratings. We have many transient students that come and go within a six weeks. This makes teaching more difficult. I'm proud to work there and know that I am in great company. Do you realize how difficult it is to motivate a student that has no support at home, no one to bribe them with cars, clothes, money, etc.? This is our challenge and we bust our tails to see those kids succeed.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 14, 2008

I had 4 students in that school. There are a few great teachers that actually care, but they are unfortunately overshadowed by so many bad teachers. Two of my daughters were on the drill team and if you weren't one of the 'Otwell favorites' , then your experience wasn't the best, to say the least. One aasdaughterTtttSoneoooneddaugfhter

Posted October 13, 2008

My son went to MCHS for 2 yrs, he is a well mannered average student who needed extra math help. The straw that broke the camel's back was when we asked for a parent teacher conference and all his teachers showed up except his math teacher. During the entire meeting the counselor was antsy and distracted as if she would rather be anywhere but there. Look up the TAKS scores for Katy ISD, MCHS consistently ranks the lowest in math. The counselor never had him write his 4 year plan until we went to the school and insisted. Sad to say he and his friends have now graduated and none (even the straight A students) were able to place straight into college algebra classes. The kids that got attention at MCHS were the disciplinary problems, of which there were many.

Posted January 15, 2008

All 4 of my children went to MCHS and it is a great school, one of the best in KATY ISD. Teachers are willing to help and principal is friendly.

Posted January 12, 2008

For four years I have been going to this school, and for four years I have been dissatisfied with it. I take all AP/GT classes and have since 9th grade, not because I am necessarily gifted in all areas of academia, but because the alternative is the regular classes.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

664 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

661 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

686 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

668 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

675 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

671 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

510 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

509 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

505 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

507 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students97%

White100%
Economically disadvantaged100%
Special education97%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

593 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

740 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

447 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

787 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

844 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

633 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

630 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

610 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

761 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

629 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options