Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My son has really enjoyed this school. His teachers have been great! Only wish they would send more information about whats going on in school.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Her science teacher keeps her interested and she really likes that class a lot. The other classes, she likes too but the reading class is slow because the other students don't read as well and she gets bored because she is ahead of them.

Amount of homework: Agree

No issues with this, although, her homework seems easy and she does not feel challenged. She breezes through it, which I guess is a good thing, because she is smart.

We recently moved in this area and my daughter is attending 2nd grade in this school. First of all thanks a lot to Jessica and school front desk for their flexibility to make the whole admission process as smooth as possible. The very first day of the school School Principal Mrs. Austin also personally introduced herself to us. The same day evening , we met with my daughter school teacher and she explained us everything very precisely. My daughter is bringing a lot of homework and her school teacher is highly involved with her. My daughter is also very happy with school music teacher, cafeteria and other students interaction. Overall we had a good head start and can not wait to accomplish this school year in Thornwood elementary.

Both of my kids attended Thronwood, it is good to know that some of the same teachers are still there. It says alot about those teachers and the school. My kids are in their mid 20's and is doing very well for themselves. They got their early education there I love all the teachers. I truly miss those concerts and fund raisers. Teachers played a very important part in the kids formative years. So, I want to say kudos to Thornwood, You gave my kids a GREAT start.

I can't say enough good things about Thornwood and its faculty. The curriculum the teachers offer has our children discussing these topics at the dinner table. Our children are encouraged to read everyday which I feel has led to their excellent grades. When it comes to safety, Thornwood has established a no bully policy and also screens individuals who come into the school as visitors. Staff cooperates with each other to ensure the safety of our children. They have also trained students to react to different emergency situations in any case if one should arise. Teachers have contstant communication with the parents on their students progress and have the option to either call or email the teacher when there are concerns. The technology that is used in the classrooms creates a fun learning atmospere which also prepares our children in this computer age. Family movie night encourages the community to have fun which proceeds are used to fund Thornwood school supplies. Lastly I was able to participate and chaperone my daughters field trip which was great fun and a wonderful learning experience. Keep up the great work Thornwood.

The teachers and staff are very friendly, curtoeus and knowledgeable. My son is in the second grade and every teacher he has had has been able to communicate with me via email or a scheduled meeting. It has been helpful to communicate on a daily basis via email.

My Kids transfer from an Alief school to SBISD, Thornwood Elementary School. My kids love the school and are very happy with their Teachers. Mrs. Aguilar is my daugter's second grade teacher and she is GREAT! Today we went on a fieldtrip and It was a lot of fun. Will definately recomend this school.

i am a staff member at Thornwood Elementary. This is my first year working at this school and I love both the community and the staff. We have Family Library Night every monday for parents and students to come out and enjoy treading great books and the cool technology we have. We also have Family Movie night and everyone enjoys that as well. I have had nothing but great experience!

I have had the opportunity to volunteer as a field trip chaperone many times with several grade levels as well as helping with classroom parties. I have always found the teachers to be helpful and friendly. I know they watch security closely to make sure all of the kids are well taken care of and protected. I know the teachers "go the extra mile" for the kids to have meaningful learning experiences that are fun even if they have to pay for many materials out of their own pockets. I would highly recommend this school for anyone who wants their child to be safe, secure and taught in a meaningful manner.

Last modified Thornwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.