Houston, TX

Posted April 02, 2014
Great school, great teachers, parent involved, excellent communication. They have parent classes every year.I really feel at home in Edgewood elementary.

Edgewood Elementary School 3

Posted October 08, 2013
Children were students at Edgewood for 5 years. Teachers are GREAT. Administration not so great. Not a lot of parent involvment, but mainly because of the old Principal that was there. She controlled everything, however she is now retired and I hope Edgewood will have a turn around with their PTA and parent involvment. Kids are very disadvanatge as far as demographics. Most parents do not even speak English. I think about 80% of the children at this school struggle. Curriculum is not kept up to par compared to most schools, but I believe that is because for the 5 in a class that "get it" the other 20 do not, sothe focus is on the ones struggling, which hurt the few that do "get it". I have NO complaints about the Teachers, they work hard and put up with way more than most do at other schools. If you live in the area and can afford private school, that is great and much better but if you can not,stay involved, and go to meetings. I am sure the school will sky rocket with a new Principal, long over due for a new chief!

Posted April 29, 2013
I am noticing that the last post on here was in 2011. I have been to this school now in 2013 and it has been remodeled and looks really great. The art class and their teachers did a great job with the deco on walls. I also have noticed in different activities I have attended the school holds for children, alot of parent involment. The principal also has a health program for kids. No Junk food in the school. As I noticed the kids here it's a very low overweight population. That's really great! I do not have a child here but when you observe from the outside than you can really give be good or bad opinion. And I give it a 100% overall rating.

Posted March 04, 2011
If you are talking about Palestine Westwood, why leave after 6 weeks? If it's a piece of cake, stay, eat, and enjoy. The facilities at Westwood are fair. I have toured Edgewood's entire campus, & they are "constantly" facelifting. This is not Highland Park. Money does not fall from trees. As far as the academic standards not being up to par, is this an opinion or a survey? They are taught to be grammatically correct when writing or be smart enough to use spell check.

Edgewood Elementary School 1

Posted October 08, 2009
This school forces your child to speak spanish one day a week.

Edgewood Elementary School 3

Posted July 18, 2005
I have kept my children at Edgewood (I could have transferred to any Spring Branch ISD school that had room) because of the excellent quality of some of the teachers. I am an involved parent who requests specific teachers for my children and lets those teachers know I am on their side. I am very careful not to overstep my bounds. I love volunteering at the school but never work in my kids' classrooms. On the whole Edgewood doesn't have much parent involvement, which is a shame as there are so many ways to help at the school. I know that Edgewood administration has the kids' best interests at heart.

Posted June 23, 2005

Posted December 05, 2004
I am very displeased with the school's appearance While the other schools seem to get 'facelifts' this school seems to get no remodeling done. It seems very run down.My son attended Westwood for the first six weeks and I must say I was very impressed it was advanced at least one grade level.when I saw Edgewood's K-5's homework I thought it was a joke until I realized it was for real.they don't seem academicaly up to standards.

Edgewood Elementary School 1

Posted September 08, 2004
Unfortunately, i have been very disappointed in this school. Neither of my children have made dramatic strides in their learning--and we've attended here for two years. A few teachers are really good, but most are at least somewhat new and relatively inexperienced. This hurts the kids, in my opinion. There are a lot of 'extra' teachers around, who don't have their own classrooms....They just seem to float aimlessly around the campus all day--i have never known what their actual job titles are. Seems like a bit of a waste of our precious tax dollars. The administrators seem too busy to actually acknowledge parents. And they treat the kids rather mean. The morale around the campus seems really low. Very few teachers seem excited to be there. The after school program is not good...All they did last year was play games. The administrators and teachers seem to worry an awful lot about that taks test. Overall, i'm displeased.

Posted March 27, 2004
School needs to make major improvements. Administrators are totally test-score driven--don't care about the well being of teachers or students.

Edgewood Elementary School
8757 Kempwood Drive, Houston, TX  77080
Last modified Edgewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edgewood Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top