No rating

St Francis De Sales School

Private | PK-8 | 450 students

We are best known for academic excellence.

Living in Houston

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $93,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

Posted July 30, 2014

This school is a sophisticated day care. Not nurturing at all. Half of the my child's illnesses were stressed induced from the Rude teachers and faculty. Most of all from the extremely rude children that attend there. This so called school says things to the children that are not supposed to be said and told what happens at school stays at school. Oh sure, just to keep their funds coming in, That is UNETHICAL !!

Posted April 22, 2014

As an educator of 13 years with a background in both public and private schools, as well as a parent of 2 children, I feel confident in my evaluation of St. Francis de Sales. St. Francis de Sales provides a nurturing, high academic education in a diverse setting. Several of the teachers here are either former students, or have children or grandchildren attending. I am the School Counselor, and I am thankful every day for the opportunity to work with such a committed staff, and incredible students!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 18, 2014

SFdS is a great school, actually, it's a great village to raise a child. We highly recommended it.

Posted January 31, 2014

I attended this school for 8 years, kindergarten to 8th grade. nothing but bad memories and bad treatment from students and teachers alike I certainly do not recommend this community for a child, especially a black child, unless they have a very strong and encouraging source of support outside of the school.

Posted August 28, 2013

Faculty and Staff are excellent. They are caring and considerate. The curriculum is challenging but not overwhelming. Parent communication is very good.

Posted May 23, 2013

This school is very educational. GREAT academics. We won 1st in the St. Pius academic rally which is amazing.also , Everything is so diverse. Many many different races are in this school, so if you are worried that your child will be the "only one" then you're wrong. This school is extremely diverse, you won't believe your eyes till you see it. The only problem I have with it's school is it's athletics and "cheapness". The school was never cheap until now! It started somewhere around "10 when many things changed. Lots of changes in the staff. Some of which I think should be fired! Most of the activities at the school WERE very exciting but now its like the same old joke. Knocking down the church as well was unnecessary, renovations in the inside makes more sense.it take 1 yr to knock down a church and add statues, and it takes 1 year to renovate the bathrooms(still not done), example of cheapness. Also athletics NEEDS improvement. It's a shame knowing the students win 4 games per season. I remember when they used to win almost every single game, that's also the time when the school wasn't cheap. So if you want a good school do it's ACADEMICS. Then this is the place for you.

Posted February 3, 2013

We were living in Central America for a while and when transfered to Houston we focused on looking for a Community-Oriented, Down-to-Earth & Highly-Involved-Teachers environment for our children, and we found it almost by coincidence. I truly encourage you to talk to Mrs. Wooten (Principal) or Mrs. Overbeck (Admissions) and they'll make sure to answer your initial questions. After that, go visit the school and talk to your potential teachers - that will seal your deal. My kids (3 & 6) are in the best hands. Mrs.Gabler from Kindergarden is a truly magnificent Human Being - you'll love her.

Posted January 15, 2012

My child transferred to this school from St. Thomas More. The teachers at St. Francis are the best and your child will become part of a family attending here. I believe it to be one of the best grade schools in Houston.

Posted January 27, 2011

Great school in Southwest Houston. My Kids (one in 2nd grade and one in Kinder.) love it and me too!

Posted July 23, 2010

My child has attended this school since Kinder, now going into 5th grade, with a sibling entering Pre-K. This school offers excellent academics, teaches values / morals to the children. Staff and Administration are excellent. They have a fabulous after school program that is very affordable. This school will prepare your child for the future and allow them to reach their God-given abilities.

Posted January 8, 2010

My daughter attended k-4 and it was not a good experience. My daughter was very unhappy and cried on several occasions. She now attends St. Thomas More and loves it!

Posted October 14, 2009

This is my 9th year at SFdS. It's the year I'm graduating too. I really like this school. I love the most of teachers that I've had. I think that this school has a lot of really great teachers. The lunch is good, the classes are fun, and its a small school, so everybody knows everbody. I'm sad that this is my last year, but I really love all the memories I have made at this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 1, 2009

I attenede there and now my 4 year old is enrolled in the Pre-K4 program and loves it. Teachers are very involved. About 75% of the teachers that were there when I went to school there are still there teaching.

Posted August 17, 2009

St. Francis de Sales Catholic School is a wonderful place for a child to learn! The faculty and staff are skilled and experienced. The academic program is challenging and provides a comprehensive foundation that allows students to gain entry into Houston's best high schools! My son who graduated from SFDS attends Strake Jesuit College Prep. I have 5 more children, currently enrolled at SFDS for the '09-'10 school year. The school's location is very conveneint (2 min. from 59/SW Frwy and 3 blocks from Strake Jesuit and St. Agnes High Schools). St. Francis de Sales Catholic school promotes parent involvement and an atmosphere of community. SFDS teachers truly educate the whole child: mind, heart and spirit. The pre-school program is a home away from home for little ones, with learning weaved throughout the day. Extended care is also available until 6:30! One visit to this school will win you over!

Posted June 9, 2008

My daughter attends this school and teachers. Everyone works together and the tuition is not high at all for the quality of teaching that is given. OUTSTANDING!

Posted April 9, 2008

This school is great, I have a 10 yr old that is in the 4th grade, 7ry old that is in the 1st grade. They both started since Kindergarten. School has excellent academics and is probably the most affordable private school in all of southwest Houston. If your wanting your wanting your kids to have a solid for the future then the is the only place to go in SouthWest Houston. My Wife attended this school when she was young and it shows what kind of academics they teach.

Posted February 5, 2008

my daughter still attends SFDS,she's in7th grade.and I want her to graduate in this school.Quality of education is high and excellent.

Posted March 16, 2006

Great school for student attention. Only 2 classes per grade. Wonderful after school program for working parents.

Posted February 1, 2006

This is a good school for the tuition.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted August 20, 2005

Our kids attended this school and we had very good experiences. Although there were quite a few kids in each class (where aren't they?), we found the quality of education very high and the teachers loving.

Asian or Pacific Islander 43% 4%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Diane Wooten
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • TCC
Fax number
  • (713) 271-6744

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston