Strake Jesuit College Prep School 4

Posted April 27, 2014
I'd was going to give 5 stars, which would be appropriate relative to my experience as a student in the mid '70s. But reading the recent comments by a teacher gives me pause. Anyone who misses Richard Nevle is someone whose opinion counts in my book. I have always felt that Strake Jesuit was by far the biggest factor in my success. I learned more there than I did in college. They taught me how to think logically and critically. They made me an excellent writer. They instilled in me the dual imperatives of personal excellence and charity. I never willingly missed a day of school. I had many fine teachers, including Richard Nevle.

Posted April 09, 2014
AOS-I have an 8th grader. I am sorry to have to leave this school for high school. The administration is amazing! The teachers (for the most part) are fabulous, and my son is very prepared for HS. AOS graduates are coveted by high schools due to the academics at AOS, and because the school is just such a good environment. The only complaint I have is that they don't suspend or expel students who have more serious issues than this school is equipped to deal with. This is regarding only a couple of kids...but.. Nevertheless, I give it 5 stars. My son loves it.

Posted January 31, 2014
I am the parent of a Freshman at Strake. My son would honestly tell you that he loves this school. The environment, quality of the teachers and academic program are all conducive to an excellent learning experience. There are broad opportunities in athletics, arts, sciences, academics as well as socially responsible activities. My son chose to take Mandarin to fulfill his 3 year language requirement and has truly enjoyed the instruction and practice. He participated in Wrestling and hopes to join Debate. The school's motto is 'Men for Others'. I believe the strong leadership and supportive parental involvement at this school creates an environment which molds these young men into the leaders of tomorrow.

Strake Jesuit College Prep School 1

Posted June 12, 2013
The school is starting to rot from the inside now that Ken Lojo is principal. They have removed and lost their best teachers including Larry Finke (teacher of the year a few years ago), Dr. Speiring (who isn't qualified to teach... according to Lojo), and several others who are leaving before it gets worse. The new administration gives no support to the teachers and they removed excellent and well experienced teachers with a proven track record and replaced them with people who have no teaching experience. This school is now about appearance and no longer cares about the quality. They run the school like a business, only caring about money and not the service provided. I would no longer send my children to this school. If you plan on sending your children here, some things to expect. 1) Little communication from administration 2) Less involvement from teachers. (They will start doing the minimum required instead of going beyond) 3) Higher teacher turn over 4) Less strict academics so everyone can more easily make am A instead of actual learning 5) More money making schemes by the school 6)And the school using the money for appearance instead of function I miss you Richard Nevle

Posted April 10, 2013
My son is a freshman, and we are so impressed. He is a smart kid who has not had to do much work before. He is having to work pretty hard, but still loves the school. He is going in for extra help for Spanish during his lunch break almost every day and the Spanish teacher is so willing to help.....truly amazing! I taught at a really good public high school and am amazed at the way this place is run. It is so organized and welcoming. ANY type child could succeed and benefit from this school. Watching the neighborhood boys at the public school, I am so grateful that we can provided this amazing opportunity for our boys. I truly think it is helping me develop my son into a thoughtful, hard working, responsible person. I cannot say enough positive. The other day while we were talking about the freshman drug usage in the nearby public school he said, "even the boys at Strake who tried some things before they came realize that we all have great futures and none of us want to want to mess that up." Priceless.

Posted September 02, 2012
I find it hard to believe how hard the kids work and they still love it. There are many outstanding activities for the students. They all recieve good counseling on courses and college . The core requirements are tough but will get them into any college.

Strake Jesuit College Prep School 2

Posted May 25, 2012
We were unimpressed with the teaching staff at the school while my son attended. UIL rules state that coaches must be full time employees, so several of my son's core teachers were actually hired to coach at Strake; teaching was not their priority. Some proved to be arrogant and unwilling to help when my son struggled with material. The school has a reputation for rigorous academics, but grades can be replaced through attending summer school. So, we paid full tuition, then paid for two additional classes each summer so our son's GPA could be improved. Teachers suggested we plan on that - to have him neglect one or two classes, and they could be made up during an abbreviated summer semester. While kids in other public or private schools would be carrying a full load of coursework, a Strake student could pay a "little" ($800) more to carry less of a load during the year. I have never met a student there that did not feel overwhelmed by the coursework or the rigid, punitive rules. Some of my son's teachers, however, were very passionate about teaching. If you enroll your son, learn about who will be teaching him, and stay on top of what they are doing in the classroom.

Posted November 17, 2011
Strake is an outstanding school not just from the academic aspect. They do prepare the young men to be "Men for Others" as stated in the mission statement. The Mothers' Club is very organized. The debate team is outstanding. It well prepares my son for colleges.

Posted March 01, 2010

Posted May 02, 2009
As a graduate I am fully beginning to realize just what this school has done for me. The teachers and staff make themselves available inside and outside of an academic setting and their concern for the best of the students is very clear. As a current university student I can tell you that what Jesuit has done for me is utterly invaluable; the overwhelming majority of the work I have done in my first two years of university have mainly been review from what I did at my last two years at Strake. The facilities are top notch and continue to improve as Fr. Lahart, Scalzitti and countless others completely dedicate themselves to ensure that Strake Jesuit is a shining star in Houston. The legacy there is impressive, and I will do everything possible to make sure my sons will attend Jesuit.

Strake Jesuit College Prep School
8900 Bellaire Boulevard, Houston, TX  77036
Last modified Strake Jesuit College Prep School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Strake Jesuit College Prep School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top