Posted June 01, 2011
Both of my kids attended Thronwood, it is good to know that some of the same teachers are still there. It says alot about those teachers and the school. My kids are in their mid 20's and is doing very well for themselves. They got their early education there I love all the teachers. I truly miss those concerts and fund raisers. Teachers played a very important part in the kids formative years. So, I want to say kudos to Thornwood, You gave my kids a GREAT start.

Posted April 20, 2011
I can't say enough good things about Thornwood and its faculty. The curriculum the teachers offer has our children discussing these topics at the dinner table. Our children are encouraged to read everyday which I feel has led to their excellent grades. When it comes to safety, Thornwood has established a no bully policy and also screens individuals who come into the school as visitors. Staff cooperates with each other to ensure the safety of our children. They have also trained students to react to different emergency situations in any case if one should arise. Teachers have contstant communication with the parents on their students progress and have the option to either call or email the teacher when there are concerns. The technology that is used in the classrooms creates a fun learning atmospere which also prepares our children in this computer age. Family movie night encourages the community to have fun which proceeds are used to fund Thornwood school supplies. Lastly I was able to participate and chaperone my daughters field trip which was great fun and a wonderful learning experience. Keep up the great work Thornwood.

Posted April 19, 2011
The teachers and staff are very friendly, curtoeus and knowledgeable. My son is in the second grade and every teacher he has had has been able to communicate with me via email or a scheduled meeting. It has been helpful to communicate on a daily basis via email.

Posted April 19, 2011
My Kids transfer from an Alief school to SBISD, Thornwood Elementary School. My kids love the school and are very happy with their Teachers. Mrs. Aguilar is my daugter's second grade teacher and she is GREAT! Today we went on a fieldtrip and It was a lot of fun. Will definately recomend this school.

Posted April 11, 2011
i am a staff member at Thornwood Elementary. This is my first year working at this school and I love both the community and the staff. We have Family Library Night every monday for parents and students to come out and enjoy treading great books and the cool technology we have. We also have Family Movie night and everyone enjoys that as well. I have had nothing but great experience!

Posted April 07, 2011
I have had the opportunity to volunteer as a field trip chaperone many times with several grade levels as well as helping with classroom parties. I have always found the teachers to be helpful and friendly. I know they watch security closely to make sure all of the kids are well taken care of and protected. I know the teachers "go the extra mile" for the kids to have meaningful learning experiences that are fun even if they have to pay for many materials out of their own pockets. I would highly recommend this school for anyone who wants their child to be safe, secure and taught in a meaningful manner.

Posted April 07, 2011
The teachers at this school really care about their students and their learning. I volunteer at the school and have always found the school to be welcoming. The students are happy and always want to share what they are learning about and how much fun they have. The teachers and students have good relationships with each other. I think this school would be a great place for any kid to learn and grow.

Posted April 07, 2011
I am a teacher at Thornwood Elementary. I have worked there for many years. There have been opportunities over the years to change schools, but I have never wanted to leave. The staff and students are outstanding. There is a family type atmosphere at TWE. I feel the teachers and students have a great relationship with the teachers keeping the learning structured and meaningful. I know the faculty works very hard to help all students reach his/her maximum achievement level in a caring and supportive environment. Many parents have told me over the years how their students have changed and grown academically and socially while attending TWE...some have actually been brought to tears when discussing their children's success and how their kids feel like they "matter". I have also had several visits from previous students telling me how much their lives were positively impacted by the time they spent at TWE...one of my first year students is now in her 4th year of medical school on her way to becoming a pediatrician. Of course, I would recommend our school to any parent who wants their child to learn academics, responsibility and respect for all.

Thornwood Elementary School 1

Posted February 01, 2011
Horrible experience with this school! The teachers drive through the parking lot at high speeds!

Thornwood Elementary School 1

Posted April 27, 2010

Thornwood Elementary School
14400 Fern Drive, Houston, TX  77079
Last modified Thornwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thornwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top