Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

My daughter just graduated from Memorial High School and we all loved her education and experience there! We are a middle class family and our student in no way felt left out of anything. In fact we think it's a good influence That she was around a group of students that the norm is to further their education at college or trade school. The parents and students also have the spirit of giving back to the community in many ways. The principal, Lisa Weir, is incredibly intelligent and kind, plus she relates very well with students and parents. She was the principal at Memorial Middle School (one of the schools that feed into MHS ) for years. We have only great things to say about this school and the environment. Sure like any a school there are the students that are academic, athletic, performing arts, musicians, and there are partiers and those that are not partiers. Our daughter chose not to involve herself with parties and had many friends that did not as well. MHS has diversity and our daughter has friends from different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds. It's up to the student to involve himself or herself in the organizations and friends in which they choose. Again, we are extremely happy with the staff, students, academics, student programs, and opportunities at Memorial High School.

Memorial for the most part has fantastic teachers. I am going into my junior year and am thinking of moving schools for the following reasons. I came from a different district when I went to high school, everyone at Memorial is very cliquey it was hard to fit in. I come from a middle class family and I sometimes feel embarrassed and out of place with our financial situation compared to all the other kids who live in multi million dollar homes. I personally have no alcohol/drug problems but a lot of my friends do and are depressed 24/7. I feel I will be very prepared for college and that it what keeping me there and although it is so competitive I can have great grades and still be in the bottom 25 percent. I know academics are probably the most important, but I think I need a better social life for my sanity.

No diversity. The social aspect of this school is very limited - i.e. do not go here unless you fit the cookie cutter mold of wealthy and/or white. Many students are cliquey and parents seem to encourage this snobbish behavior. Of course, this can be found in every high school, but Memorial High seems to have an extraordinary amount. This characteristic of the school is known as the, "memorial bubble." Parents practically run this school due to the vast affluence found in the community. For example, the average home price in the area is around $1 million. Students and faculty are close-minded and do not appreciate any deviancy from the normal standards. There are also not enough sports teams to accommodate every student that wants to play. It seems they prioritize winning over giving every student a chance. However, the academics are excellent, and the teachers are very qualified. But again, the social atmosphere is atrocious.

We love MHS!!! Teachers go above and beyond for their students. School has strong PTA involvement.

Awesome School. Both students and faculty/ staff are good. I had no problems in MHS. Go Stangs!! -MHS graduate

What is up with the amount of former students who have recently passed away or committed suicide. Is it normal for me at 22, to not to be able to count on both hands the number of peers who have died? The Memorial Pressure Cooker is very real.

Demographics have a lot of explanatory power when it comes to what goes on at Memorial. Rich, primarily white neighborhood + some African-American and Hispanics + decent Asian population = the social stratification at Memorial. I took the most rigorous course-load available at Memorial and actually never knew about the drugs/partying/sex going on, although the bubble isn't as much an "AP bubble" as it is a "people who don't want to get involved in stuff bubble." Teachers and facilities are great (thanks to $$$). Admin likes to spend a good portion of it on football (white people). Academics are great (Asians + whites; not much URM representation in high-level classes; low-level classes = rich white kids + poor white kids + whitewashed Asians + URMs). Administration is kind of spotty and the counselors didn't turn out to be useful. Overall, Memorial's the perfect feeder for UT and A&M. In 2014, we sent 81 graduates to UT (around 1.1% of their incoming freshmen) and 59 to Texas A&M (0.6%). There is some decent HYPMS/Ivy+/top private representation in results and the UCs and other really good public schools are also in there. HOWEVER the opportunity structure is geared toward UT.

Honestly a terrible school to send you kid to academically good but I went to memorial high school and left junior year due to drug addiction and I am saying everyone I know that goes there or has went there has became addicted to drugs or ancohol and it might seem great while you are a mustang but everyone is about getting messed up and partying all the time like how I was before treatment for 6 months and the kids build problems that sink the In a even deeper hole they cannot get out of take it from someone who had the school spirit and went through all the stuff allot quicker than most kids but can still see 99% of all the students are going through the same addictive and destructive path that will just be worse in the long run

I just graduated from MHS (2013) and I am GLAD TO BE OUT OF THERE. Academically speaking, the school was great and I feel like it did a wonderful job in preparing me for college. Most of the faculty are great and past teachers have become friends. My GPA was an A average, but because it is so competitive, I was at the bottom of the 25% (competitiveness isn't a bad thing depending on the situation). However as a social environment, it was THE WORST. The lack of diversity made me feel very out of place and there were many thinly-veiled discriminatory remarks being made. Never before have I seen such a blatant sense of entitlement and lack of understanding/empathy for others who are not as well-off. Everyone just automatically assumes that the rest of the world is like them and therefor there's no excuse to complain about inequality. Being frank, if your child is a person of color, I would seriously rethink going to Memorial - there are other good high schools out there. I don't know if enduring 4 years of such a social environment (aka the 'Memorial Bubble' ) was worth it. PS The new principal seems to always be off campus. They should find someone else.

This school while being in metropolitan Houston, has NO person of color in faculty, support staff, nursing, administration, PTA, etc. The school likes to keep it that way and that attitude spills over into academics. If you are not white, your child will be systematically put at a disadvantage in every way possible. Stay as far away from this school as possible for the academic and emotional health of your child.

Last modified Memorial High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.