No rating

St Thomas More Parish School

Private | PK-8

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $251,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted May 5, 2010

This school is awesome you people who want to chose a good school for your child should pick STM it is a great school
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 30, 2010

I am really beginning to be disillusioned with this school. Came in after hearing positive things about it but I have since realized it is all sugar coated. I heartily agree that the pricipal is definitely not warm and sometimes looks through you. again the reception is not warm and that is not good at all considering that first impressions matter a great deal. I do agree that a warmer environment is needed. Also, I think the teacher to student ratio is quite high, is that not why I am paying for a private education? There is a lack of resources to help students who are struggling, rather seems you either do it on your own or your child is just pushed along with the flow. Hmmm Bahhhh

Posted April 26, 2010

Too much focus especially in the elementary grades on giving LOTS of homework and grading it. 7 and 8 years old shouldn't be getting 3 hours of homework. It concerns me when I see the homework pile bigger than the inclass work pile. It makes you think there is less teaching going on in class due to the amount of homework. I haven't seen my child's average go up significantly. It is disturbing how some of the teachers talk to the children and how fearful parents are in speaking up.

Posted April 7, 2010

No selective admission process. They welcome anyone who applies. No waiting list to deal with. Expectations are high, but it seems there is more homework than in class work. Homework is actually graded.

Posted April 7, 2010

We are new to the school. I do find many of the parents to be intimidated by staff and even teachers. They don't speak up even when unhappy about their child's progress.

Posted March 28, 2010

I read the reviews. School does have high expectations (at times unrealistic), but the teachers do not or have no knowledge where to refer students for extra help or any recommendations. As far as the math program Everyday Math is only used up until 5th or 6th grade. The administration will take your concerns seriously if you are involved in the school. This school is very republican and appears to be less tolerant surrounding certain issues. Too political instead being focused more on catholic teaching all the time. One of the reasons I left.

Posted March 10, 2010

Principal is a problem. She is non-responsive and does not want to be too involved when there is a concern. This is unusual when parents are keeping the school open by paying tuition and fundraising.

Posted January 8, 2010

Transfd from SFDS into 5th. My daughter still attends and will go thru to 8th. More activities for the children, the teachers are SO MUCH NICER & talk to the children instead of at them. Lunch program is awesome. Grades are emailed to parents regularly. Academically awesome, prepares them for college. Tuition is VERY reasonable compared to other Catholic schools. We've had problems w/some teachers, but over all I would recommend this school. I feel like they really care about my daughter and that's important.

Posted September 16, 2009

I agree with the last two posts. More emphasis on writing, parent orientation to the University of Chicago Mathematics program, better communication between parents and teachers as to what students are working on week by week, and in a previous post diversity among staff.

Posted September 10, 2009

STM has a little over 500 students if you include pre-school students. As for academics they try to push the students to read a year above their grade level for Reading, English, and Spelling. The math program is University of Chicago Math program. I would like to see more emphasis on writing though.

Posted August 6, 2009

I have been active at St. Thomas More Parish since 1977. We sent our four children to the school and we are now involved as Grandparents of attending students. As our children left STM to attend High School and then College I was glad that we had given them a good start. Some of our children went to Catholic High School and some went to Public High School, no matter which high school system they entered, they were one of the best prepared for their high school academics. As they continued their higher education, I heard each one of them, at one time or another, express their appreciation for their educational foundation given to them at STM. Now that they are grown and parents, they are seeking the best they can give their children, a Catholic Education. They are sending their children to STM. I noticed a comment about the tuition being one of the highest in the Archdiocese for Elementary/Jr. High; my research finds this not to be true. If you compare the schools of like size which offer similar opportunity you find STM to be very reasonably priced. If you are considering Catholic Education, take time to give STM a look. I don t believe you will be disappointed.

Posted July 21, 2009

Like the other commentators, I would agree to some extent that STM is not a warm and fuzzy place. However, I have found that the teachers do connect with the kids and have fun with them after the priorities of learning/teaching have taken place. I have 3 children @ the school and am very pleased with how they are being prepared to meet future academic challenges. I am also thankful for the the character development that is stressed @ STM. This school is for those who want their children to succeed in real life where everything isn't sugar coated or handed to them on a platter.

Posted April 18, 2009

Very strong academic with trachers and administration that cares. Promotes parental involvement in your child's education. Many high school scholarships are given to our students and high schools love our students!

Posted April 7, 2009

I agree with so many of the negative comments about this school. The principal is not warm and it is time to make a few faculty and administrative changes - people with a fresh and positive outlook, which is entirely the reason why we will be leaving. This was our first year there and will be our last. I am not happy at all with several fo the staff and they way they condust daily business.

Posted March 4, 2009

Academics are very strong, with writing being an exception. Not the place for you if you are looking for warm and fuzzy nurturing for your child. Time to make a few faculty and administrative changes - people with a fresh and positive outlook.

Posted November 11, 2008

St. Thomas More offers Kindergarten to 8th grade classes. The student to teacher ratio is 1 teacher to 23 kids. Kids are grouped in reading and math based on ability. At the elementary level kids move from one class to the next like middle school. The teacher will work with your child but you must keep in close contact with them or else your child will be lost. The principal is not a very warm person to say the least.

Posted May 26, 2007

My kids are currently enrolled in STM. Teachers are supportive, small student/teacher ratio, great school

Posted May 22, 2007

I am a graduate of this school. It has helped me excel and be the very best I can be. The school gave me the intial building blocks i needed to achieve at my high school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 25, 2005

I am a fifth grade student at this St.Thomas More School. The teachers help the students with their needs and weaknesses. they have sports teams such as track, baseball, basketball, volleyball, and soccer which is open for 6th-8th and track open for 5th-8th. I really would recommend this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 29, 2004

St. Thomas More Parish School is a wonderful environnment for children to grow and learn. My children have attended this school for over 3 years and I am very satisfied. I strongly recommend this school.

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (713) 721-5644

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5927 Wigton Drive