Houston, TX
Students enrolled: 1,500
Before care: Yes

Posted December 10, 2014
We chose VS for academics but love the enrichment; chess, math and science, theater, music, athletics, creative writing, team building, leadership, travel and more. The community is diverse and VS families have education as a priority. The students encourage each other and respect each other s talents. My children have never said they don't want to go to school, which is priceless. My older child transitioned seamlessly from VMS to Village High, loves the IB curriculum and is receiving excellent college acceptances with scholarship offers. My younger student is having the same great experience in middle school. The same fabulous teachers and administrators are still there; more experiential learning, use of technology and deeper investigation. I am thrilled that my child can work independently and manage time so well. The new Head of School, Gabriella Rowe, is a catalyst as Village continues to grow. We ll soon have a middle school expansion, turf athletic field, tennis courts and a fifty meter pool! Ms. Rowe is also doing what it takes to help our teachers remain passionate, which truly makes the difference. I have absolutely no doubt that The Village School is the best!

Posted November 12, 2014
We started at TVS based on its reputation of a academics.My child went to TVS from 6th-10th.Each year brought lower standards, higher tuition.Too many movies in class, with nothing to do with the subject matter,a class field-trip to some part of the US,with nothing to do with any learning activity.Too many teacher in-service days.During this period there was always teacher turnover. When I look at the faculty today,only 4 teachers left from the 6th-8th grade years.The academics are a joke,no accountability, or responsibility placed on the students for turning in quality work,or even turning work in on-time.The school may be IB certified,but the way it is run,you can tell getting the students an IB diploma is not high on the list.The majority of the students do not pursue an IB.We also found the children to be very unwelcoming,to just plain rude & snobbish.Most had an 'entitlement' attitude,and if you did not live in,or near the neighborhood they lived in,the children & parents really did not show interest in you.If you look at quality of learning vs. dollar spent, you can do better. Looking back,I wish I spent my $125k over 5 years someplace else.
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 09, 2014
Our son has been at TVS since 1st grade, and I agree with earlier reviewers who bemoan the current - and continual - downward slide that the school is taking. The grading system, if you can call it that since there are no actual grades, is awful. My son and his friends are all extremely frustrated by it - they work hard, study hard, do their assignments and get every single question correct on a test, only to come home with "ME" or some such thing. They want a "100." They are similarly frustrated by the "whackadoo" curriculum (his word, not mine) and the Everyday Math monstrosity - he's embarrassed when people ask him, an above-average private-schooled 5th grader, what he's learning in math and he has to tell them "multiplication." Because that's what they've been doing for weeks now in math class... multiplication. They aren't reading in reading class (why??), they aren't studying spelling or grammar in language (again...why??), and their term curriculum in Spanish seems to be a 6-week "research" project where they are spending most of the time searching the internet for trivia and photos. All of this is highly disturbing. We are already working on an exit strategy.
5 people found this helpful

Posted March 07, 2014
It's a great school. My son is extremely happy here. As far as the curriculum is concerned, it is advanced yet very modern. The techniques and teaching style does not put bourdon on children. I love the fact that there is open communication between parents and teachers. My son enjoys his school and he is also progressing at a very fast pace without getting stressed.

Posted January 29, 2014
I've been a student at The Village School for four years, now in 10th, and I love it. Every school has its ups and downs (this is my 5th school), but I've found the teachers and staff at Village to be extremely approachable, knowledgable, and fun. There have definitely been some changes in the last few years but mostly they've been positive.... Yea, they've gotten stricter on uniform and rules, but it is a private school that's getting a lot bigger. People complain when things change, even when they make changes we want...like grade weighting. I think some people/parents just complain to feel important. The school is legit and is getting better and better!

Posted December 30, 2013
I have been at the Village School since I was in Kindergarten and now I am in 7th grade. Ever since Meritas bought the school, everything collapsed: the tuition is super high, the teachers don't have any experience and it seems to me that the only thing Village cares about it MONEY. The new grading system is driving me out of my mind. I asked one of my teachers what I need to work on and I told her I don't understand why I received the grade I got and she said she doesn't know either. The Village School is loosing its traditions and it is in huge trouble. They are now accepting anyone who takes the test if their parents have the money to pay. We used to be amazing in Math and Science but now, we are focusing on Every Day Math. It does not surprise me that many people are leaving and complaining. When I do move schools, I have to admit that the memories and friends that I have made at this school will always be remembered. I will never meet better friends. They are like my family. Anyways, the Village School isn't even listening to the frustrated parents and teachers. It is not a successful school. So please reconsider about going to The Village School if you want to be happy.

The Village School 3

Posted December 03, 2013
Since Meritas arrived, it has brought with it poor leadership, coupled with weak administration. Some fantastic teachers at this school propping up inexperienced colleagues . Super atmosphere , happy students but underlying problems need addressing
3 people found this helpful

The Village School 3

Posted November 21, 2013
I am a long time LS and MS parent at Village School. VS has pockets of excellence, but the two changes this year are: (1) Standards Based Grading, which hurts good students, as some of the grades are capped (ex: in some classes the highest grade possible is a 94, even if you get everything right. Other assignments, max grade is a 90.) This is going to be a HUGE problem for the school, and they are not listening to parents or students about the practical effect of this. No other major private school in Houston does this - why they changed the old grading system has not been clearly explained; (2) changed the math system to Every Day Math (Singapore Math is better.) Many children are having trouble with math now, and it used to be a big strength for the school. I hear from many LS and MS parents that they are planning on leaving due to these two changes. The school administration does not listen to parents or teachers, and it is a "for profit" school, so making money is the priority. I am happy to pay for value, but the tuition has gone up and the value is down. If you care about your children's grades, DO NOT COME TO VS. I love the school, but it is in big trouble.

Posted November 09, 2013
Our kids love school. This is the most important criteria. They are challenged, finally! They have a large group of diverse friends. We wanted the best education in an international atmosphere and I think Village has met and surpassed our expectations. The teachers are so committed. We were made to feel right at home from the start. Our children have different academic strengths and both are challenged and so far successful. Couldn't be happier.

The Village School 4

Posted November 03, 2013
I am a current Village High School student. The high school itself is expanding at such a rapid pace, we have a new amazing building and are about to build a new theatre and sports fields. The IB curriculum that is offered is very challenging, yet it's a very good program! I love the diversity of cultures throughout the students. My only problem is that when a teacher is complained about, the administration doesn't really listen, other than that it's a great learning environment! The teachers are very supportive and want you to do well, therefore they're always available before or after school. The grading system is different in the high school than the rest of the school. The new grading system for the 1st-8th grade is great! Instead of just putting a grade on your report card, it lets teachers tell the parents of their students if (no matter what the grade) their student is improving and meeting the expectations that the teachers has with the students, specifically. The fact that the high school is just starting up is actually a great experience. You, as a student, get to start all the traditions and clubs, which is something not every high school student gets to experience.

The Village School