Posted May 17, 2014
Honestly a terrible school to send you kid to academically good but I went to memorial high school and left junior year due to drug addiction and I am saying everyone I know that goes there or has went there has became addicted to drugs or ancohol and it might seem great while you are a mustang but everyone is about getting messed up and partying all the time like how I was before treatment for 6 months and the kids build problems that sink the In a even deeper hole they cannot get out of take it from someone who had the school spirit and went through all the stuff allot quicker than most kids but can still see 99% of all the students are going through the same addictive and destructive path that will just be worse in the long run

Posted April 03, 2014
I just graduated from MHS (2013) and I am GLAD TO BE OUT OF THERE. Academically speaking, the school was great and I feel like it did a wonderful job in preparing me for college. Most of the faculty are great and past teachers have become friends. My GPA was an A average, but because it is so competitive, I was at the bottom of the 25% (competitiveness isn't a bad thing depending on the situation). However as a social environment, it was THE WORST. The lack of diversity made me feel very out of place and there were many thinly-veiled discriminatory remarks being made. Never before have I seen such a blatant sense of entitlement and lack of understanding/empathy for others who are not as well-off. Everyone just automatically assumes that the rest of the world is like them and therefor there's no excuse to complain about inequality. Being frank, if your child is a person of color, I would seriously rethink going to Memorial - there are other good high schools out there. I don't know if enduring 4 years of such a social environment (aka the 'Memorial Bubble' ) was worth it. PS The new principal seems to always be off campus. They should find someone else.

Posted October 25, 2013
This school while being in metropolitan Houston, has NO person of color in faculty, support staff, nursing, administration, PTA, etc. The school likes to keep it that way and that attitude spills over into academics. If you are not white, your child will be systematically put at a disadvantage in every way possible. Stay as far away from this school as possible for the academic and emotional health of your child.

Posted October 16, 2013
My high school was so wonderful because, I learning always new things and new work.

Posted October 05, 2013
Everyone at Memorial is so genuine and down to earth! -Said no one ever. If you want your child to go through an exorbitant amount of social and academic pressure, then by all means send them to memorial!! The majority of the honors classes teachers are phenomenal and truly want the best for the kids. The ADVANCED classes are intellectually stimulating, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the grade level ones. The stereotypes of this school are in place for a reason. The social hierarchy determines how you are treated by fellow students. Good luck getting an ounce of respect if you're not at the top. The administration caters to the wealthy students, there is no doubt about that. Just recently a cheating incident on a final involving 50+ students resulted in a total of 0 repercussions because said students parents' social standing and connections. As a senior, I am thankful for my years here because it has taught me a lot about myself, but I would not send my children here for the world. If you're kid isn't one of the "beautiful people" I suggest you reevaluate your high school options.

Posted July 06, 2013
MHS is a great school because the area has a high concentration of well educated people. Because of this neighborhood characteristic, MHS's students are generally stronger than most schools in Houston. MHS also has a few key teachers that make their pre-AP and AP classes stand out from the crowd. In 2013's US News and World Report, MHS has a national STEM ranking of #42. Having strong college level teachers is probably also due to the demand of the highly educated people in the neighborhood.

Posted April 14, 2013
While Memorial is easily the best school in the SBISD district, it is very isolated and easy to dislike if you're a dedicated person with values. The kids I go to school with party all the time and are very involved with drugs and alcohol and sex all while keeping up the straight-A sports fanatic facade at school. The kids as well as the teachers are elitist and the school feels very exclusive. Our sports are very well run and do well, but every other EC is lacking. Fine Arts feels completely over-looked. The teachers do provide rigorous classwork, but that's not every teacher. Many do not know what they're talking about. If you keep your eyes open it's very difficult to live in this bubble and be happy, even with the renowned Memorial title.

Posted March 09, 2013
No nonsense. Without doubt the best large public school in Houston. Prestigious, top notch universities are vigorously recruiting top graduates. Students that wish to learn face tough, rigorous competition in preparation for college life. Students that graduate in the top 10%of their class are virtually assured success in their quest of a highly rated university. For the students who value their social life above all, there are also many activities and programs to occupy their high school years.

Posted September 10, 2012
I am not impressed at all about the school. This is the 3rd week since school started, my son is still waiting for his text book (two more weeks to go). Total of 5 weeks before the kids can have their books. Most of the kids are registered for the course before the summer. I was told that the teacher was so lost, it took the kids 5 mins to explain and correct her mistake. Is she supposed to be the expert in the subjet?

Posted July 31, 2012
Good school just not the school for me. Teachers are superb and really prepare you for the SAT/ACT/AP tests. However, one thing that was difficult about this was how competitive the ranking system was. In order to be in the top 10% you must have all A's and if you make more than a few B's expect to be bumped out of the second quarter. It is much more rigorous than most other schools. Also the area is much too expensive to live in for a normal working class family. The students there are mainly of the upper income status and I was not. It felt very exclusive there and the students are not very welcoming. Even the teachers act elitist,for most of them are former mustangs, and everyone, student and staff, live in what some of us students call the "memorial bubble", because it's so isolated from the real world. All in all, I give it 2 stars.

Memorial High School
935 Echo Lane, Houston, TX  77024
Last modified Memorial High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Memorial High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top