Houston, TX
Students enrolled: 1,500

The Village School 3

Posted August 27, 2015
Previous review is very misleading on pupil numbers at British international school of Houston. I have 3 children in the secondary school and all their classes have less than 15 pupils!

Posted August 18, 2015
Families who left the British International School of Houston due to crowded classrooms and high student to teacher ratios to try Village are greatly disappointed. Now it has also been bought out by Nord Anglia. Decreased academic time, chaotic administration, students packed into small classrooms like sardines, and a high emphasis on profit making. Already school times have shortened and the administration has scrapped caps on class sizes. Hopefully we won't have to suffer again with up to 30 students per class. Uncertified teachers stressed out. Suggest you try a non-profit school instead. The rest of us will have to wait a whole year as the steep tuition has already been paid.

Posted June 11, 2015
I would highly advise against sending your child to TVS. The curriculum is very disorganized, and the teachers do not sufficiently prepare students for assignments. The assignments that are given are online, and are not created by the teachers themselves, which results in a disconnect between the information that is taught in the classroom and the work that is expected to be done at home. The online assignments are also unnecessarily confusing and provide no help or guidance when the student needs help with a concept. For example, when my sophomore was struggling with her online physics problems, she asked my senior who had completed pre-AP physics with A's both semesters at a different school for help. Even after looking over her notes from class, there were still several problems that he could not figure out. On top of the unnecessarily confusing and disconnected material, my sophomore found it extremely difficult to reach out to teachers for help with concepts that she struggled with. The Village School also has an administration that is an absolute NIGHTMARE to deal with. My daughter has come home several times in tears due to unjustified personal criticisms and rude remarks from teachers, and as far as I can tell they have done nothing to address these issues despite several complaints made on my part. "Sexting" is a rampant problem in the upper levels of the school, and the administration is clueless in regard to disciplinary action. To illustrate this point, there was a student in my daughter's class who was expelled, yes EXPELLED, simply for having a small quantity of the NSAID ibuprofen on her person. This issue was handled extremely poorly and my heart goes out to the parents of this student, who, to my knowledge, were not refunded any of the $25,000 tuition after this administrative abomination. I'm sure that there are some students who are happy at TVS, but my sophomore and I have both had an overwhelmingly negative experience with the school. Needless to say, we are looking in to other educational options for my sophomore who will certainly not be returning to TVS next year. If you place any value on your child's emotional health or educational experience, you would be better off avoiding The Village School entirely and spending your hard earned money elsewhere.

Posted May 28, 2015
The administration is crumbling... it's just going downhill. Especially the high school. They had a few good teachers, but they left because they didn't like it.

Posted January 09, 2015
I had two students at this Village School for 5 years but left last year. The school had a great parent community and offered a valable international community experience. There are a few amazing teachers, but too many average or below ones. Sadly, while the facilities greatly improved, we experienced a decline in the academic and nurturing aspects in both the Middle and High Schools. Leadership was weak, with the school seemingly unsure of its academic focus and over zealous in assuming students would behave badly- resulting in an erosion of respect for authority by students. I would find it difficult to recommend this school to prospective parents

Posted December 10, 2014
We chose VS for academics but love the enrichment; chess, math and science, theater, music, athletics, creative writing, team building, leadership, travel and more. The community is diverse and VS families have education as a priority. The students encourage each other and respect each other s talents. My children have never said they don't want to go to school, which is priceless. My older child transitioned seamlessly from VMS to Village High, loves the IB curriculum and is receiving excellent college acceptances with scholarship offers. My younger student is having the same great experience in middle school. The same fabulous teachers and administrators are still there; more experiential learning, use of technology and deeper investigation. I am thrilled that my child can work independently and manage time so well. The new Head of School, Gabriella Rowe, is a catalyst as Village continues to grow. We ll soon have a middle school expansion, turf athletic field, tennis courts and a fifty meter pool! Ms. Rowe is also doing what it takes to help our teachers remain passionate, which truly makes the difference. I have absolutely no doubt that The Village School is the best!

Posted November 12, 2014
We started at TVS based on its reputation of a academics.My child went to TVS from 6th-10th.Each year brought lower standards, higher tuition.Too many movies in class, with nothing to do with the subject matter,a class field-trip to some part of the US,with nothing to do with any learning activity.Too many teacher in-service days.During this period there was always teacher turnover. When I look at the faculty today,only 4 teachers left from the 6th-8th grade years.The academics are a joke,no accountability, or responsibility placed on the students for turning in quality work,or even turning work in on-time.The school may be IB certified,but the way it is run,you can tell getting the students an IB diploma is not high on the list.The majority of the students do not pursue an IB.We also found the children to be very unwelcoming,to just plain rude & snobbish.Most had an 'entitlement' attitude,and if you did not live in,or near the neighborhood they lived in,the children & parents really did not show interest in you.If you look at quality of learning vs. dollar spent, you can do better. Looking back,I wish I spent my $125k over 5 years someplace else.

Posted October 09, 2014
Our son has been at TVS since 1st grade, and I agree with earlier reviewers who bemoan the current - and continual - downward slide that the school is taking. The grading system, if you can call it that since there are no actual grades, is awful. My son and his friends are all extremely frustrated by it - they work hard, study hard, do their assignments and get every single question correct on a test, only to come home with "ME" or some such thing. They want a "100." They are similarly frustrated by the "whackadoo" curriculum (his word, not mine) and the Everyday Math monstrosity - he's embarrassed when people ask him, an above-average private-schooled 5th grader, what he's learning in math and he has to tell them "multiplication." Because that's what they've been doing for weeks now in math class... multiplication. They aren't reading in reading class (why??), they aren't studying spelling or grammar in language (again...why??), and their term curriculum in Spanish seems to be a 6-week "research" project where they are spending most of the time searching the internet for trivia and photos. All of this is highly disturbing. We are already working on an exit strategy.

Posted March 07, 2014
It's a great school. My son is extremely happy here. As far as the curriculum is concerned, it is advanced yet very modern. The techniques and teaching style does not put bourdon on children. I love the fact that there is open communication between parents and teachers. My son enjoys his school and he is also progressing at a very fast pace without getting stressed.

Posted January 29, 2014
I've been a student at The Village School for four years, now in 10th, and I love it. Every school has its ups and downs (this is my 5th school), but I've found the teachers and staff at Village to be extremely approachable, knowledgable, and fun. There have definitely been some changes in the last few years but mostly they've been positive.... Yea, they've gotten stricter on uniform and rules, but it is a private school that's getting a lot bigger. People complain when things change, even when they make changes we want...like grade weighting. I think some people/parents just complain to feel important. The school is legit and is getting better and better!

The Village School