Houston, TX

Posted June 20, 2014
The incompetence and ego of the current principal are astounding. The answer to every problem on the campus is more workload for the teachers. Not just a little bit of work, but to the degree that your family life, and in some cases, your health will suffer. The best you will get is lip-service during a "meeting", or perhaps a poorly written reminder of the Epps "affirmations", which frankly mean nothing. This year alone, she has managed to lose a record-breaking number of teachers. She'll likely blame her predecessor, but she had enough time to reassure the staff that positive changes were being made. She even managed to lose her only fair and competent Assistant Principal. She lost some of her best talent, which is extremely foolish considering there isn't a line of teachers begging to work at a Title I campus on the south end of Klein ISD. Central office is likely aware of her incompetence and hopefully will replace her soon. If you are considering a job here because you saw the plethora of openings available, that should speak for itself. If you are a parent with a student here... move.

Posted June 19, 2014
If I could give no stars, I would. I came from HISD expecting something different, but got a crazy surprise. This school is all messed up, but especially the administration people. I think if this school had better leaders, problems would be fixed. We got new principal in January, and she is way worse than the one before. I tried to discipline my students, but the lady from the state and admin said I was too strong with them. I left after one year and would not hope this mess on my worst enemy.

Posted June 18, 2014
Epps has gone downhill since the new principal took over. Parents are shunned, student discipline is left unattended and the staff morale is the lowest I've ever seen. Next year half the staff will be new because everyone wants off the "island". It is a sad sad place:(

Posted June 16, 2014
This school is an awful place to work. The principal is a tyrant and expects so much out you, that your stress level will be intolerable. Mandatory tutoring, mandatory meetings, mandatory trainings.. Notice a patten? "Mandatory" gets thrown around daily. The only praise you get is a "Thanks a bunch" in an email. Save yourself the grief and work at a different school. This year (2014) they will be replacing moe than 20 teachers who have had enough!

Posted June 03, 2014
It was no surprise when I looked at the recent reviews of Epps Island. I work in the maintenance department of Klein and I have never had a more difficult principal to work with. I can't go specifically into what I do at the school, at the risk of compromising my duties at the school, or that of others I work with. All I can really say is that this new principal is unrealistic in her wishes, and she has a horrible way of going about it. I talk to the teachers and they hate life under this new principal. All of the maintenance people I speak with, hate coming to this school. I can only imagine what it is like for the poor kids.

Posted May 31, 2014
I am very disappointed in the school during the Spring of 2014. My children are in 2nd and 3rd grade and I finding out that many of the good teachers are leaving. From what I have been told, at leasy half of the teachers are leaving. I do not want my children being taught by first year teachers or teachers that no one else wants. We are going to have to move. The new principal is not very good because she never wants to talk to parents. Many parents have complaints about the new principal as she is not good to parents, children and teachers. We are moving for another Klein school.

Posted May 21, 2014
Check the Houston Chronicle rating for this campus, a solid "F". Discipline is out of control. Kids can fight and be disrespectful with no consequence.

Posted May 11, 2014
DO NOT send your kids here. The new principal is rude. the kids rin around like crazy and the teachers be mean and yelling all the time. worst school ever. we gonna move out of willowood for a new school.

Posted September 27, 2013
Epps Island is a sad place. I have lived in this community for 28 years and I have never seen the school like this. My children attended this school, now my grandson attends this school and I visit him for lunch on Fridays. The staff walk around like they are defeated. I have heard from many that there is no discipline in the school. I have seen it too. What happened to Epps Island?

Epps Island Elementary School 5

Posted December 27, 2009

Epps Island Elementary School
7403 Smiling Wood Lane, Houston, TX  77086
Last modified Epps Island Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Epps Island Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top