St. Rose of Lima Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 178 students

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $248,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $810.

Sweep tile

Posted April 1, 2014

The excitement at St. Rose of Lima continues building! ....that is to say literally and figuratively. We are happy to send our daughter to middle school and feel blessed to continue her education in this Garden Oaks/Oak Forest community that we have grown to love for eight years now! The teachers/staff members are caring and nurturing. We feel blessed to be a part of the St. Rose family and I highly recommend this school.

Posted March 11, 2014

Such a welcoming, highly academic, and well rounded school enviroment at St. Rose of Lima. My daughters received a strong, rigorous academic foundation that made their transition into high school run smoothly. They also received a spiritual nurturing that is priceless and that we will forever be in debt to them for. The small town -feel carnivals and supportive PTO are magnificent. The faculty and staff at St. Rose of Lima are true blessings for our Houston community.

Posted March 7, 2014

St. Rose is the up and coming Middle School of the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest/Heights neighborhoods of Houston. We welcome your family to tour and find out about our Advanced Curriculum to challenge your child while celebrating our faith in Christ in everything we do. As Principal, I am the proud leader of the amazing staff and families here in the community. Join us to find out how "Great Things are Happening at St. Rose!"
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 13, 2013

We love St. Rose Catholic School. It provides strong academics combined with serious moral development. The parents are involved and the staff is exceptional. Well worth the price.

Posted April 27, 2012

I have seen amazing growth in my daughter's reading and writing abilities this year in PreK. She is happy and loves both her teachers and her classmates. I am also very impressed by the principal. Not only does she strive for academic excellence, she also brings fun to the school day and provides many opportunities for students to speak and perform in front of the school during morning assembly.

Posted September 16, 2011

This school was really coming along from where it was, but now I am not so sure. They have a 6/7 th grade teacher who is not very child familiar. I hear from those parents he is very unrealistic. The Principal is nice enough, but it is very hard to make her listen to your needs. Waiting to see how this year goes before we comitt to anymore.

Posted April 24, 2010

This is a great school that pays special attention to the whole child, mentally, spiritually and physically. There are some very caring teachers here.

Posted February 1, 2010

My daughter started Pre-Kindergarten this year at St. Rose and she really has learned a lot. I love that they expose the students to Spanish, computer, art and music from the very youngest ages. The pastor and principal are amazing. The feeling at the school is enthusiastic and nurturing. This is a wonderful environment and the whole community looks out for my child. What a blessing!

Posted November 24, 2009

My son has been attending St. Rose since last year and we love it. My husband and I are planning to stay in the area to be able to send our younger son there as well next year. The teachers and principal are all wonderful! What a great experience it has been.

Posted May 19, 2009

My daughter attended K - 5th grade at St. Rose a couple of years ago, and the experience was a very good one. We were looking for a small, structured, and Catholic setting for our shy girl. We got that and more. It ended up being a wonderful and nurturing environment, too. She could not read in Kinder since we decided she should learn with her fellow students. She ended up becoming the best reader in class in a couple of years, and it was all because of the wonderful environment of St. Rose of LIma. Her shyness was overcome by all the exposure in oral book reports, science fair presentations, class run Masses, and the fact that the classes were small. Her confidence level shot up. My daughter has become an excellent student because of wonderful teachers at St. Rose. I highly recommend St. Rose to anyone out there.

Posted May 5, 2009

Fr. Clint and new principal Mrs. Stephen are the A-Team! The economy is down but the excitement is building at St. Rose! Academically, as a second grade parent, the school excels. The Music and Art departments are great. I like that our children are not just looked at as a number but rather individuals & all the staff knows their names.

Posted March 30, 2009

St. Rose provides exceptional one on one assistance and guidance since teacher / student ratio is low. Strong emphasis on academics, character building, and MASS attentance. I would recommend St. Rose Elementary school wholeheartedly to any parent.

Posted March 24, 2009

Admittedly, I'm biased. I'm the pastor! But I have been around a number of schools both public and private. I think was sets St. Rose apart is that there is a strong and clear vision that guides the school and that vision is Catholic Christian, Caring and committed to strong academics.

Posted March 23, 2009

Oh how we love the nurturing environment St. Rose of Lima provides!! We enrolled our child in Pre-K here and we have been very impressed. We love how everyone knows everybody as well as the individual attention our child receives. She is made to feel special, what more can you ask for?! Well, if you're looking for exceptional Art, Spanish, Music, and PE programs, you'll get that as well plus a principal that genuinely cares about the children and the future of the school.

Posted March 23, 2009

I was looking for a small school that would promote a relationship with God for my boys. I have gotten so much more. The administration and teachers are so caring and wonderful. I feel we are part of a big family. St. Rose has been a blessing to us! 'Dynamite comes in small packages!'

Posted March 11, 2008

My child started Pre-K for hte 2007-2008 school year. Wow! What a fantastic atmosphere! It is now March 2008, and those 4 and 5 year olds are reading! They have separate classes and teachers for Art, PE, Music and Spanish. They are integrated within the school, and are treated just like the 'big kids'. HIGHLY recommend anyone considering private and / or Catholic education check this school out! Houston's best kept secret!

Posted March 3, 2008

I have been a parent of a St. Rose student(s) for five years now. The teachers are wonderful! they push my children to do their very best. If they find an exercise too easy for them, the teachers push them a little bit harder with extra exercises. The strong Christian base is evident throughout the entire school I want my children to learn about jesus in school. I want my children to know it's okay to pray in school. I want my children to be well educated. I want them to be bright and read above their current grade level. I want them to enjoy music and art. St. Rose of Lima provides all of this for my children and more!!

Posted March 2, 2008

I am a graduate of St. Rose of Lima school as are my parents before me. My child attends St. Rose and I am proud of the education and the love she receives at her school daily. Fr. Clint has shown how responsive he is to the needs of the children and their parents just since he became pastor in August. I look forward to the continuing growth of the school and the future plans for the school.

Posted January 31, 2008

St. Rose is a small school and by the end of the first week, all teachers and staff will know your child's name. They really do care about your child. The school is solid academically. This will be my child's 4th year attending the school and he absolutely does not want to leave. If gives children who need a small environment the opportunity to grow. The art, music, spanish & PE programs are second to none. All children read music by the 2nd grade. Father Clint's mission is to create a stronger elementary school that meets the need of the entire community. We will be there for the duration.

Posted January 21, 2008

My son attended St. Rose for part of a year. We removed him, because the academics were deplorable. By February, they were barely 1/4 into their text books. The principal was unresponsive/defensive despite the concrete evidence of their shortcomings. She failed to keep her word about many promises made when we initially toured the school, such as limiting class size, discipline, and extracurricular activities. The parents were clic-ish, and only a small number of the parents seemed to be involved. The extracurricular activities are very limited. The after school program is weak and unimaginative. There are several good teachers in the lower grades, but in general they seem to be unable to afford experienced, well trained staff. Also, we found the children to be rude and unkind; no application of the values they should be teaching.

Two or more races 10% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • School Spirit Award, Steps for Students (2012)
  • School Spirit Award, Steps for Students (2010)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 7:45 am gatheri
School end time
  • 3:15
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Cathy Stephen, M.Ed.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • TCC
Fax number
  • (713) 692-5638

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston

• Painting
Music
  • Band

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

• Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
St. Rose of Lima Early Childhood Center
Johnson Memorial Day School
Gethsemane Lutheran Mother's Day Out

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2012-2013 school year
$5000 - $6000
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
St. Pius X High School