St. Thomas High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Houston

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $288,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Sweep tile

Posted April 10, 2014

I am a former student who attended St. Thomas High School from the 9th to 10th grade before transferring to a large public school. I strongly urge against sending your kids here. The teachers were great but most students that St. Thomas accepts are extremely toxic (rancorous but not competitive). Nearly everyone who attends this school is either a bully or jerk. This school does not check the backgrounds of their applicants indicated by the large number of freshmen in my class who had been suspended numerous times and/or expelled from middle school. As a result, many good kids who came to this school with high hopes eventually transferred. In addition, the faculty does not discipline their students. In some ways, the faculty encouraged their students to bully each other and wreck their classes. Because every class was like a human zoo, the academics were hardly top-notch even though the teachers were great. One of my teachers admitted in class that Strake Jesuit (the rival school) was a better school. Lastly and unimportantly, girls rarely come to STHS during our breaks.

Posted January 11, 2014

St. Thomas High School is a great school. I have grown deeply in my intellect and faith since coming here and the school has been a great resource in my quest for knowledge. The teachers are all knowledgeable and supportive of us students and there are many different ways to accel both academically and athletically. The community is also very accepting here and anyone can make friends very easily. My friends I meet here are probably going to be friends for life. I would highly recommend St. Thomas for any students who want a challenging academic environment and a common brotherhood among students. It is definitely on of the best private schools and the best all- boys school in Houston.

Posted June 12, 2013

I do believe St. Thomas high School adequately prepares students for college success, however, it does not in any way develop an adolescent's EQ (emotional quotient). The faculty and staff at this institution do not set good standards of how a mature student should act, and there are countless occasions I can recall where my son (class of 2012) was encouraged to bully through the actions of his teachers. The staff does not care about the individual student, and the administration has been known to treat wealthier students differently. Often times many of the classmates your son will have when he goes here will be second generation. If you are a parent looking to send your kid to a place that will instill catholic values, do not go here, your son will learn to hate this place.

Posted May 25, 2012

Our son is finishing his freshman year as STHS, and we could not be more pleased with his experience so far. His critical thinking skills have been stretched and developed, he has been challenged without being overwhelmed, and he has been made to feel that he is truly a member of a school family. HIs teachers are very approachable, and want the kids to succeed. They are dedicated professionals, very much connected to the school's motto of "Teach me goodness, discipline and knowledge." We have been warmly embraced by the parent community. As a volunteer, I have had the chance to be around some of the students and I am awed by not just their civility, but their confidence in speaking with adults, with kindness, courtesy and openness. I am confident my child will be more than prepared for college after receiving his diploma from STHS, but more importantly, he will be a better man for attending the school.

Posted January 25, 2012

Our son attends STH and is in the class of 2014. The school is academically very challenging. Curriculum is exceptional and it is definitely a college prep school. The athletic program is very well support by the school and there are so many sports that all students will be able to play at least one sport. Since STH competes in TAPPS athletic league there is less pressure to win at all costs like some of your 5A schools. Most of the after school clubs such as the debate, theater are top notch. There is a strong sense of community with the students, parents and faculty. STH students are much more likely to work together and not participate in less than constructive peer related activities (bullying, discipline, and character issues etc) like some other high schools in the city of Houston. We believe our son is receiving a very well rounded education. We very strongly recommend STH as a high school.

Posted December 14, 2011

My son (9th grader) has only attended since Aug. 2011 so things may change in the future. My son has an average near 89 for all his classes. The school has a cohesive curriculum and that is its strength. The information is overwhelming and the amount of teaching is not commensurate with the information that is given. Additionally, it seems as if 25% of the work is busywork and of minimal educational value. I hope the busywork diminishes and the teaching gets better because the home-schooling my wife and I do cannot last much longer.

Posted August 25, 2009

I am a current Senior(Class of 2010) at STHS and after four years I believe that I am truly prepared for college. St. Thomas has helped me grow as a young man and as an intellectual. To combat the previous comments, the teachers are anything but arrogant. They are kind and sincere and simultaneously, they are incredible teachers and always make sure their students are on the ball. On another note, St. Thomas is an extremely fun and exciting school to attend. There is always something going on with clubs, sports,theater,dances, service opportunities and retreats. In middle school, I was considered as an outcast and didn't really have friends. When I went to St. Thomas, I started to gain a group of friends and now I have an incredible group of friends at St. Thomas, Stake, Duchesne, St.Agnes and IWA. STH is just an overall amazing school and community.

Posted June 12, 2009

The best school for a high school boy to go to. Teachers guide you and help you to find the answer instead of just giving t to you. It teaches every student to be resourceful. It also is a very good school for a Student to get involed in. There are many opportunities for the student to be involved and have fun. Send your kid here

Posted January 12, 2009

Or son attended this school his freshman and sophomore years. He transferred to another private school for his junior and senior years. Transferring to another school was the best move we ever made for our son. Comparing his current teachers to the teachers at STHS really exposes the weaknesses and arrogance of many of the teachers at STHS. If we had to do it all over again we would have avoided STHS. Our son will also graduate this year with college credit in History and English at his current school, which he could not have gotten at STHS. STHS is very over-rated.

Posted May 24, 2008

I agree with you on the teachers being arrogant when asking questions. I know they have helped my son with his learning disabilities, but many of the teachers, not all, want to teach high performing students. However, that is not what our society is about. Even though we are Catholic, I still feel the NCLB Act should be spread throughout all of education in the U. S.

Posted July 3, 2007

St. Thomas is a wonderful school, with over 104 years of tradition, that helped our sons develop into responsible and caring adults. One son graduated in 2004 and is an honors aerospace engineering student at the University of Texas. The other is a senior and will easily get into the college of his choice. Many people have approached me to comment on what fine young men my boys have become. I attribute much of this to the efforts of the dedicated teachers and coaches at STHS.

Posted June 10, 2007

The education I received at St Thomas High School prepared me well for college classes. Also there was a sense of school pride because so many students were involved in athletics. There were countless ways for students to get involved besides athletics as well. The service requirement I think was very important for developing catholic young men too. However I found there was a little too much of the rich, priveleged kid syndrome. Also, I know the new principal has apparently made STH much more strict and less enjoyable. I cant recommend it as highly as I used to, but I enjoyed all my 4 years at STH.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 2, 2006

A great school with great values, which, in today's society means so much. My brother attended this school, and I hope that my children will be as priviledged.

Posted May 9, 2005

This is a great school and community.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted November 26, 2004

Hello! I am delighted with the St. Thomas education that is given to the fellow peers and studens of the school. My child is incredibly organized, only because of the St. Thomas culture. Send your kid here, do not think about anything else. Oh and also, they will give you a lenient finacial assisstance because this school is amazingly urbane and expensive. But, it is worth your money to see your child be happy, successful, and intelligent! Well take my words for it.

Posted June 14, 2004

This is one the best schools in the Houston area. My son has done very well here, and so have my other 2 sons. St. Thomas is a very fun school, and the curriculum is challenging. There is a lot of spirit at St. Thomas, through students, and Alumnae. The school has been around for 104 years, and is still strong. The motto of the school has been used since it started, 'Teach me Goodness, Discipline, and Knowledge'. The parents are well involved, and the teachers are absolutely wonderful.

Asian 4% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All boys
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (713) 864-5750

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4500 Memorial Dr