PK-K|Private

Bad
Good

St. James School has a wonderful history, however, recently the school is not at all a place I would send my child or recommend to fellow parent. My child went to St. James for a couple of years and I am very disappointed and feel that both my time and money were wasted. The school is very unorganized and the principal is rarely available for parents. Whenever I needed to speak with her (morning/afternoon) she was always "at lunch". The teacher turnover s unbelievable. During my child s stay at St. James (2-yrs) I counted a replacement of six teachers! The environment is not very kid friendly and the classrooms seem crowded and un-orderly. I know parents, one in particular, who was very vocal about the lead teacher and her behavior. Her complaints were dismissed and she was treated terrible for speaking out about the teachers behavior. She removed her children and it didn t take long for others to recognize the problem and follow. St. James needs a fresh start, principal, staff and administration. I would recommend saving your $$ and finding a great public school b/c there is no difference in the quality of education when it comes to this school.

I've had to lower my expectations for this school, and my children are at St. James because it is convenient and cheap childcare until I can find something more appropriate. The families, staff and students are nice, especially the students, who are really loving and nice with each other. The facilities need a lot of work: classrooms and other space are dark, cluttered, and not warm and bright like I would expect a school to be. To access the school, you have to enter a door and be buzzed in, but the buzzer rarely works and someone in the office has to come let you in if they are able to see you. I have to find alternate ways into the school on a regular basis, and I can't reach the office via phone. The school has not had a full-time principal so I can't comment on that. But when I have had questions or problems, they do try to address them. Most of the teachers are nice, but don't seem to really be well-trained and don't really know how to engage the students. They rely heavily on videos and computer programs and I don't feel this is a learning center, but daycare. They have cookies, sweet buns and chips for the kids to eat regularly. They have a decent PTO.

I attended this school many years ago and it was an excellent experience.However I do feel the curriculum is rather laid back which is disappointing because the teachers are excellent

I have been a parent at St. James for several years and one of the things I have noticed is the some of the teachers are very laid back and they don't push the children to learn. The after school program is good but I don't think the children are being challenged academic wise.

My daughter has been at St.James school for 11yrs and I have witnessed that 'Great Things Are Happening There.' She tested post high school on the Stanford 10 and can compete with students at any other Private, Magnet, and or Vanguard school. When interviewing at one of the premier private high schools the teachers were impressed that our students had already taken the required studies for the 9th grade. The liberal arts program has lifted her to another level of excellence that will enable continued success.

After carefully researching and visiting private schools such as Northland Christian Academy and others, I discovered that St. James offered the same curriculum at a fraction of the cost. It is not the tuition that keeps us there; it s my child's level of confidence and comfort that brings us back - this is her 2nd year. When I enrolled my child in St. James in Sept. 05, she was performing on or above grade level; however, she lacked the self-confidence that would allow her to perform higher. After one semester, she performed on a fifth grade level in some areas of math on the Stanford 10. She continues to be challenged academically, but more importantly her self-esteem has blossomed under the guidance of experienced, qualified, and committed teachers. St. James has mastered the art of providing a quality education in a nurturing environment, for us that is priceless.

St. James is an excellent school. My three kids attend. The Pre-k kids are reading by the time they are in kindergarten. The first and second graders are really advanced. The middle school is great because they are not too many in the classes so that teachers can reach every child. It is a small caring environment for the kids. The after school program is awesome. The kids learn dance, percussion and piano. Pick up time is 5:45 p.m. and that gives me time to finish work and get my kids. Stop by and see for yourself!

My three sons attend St. James School (SJS) and, although some of their classmates have left over the years, I still believe that we've continued to make the right decision by returning every year. Anything is what you make of it and all schools have their own problems, but I feel confident that my children are getting what they need academically, socially, emotionally and spiritually. The SJS teachers have provided my children with unbelievable love and guidance and allowed them to 'let their little lights shine.' Furthermore, what is never emphasized enough, is that the students who attend SJS from Pre-K through 8th grade are more than prepared for high school, score extremely high on the national standardized exams, breeze through high school entrance exams and have confidence levels through the roof. When you decide that you want better for your child, come and see us at St. James School.

The principal is the sweetest, most caring person you'll ever meet. If she has a fault, it is that she is too nice, but I'll bet she can spell.

St. James is a wonderful school. I would recommend it to anyone seeking a nurturing, Christian environment with caring teachers and a curriculum that is challenging and fun. The fine arts program is awesome!

Last modified St James School is a Private school that serves grades PK-K