No rating

St Thomas More Parish School

Private | PK-8

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $251,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted February 7, 2013

Horrible. No one cares about the students or the parents. I will never recommend this school.

Posted January 6, 2013

My kids really hated this school. We could never figure out exactly why. But I can say that the principal is really unfriendly and perhaps this lack of human warmth descends to the faculty. There are a lot of rules - no talking during lunch, for example - that are inconsistently but sometimes angrily enforced. My unhappy child was skipping out of class for weeks and we were never told. The staff is really overwhelmed with 600 students, and, at the same time, not too concerned about any one of them, as there will always be new students flowing in from the horrible public schools nearby. The religious instruction is very uneven. One instructor was superb, the other showed little knowledge of the Catholic faith and often turned over the class to a student while she did something else. A number of parish families have pulled their kids out and homeschooled them or taken them to other Catholic schools.

Posted December 13, 2012

Saint Thomas Moore is by far above average. I went here and now my daughter goes here. It seems like a second home and it is very comfortable here. I like the morals and the teachers here. I support their values and it has a nice community feel to it.

Posted September 19, 2012

What I like the most about this school is that its Catholic. That is the #1 reason and it provides a wonderful curriculum and has done well in preparing my kids for high school and even college.

Posted July 11, 2012

This is truly a great school! I feel that the teaching staff goes above and beyond to make sure my child understands something that he is not getting. They take the time to do that and they are easy to communicate with and always let you know how things are going with your child.

Posted June 20, 2012

This is a great school. I recommend this school to all parents. They do a great job of following the curriculum.

Posted April 20, 2012

St. Thomas More Parish School has both a solid academic curriculum and many extracurricular activities to engage students. Both of my boys have gotten involved in athletics. One of my boys has now gone on to pursue a major in mathematics in college. This school has given my sons the foundation that they need for success later in life.

Posted April 16, 2012

I absolutely love the St Thomas More School. The academic curriculum is well laid out, and the class sizes seem to be a very acceptable number. The school does a nice job with the food service, my kids buy all the time because they like a hot lunch. I definitely would recommend them to anyone looking for a very nice catholic school for their kids.

Posted February 29, 2012

Very Strong Academics - I am the parent of a son that attended STM for Elementary and Middle School. My son is now a Freshman at a local private all boys school in town. STM did an excellent job of preparing him for acceptance into area private High Schools and success at the High School level. STM is a great school!

Posted January 15, 2012

My child attended this school for 2 years and we made the decision to seek out another private school. The school is dishonest and protects a certain group of individuals over others. Honesty and telling the true are high on the list of our family values. Avoid like the plague.

Posted September 15, 2011

The quality of instruction is lacking at this school. The elementary level teachers spend the majority of their instruction time grading every homework assignment, inclass assignments, and tests. Instruction is very poor. Most parents are doing the teaching at home rigorous work. What is the point of providing rigorous work if the teacher is not doing the teaching? Parents accept this because they want their kid to go to a catholic school and /or committed to the parish. The quality of the teacher is the result of the lack of appropriate teaching credentials. Being a parent volunteer is the requirement for getting a teaching job at this school.

Posted August 3, 2011

I have nothing but great things to say about St. Thomas More Parish School. They care about their students. They are very organized, high tech and offer an excellent academic program. The one thing that I absolutely love about St. Thomas More Parish School is the open line of communication. They always keep the parents involved and informed about everything. St. Thomas More Parish School is a great school in the Houston area and I'd definitely recommend them to anyone!

Posted March 26, 2011

Highly recommend this school! Best overall education offered in Houston! We left to go overseas and when we came back we were reminded of what a great education STM had offer!

Posted January 12, 2011

I attended STM from K-8 and graduated 5 years ago. I now have a sister in Junior high and recently came back to visit. I am impressed with how much more diverse the school is. This is a big improvement because when I was there it was mostly white. STM was great academically and athletically and now when you add in the diversity the kids have a lot of learning opportunities and potential for growth. Now for the bad stuff. STM prepared me well for high school but the school has issues teaching boys. Many of the teachers have been there way to long and they do play favorites. Also their lunch and recess time have been cut to the bone and as punishment lots of times they don't allow talking at lunch!!!! They call it Silent Lunch. what a silly punishment. If kids can't talk during lunch that will just make them want to talk more in class. I think this paints a picture of STM. A good school but you must be willing to put up some of its "issues." As a religious school I cannot speak for it now but when I attended it was awful. The Religion teachers were awful and much of the class was either watching movies or reading straight from a book.

Posted December 25, 2010

I am a recent alumni of this school. I started in preschool and went all the way through 8th grade. I will admit that this school was very rigorous and very strong academically. It was the strong academics that prepared me for high school and made my high school career easy, however I was disappointed that there was never a really strong Catholic environment at this school. I would like to see more improvement on the religious aspects of the school. And I will agree that this school is not for everyone the teachers play favorites and some of them do not know how to talk to students. I am happy that this school prepared me for the academic aspects of school, but I never grew in my religious life at this school.

Posted December 14, 2010

What a great place. They are a true training ground for the best houston catholic schools. My child is a sophmore at Strake and is breezing through because of the solid foundation laid at STM. This school is challenging for sure but is a great place for all and very accepting. It is diverse and a very holy and wonderful place.

Posted November 17, 2010

My children attended St. Thomas More Catholic School in Houston, Texas for over five years. The school was built in 1965 and it is a relic. Unfortunately, so are many of the teachers and administrators in this school. Some should never have gotten into the teaching profession in the first place and still others should have retired many years ago. These teachers give a lot of homework every day so that they don't have to teach it themselves in the classroom. They also love to play favorites and see nothing wrong with it. Discipline is a huge problem. As long as the parents pay the tuition, their child can do anything without much consequence. By anything I mean beat up and harass other students, cheat, lie, you name it. The cliques present in this school are terrible - and I'm talking about the parents! If you want your child to learn that the world they live in is cruel, cold, deceiving and money buys happiness, then register him or her in this school right away. I'm sure there are openings. However, if you want your child to be a caring, loving, faithful and compassionate follower of Christ, stay away from this place!

Posted September 18, 2010

I cannot post my true feelings or experiences about this school for fear that Greatschools will delete my comments as told to me by other parents who could not post here. I will just give this school 4 thumbs down.

Posted May 12, 2010

the location, staff,people, kids , church..everything. everything is wonderful. 5-star school.

Posted May 5, 2010

This school is awesome you people who want to chose a good school for your child should pick STM it is a great school
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (713) 721-5644

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5927 Wigton Drive