Incarnate Word Academy

Private | 9-12

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $192,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Sweep tile

Posted February 26, 2014

Incarnate Word Academy isn't too bad of a school. I am a freshman at Incarnate Word and at first I fell in love with the school but as the months passed I was not too fond with it. It can be an advantage having the school so small, but only academically. Socially it can be a problem. A few of the girls I have seen so far in my freshmen class have had troubles making friends. Teachers do seem to care for their students, but the vice-principle I would watch out for. IWA doesn't give you too much of a work load but it is not easy either. I do feel like I am being prepared for college and I hope that any students planning on coming think all the pros and cons of coming to IWA thoroughly.

Posted June 11, 2013

Incarnate Word Academy is a great school, the teachers truly care to teach their students what is needed not only to pass the class or the upcoming test but also to prepare you for college. One thing that I loved from this school was the fact that the teachers teach you to analyze and think for yourself, so that when you become a graduating senior you are able to not only do well in college but also excel. One thing that I did not like about this school is that, I feel, that they do not focus enough on the sports department nor on the fine arts programs. Other than that this school was awesome.

Posted March 7, 2012

It's my first year here, and I love it. It's small, and that makes it easy to know everyone in your class by name. The teachers are awesome, although some of them could work on their teaching method. It's not that they're bad; just a little dry. Honors courses are challenging, but not overly challenging. There are lots of opportunities to work with teachers and honor societies for tutoring. Unlike some other schools, there isn't a stress-inducing pressure to excel, but there are a lot of driven students nonetheless. From what I've heard from the seniors, we've lost a few extracurricular activities over the years, such as a speech and debate team. Hopefully, they can get restarted again. Also, getting some opportunities from local businesses and establishments would make an interesting experience. IWA is underrated because we don't go "all-out" in things such as going out of state for competitions. Honestly, I don't think wall that. Also, the all-girls atmosphere is awesome. Everybody really does act like herself, and there aren't too many pretentious people. No matter what you're interested in, you can find someone who shares your interests. It's so diverse. I love it!

Posted March 3, 2012

IWA is a great school with absolutely great teachers. My daughter is in her 2nd year there and absolutely loves the school, teachers and classmates. I feel completely comfortable contacting the school and/or teachers with any concerns I have. It is a wonderful location - right in the middle of downtown Houston.

Posted August 31, 2011

my daughter just started her first year at IWA and unfortunately it has turned out to be a huge mistake. i really wish i could get the tuition refunded and take her out of this place. she will definitely be going to bellaire high school next year!

Posted November 4, 2010

Incarnate Word Academy has wonderful leadership, dedicated teachers and parents. The college preparatory courses are outstanding! The students have a strong sense of community. IWA's location downtown is idea for the influence of Houston's arts, business and sports, right at the school's doorstep. Extracurricular activities and athletics has a huge percentage of participation by the students. I know that my daughter will be well prepared for college academically and as a confident young lady.

Posted February 2, 2010

IWA is a great school. I've been attending it for three years now and the community feeling here is outstanding. In grade school, I was immensely shy but IWA encouraged me to open up. The facilities are amazing even though we don't have a field. I love it how we are in the middle of downtown right next to Minute Maid Park and George R. Brown. All in all, it's a stupendous school.

Posted October 22, 2009

I am currently a student at IWA, and I absolutely love it there! The students are very accepting and there is a very strong feeling of family and community. The teachers push the students to succeed, and they are very helpful. The building was just completely remodeled and renovated, complete with a new fine arts center. The technology is pretty good, we have new computers in the library and computer lab, and we also have COWs with laptops to move from classroom to classroom. The school is just big enough so that it does not feel too small, but is small enough so that you know almost everyone. The athletic department is developing. Cross country got 3rd in state this year! My only concern is there is not enough school spirit.

Posted August 1, 2009

Good teachers who are willing to help, not a lot of homework, some what challenging. Great location! Not a lot of school sprit or school pride. Underrated and somewhat of a bad rep just because we have more minorities than the other schools.

Posted June 19, 2007

IWA is a wonderful school with great traditions, academic excellence, a principal with good leadership, and excellent teachers. The sports programs are successful as well.

Posted May 2, 2006

The school has all the makings of a great school, but is in a transition period right now with weak leadership. Things should change when the helm is passed in June. Teachers are unsupported and discipline is very inconsistent. Counseling has improved with new counselor, but is late for those graduating this year. Still, a good little school. Clean, neat, polite.

Posted April 1, 2006

Great student/teacher ratio, no one gets lost in the crowd. Strong emphasis on academics and community service.

Posted August 4, 2005

Great school, small student to teacher ratio, great building, quality education
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 29, 2005

This is a 'good' school, safe, diverse, low student teacher ratio, good academic and sport programs. needs music. Teacher turnover this coming year is a question. Also some teachersdon't have the commitment level I've seen elsewhere. Need to 'push' our kids for success alittle more. But on the whole, I'm sending my second daughter there this year, so while not perfect, my trust level is high.

Posted April 14, 2005

Incarnate word is a great school. I truly believe my child is getting the best education possible. Please consider IWA as a school to consider when deciding on your child's education.

Two or more races 11% N/A
Asian 6% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (713) 227-1014

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

609 Crawford St