St. Theresa Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Houston

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $288,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Sweep tile

Posted April 8, 2014

I am a long time parent with the St. Theresa Community (20+ years) and the school only tends to get better. It's on the edge of Memorial Park, cozy within a neighborhood and affordable. The school over the years has gone through it's growing pains and now the school is flourishing into a school of excellent. Everyone knows everyone, the kids are happy to be there and it's an amazing experience for the children who start as early as PreK3. My childrern are either alumni of St. Theresa or soon to be. The teachers are amazing, dedicated individuals who love teaching our children, who love to teach and who will provide the skill sets for high school, college and life. My older children continue to communicate with their grade school teachers from St. Theresa for college advice, assistance with assignments and support. At St. Theresa we are a community of faith, friendship and community service. St. Theresa is my home and the home for my children.

Posted April 7, 2014

Good, little-known private Catholic school in the heart of Memorial Park. Dedicated teachers and parents, enthusiastic students and increasing number of extra-curricular activities. Overall good value.

Posted April 4, 2014

I have 4 kids at St Theresa. I have moved to Houston from abroad & have been here just over a year. Love this school. Our transition into a new country & a new school system was smooth & that speaks volumes for the community support from the families & faculty. My kids are performing really well in school. We enrolled mid year & thought the kids grades would drop due to the transition but was so happy that they were thriving at their new school. The kids at St Theresa are so friendly & welcomed my family. The school has a superb learning support teacher at St Theresa. She does so much more than is required for her students. All the teachers are fantastic. The faith formation is a big plus. As we continue to move around the world it is the faith that ground my family. The school say prayers first thing in the morning & all do the pledge of allegiance to the USA & the Texas flag everyday. The whole school attend weekly Mass & have regular visits from various RE organizations. It is a smaller school feel however St Theresa is growing & will continue to grow like their sports program. I highly recommend St Theresa. It is a hidden gem in a beautiful location right next to Memorial Park.

Posted July 24, 2013

I'm a former student I just graduated and I have to say this, the principle is a bully and is rude to everyone she also has no idea how to teach do your kid a favor and don't make them go there it doesn't help if your kid has a different way of learning so if they are able to keep their mouths closed so the teachers can look at emails and watch videos about random things that don't teach anything (they actually do this) then it's fine send them there but if your kid is not a socially awkward kid that doesn't do what ever his told then don't.

Posted April 2, 2013

We were so excited when our kids got accepted to St. Theresa's. Our excitement turned to dismay when we received our teacher assignments. Both teachers were well into their 50s-60s and we learned quickly that the method of teaching in both classrooms was very outdated. One of our kids rated as gifted and this school could not accommodate the more rigorous needs. If your child is middle of the road and fits neatly into a box, then this school might work for you. If your child is special in any way and you want a school that recognizes and encourages that exceptionalism or uniqueness, versus trying to mold them into the status quo, this is not the environment for you.

Posted April 10, 2012

We absolutely love this school. The teachers are dedicated, and the current principal is a wonderful leader. She's supportive of both her parents/students and her staff. I pray she stays! We couldn't have asked for a better school for our daughter. We plan to send her and the rest of our children to St. Theresa's through the 8th grade.

Posted March 10, 2011

Our 1st grade daughter attended St. Theresa's this year; unfortunately, we had to move back to San Antonio and were unable to complete the school year. Our experience at St. Theresa's was all positive. The principal is bright, energetic, and cares deeply about each student there. The teachers are happy and enthusiastic about teaching; their positive attitudes are evident because the children are so happy. I am a speech-language pathologist and provided free speech screenings for the 3-5 year olds and also worked with some of the elementary teachers to help with modifications to assist a few students. I was most impressed with the teachers with whom I worked; they were already implementing great strategies to help all of the children and were so open to trying anything new to help the students learn successfully. Overall, school is fun, the atsmosphere is positive, and I just wish we could replicate this school in San Antonio. My daughter was accepted to other "prestigious" private schools and I initially worried about my decision to send her to St. Theresa's. I am SO glad I did...it is truly an amazing place to be!

Posted March 29, 2010

This school could be so great. but its not. They have had three principals in 3 yrs. The one there now is very trutthful about anything. Good teachers who stick with it!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 21, 2010

This school has had several principals in the past two years. the principal there now is questionable. The sports are outstandin even for a small school. The best soccer and basketball team in the diocese, even for a smalls school, 150 students.

Posted May 19, 2009

St. Theresa has proved to be an excellent school. Originally, we were going to place our daughter in a top notch public school, but due to overcrowding, the school she was intended to go to had no room. The school the district wanted to send her to was way below our expectations. After careful research, we selected St. Theresa's. The teachers and staff provide excellent care, time, dedication, and academic needs. My daughter was even accepted into the Vanguard program at Briargrove and TH Rogers, but we decided keeping her here would serve to her academic and social benefit.

Posted January 21, 2008

This is a school on the edge of greatness. My child has attended 3 years, and it gets better and better! He is learning things in 6th grade that children we know at other schools do not learn until 8th grade. The teachers are very dedicated. The campus is lovely, and feels very secure. The cafeteria is excellent - my son wants to buy every day! Discipline is good. Parents are very nice, supportive, and welcoming. I have been pleased when I have had to use after school care. The athletics can be a little weak, not because of coaching, but because the school is quite small to be able to compete on the same level as, say, St. Cecelia. Students at the Catholic high schools have told me that kids who went to St Theresa were 'really ready for high school'. 'the leaders', and 'advanced in language arts and Spanish'.

Posted October 13, 2004

The school is well-run and a definite first-rate alternative for someone who wants to get their child out of the public school 'rat-race' of testing! I should know...I teach in the HISD system. It is also a 1st rate Catholic education. My child was in the GT system at an Exemplary school in HISD and St. Theresa's is able to meet her academic needs without the heavy loads of rote HW that she suffered in her HISD school.

Asian 5% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (713) 869-3784

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6622 Haskell St