Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted December 08, 2015
Her science teacher keeps her interested and she really likes that class a lot. The other classes, she likes too but the reading class is slow because the other students don't read as well and she gets bored because she is ahead of them.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 08, 2015
No issues with this, although, her homework seems easy and she does not feel challenged. She breezes through it, which I guess is a good thing, because she is smart.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted December 08, 2015
Maybe developing a determination as far as to trying to ignore mean bullies and feeling terrible about yourself all while maintaining good grades.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted December 08, 2015
This school has absolutely not developed any respect amongst the students from what we have experienced.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted December 08, 2015
EMPATHY? Compassion? caring?? absolutely not in this case with my child. I've already explained it so here it is again. My daughter feels so bad about going to school everyday and she is a mostly all A student. No one cares about her, she has not one friend, the counselor does not make anyone apologize for how they treat her and she is way out numbered by these mean girls who just beat down her self esteem. So, no. This has gone on since September and now it is December and its only gotten worse. If anyone really cared, they would have put a stop to it in the beginning of the school year when I first brought it to their attention the second week of school.

Posted January 15, 2015
We recently moved in this area and my daughter is attending 2nd grade in this school. First of all thanks a lot to Jessica and school front desk for their flexibility to make the whole admission process as smooth as possible. The very first day of the school School Principal Mrs. Austin also personally introduced herself to us. The same day evening , we met with my daughter school teacher and she explained us everything very precisely. My daughter is bringing a lot of homework and her school teacher is highly involved with her. My daughter is also very happy with school music teacher, cafeteria and other students interaction. Overall we had a good head start and can not wait to accomplish this school year in Thornwood elementary.

Posted June 01, 2011
Both of my kids attended Thronwood, it is good to know that some of the same teachers are still there. It says alot about those teachers and the school. My kids are in their mid 20's and is doing very well for themselves. They got their early education there I love all the teachers. I truly miss those concerts and fund raisers. Teachers played a very important part in the kids formative years. So, I want to say kudos to Thornwood, You gave my kids a GREAT start.

Posted April 20, 2011
I can't say enough good things about Thornwood and its faculty. The curriculum the teachers offer has our children discussing these topics at the dinner table. Our children are encouraged to read everyday which I feel has led to their excellent grades. When it comes to safety, Thornwood has established a no bully policy and also screens individuals who come into the school as visitors. Staff cooperates with each other to ensure the safety of our children. They have also trained students to react to different emergency situations in any case if one should arise. Teachers have contstant communication with the parents on their students progress and have the option to either call or email the teacher when there are concerns. The technology that is used in the classrooms creates a fun learning atmospere which also prepares our children in this computer age. Family movie night encourages the community to have fun which proceeds are used to fund Thornwood school supplies. Lastly I was able to participate and chaperone my daughters field trip which was great fun and a wonderful learning experience. Keep up the great work Thornwood.

Posted April 19, 2011
The teachers and staff are very friendly, curtoeus and knowledgeable. My son is in the second grade and every teacher he has had has been able to communicate with me via email or a scheduled meeting. It has been helpful to communicate on a daily basis via email.

Posted April 19, 2011
My Kids transfer from an Alief school to SBISD, Thornwood Elementary School. My kids love the school and are very happy with their Teachers. Mrs. Aguilar is my daugter's second grade teacher and she is GREAT! Today we went on a fieldtrip and It was a lot of fun. Will definately recomend this school.

14400 Fern Drive, Houston, TX  77079
Last modified Thornwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thornwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top