Houston, TX

Posted January 29, 2015
My daughter attended this school for seven years and the principles of the school are astounding. This is the type of school where your punishment for a "too short" skirt is much worse than the punishment for bullying. In fact the bullying problem is practically entirely ignored by the staff, and other parents when confronted about their child's behavior don't even bat an eyelash. The curriculum is outdated, and many concepts are taught robotically and the concepts are ignored completely. The entire school is rather sexist, with practically no middle school sports for girls other than volleyball. The sports program is kind of pathetic- there is no football team, no baseball team, no upper school softball team, and the only sports for lower school are soccer and highland dance. There is no traditional band, but a Scottish Pipe Band, which I will admit is amazing but isn't very helpful in life. By the way girls have only been allowed to be in the band as of two years ago. Haven't they heard of gender equality? Highland dancers and band members get special treatment from the staff and tend to get away with bad grades and misconduct. I truly regret sending my daughter to this school.

Posted July 31, 2014
I am a parent of a 13 year graduate who has been extremely successful in college. She was accepted to top tier universities for her chosen field of study and was offered scholarships to many of these schools. Because of the size of the school, the students have an opportunity to participate in many extracurricular activities such as sports, music, highland dance and drama. My daughter's friends were Christian, Hindu and Muslim and I saw no evidence of anyone being treated differently. They have remained very close in the following 4 years. Our younger child is currently a student at STES and we are please to see that the middle school program has had some recent positive changes. While the curriculum is rigorous, my girls never wanted to miss school and were always cheerful as they left for the day.

Posted July 17, 2014
Non-Christians are welcome but understand your child is attending (or applying to) a Christian school. So Christian view is what will be taught. Academics are excellent and challenging however homework is very heavy. Some children (and their parents) struggle with the workload even if the student understands all the concepts and lessons. Watching a smart, enthusiastic kid struggle under unnecessary piles of paper and books every night is heartbreaking. This is the only reason for the 4 stars. I wish more schools would realize that tons of homework does not necessarily make a better, smarter student. Some actually retain more by doing a bit less!

Posted January 27, 2014
I am really surprised by the negative reviews, stating that the school does not accept or integrate non-Christian children. This is simply false. As long as you instill an open-mindedness in your child as to learning about another religion, there is no issue. The teachers are very nurturing and loving here and the academic program is first-class. The sense of community and the great values of treating others with respect are additional pluses. We are zoned to an excellent public school but have decided to send our daughter here for two years now because of the great strides she has made both in maturity and academics. It is hard to find a school that balances education so well with culture (art/music program is fantastic) and community.

Posted September 06, 2013
Academically challenging - my child feels stressed. Tons of homework, demanding academics - a lot advanced when compared to the good public school we moved from (I think this is a con not a pro as many might - I would rather a child enjoy their childhood - there are loads of time to learn). Christian - I have no problems here (we are not practicing christians and we have not felt excluded. I don't care if they make my child read the bible - they will choose their beliefs as they grow. You can expose them to an alternate thought to make them better rounded. I don't mind everyday Chapel either - some quite contemplation time everyday cant be bad for anyone) Community oriented - small enough that all families know each other. Many parents are alumni - tells me a lot about the quality. Friendly and welcoming - our first year here so this may be a premature review. So far so good.

Posted March 16, 2013
My daughter is now in her 4th year at St. Thomas - and over those years I have come to know several of the faculty and parents, including the headmaster, Michael Cusack. They truly have my respect, not only as teachers.. but as thinkers, innovators, and leaders in education. The curriculum is challenging and encourages an understanding of the liberal arts and sciences, balanced by the values of forgiveness, love, and understanding deeply rooted in Christian belief systems. Their Scottish Arts program is unbelievable to see and I am constantly amazed at the artistic abilities of the students who have been encouraged over the years by the school. We explored several private schools in Houston and decided on St. Thomas' based on a tour of the school and talking with faculty and others who knew of or had experienced the school. Also, I believe that the tuition is quite reasonable compared with other private schools in Houston that we considered. I would also encourage any parents considering a private school education to meet with Mr. Cusack and the faculty and see it for yourself. I believe that you will like what you see.

Posted March 14, 2013
Not a good school if you are not Christian. Met the interim director and she was very nice and said that my son would get in with no problem. Went for interview with the headmaster Michael Cusack and I already knew that he did not wanted to give admission. Letter said that there are several factors that went into decision for not giving admission and it really irritated me for wasting my time and their time to go through this process. I don't mind them being Christian school but I would prefer headmaster to be straightforward. He also said that my son would be considered for Bridge to K program. So this is confounding to parents who are not treated the same as the other parents who are Christian.

Posted March 05, 2013
Confounding that someone would not understand that a school name "St. Thomas' Episcopal" with a mission statement "Forming honorable men and women through a classical education in a Christ-centered world view," would be a religious school supporting Christian students. Secondly, even more confounding that someone would not understand why the Bible would be used as an important curriculum tool in "Sacred Studies" and "Ancient History" courses. Say what you will, but STE does not hide their religious identity, nor should they have to. We are proud of what we believe. As for ostracizing non-Christian students, this is absolutely not true. We have students of various faith backgrounds - Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish. We openly embrace these students and they are as much a part of our community as any student of a Christian faith. We are diverse population that strives to learn from one another to become better people.

Posted March 03, 2013
Religious school that supports its Christian students; non-Christian students tend to be ostracized. School also teaches the Bible as literal history, which is...confounding.

Posted January 19, 2013
I have had four children go through STE. The first one entered STE in 7th grade, a transfer from a good Fort Bend ISD public school, and struggled the entire year just to keep up. The second one went through HISD's Vanguard program and when we moved him to STE for 6th grade, he knew less than an STE 5th grader. Having learned our lesson, we moved the last two to STE in from the Sights and Vanguard programs in lower school. They knew so little, we held both of them back a year! My point here is that STE is not easy. It is HARD WORK. But your kid will learn more than you thought possible. All four kids went on to wonderful colleges and are successful adults now. Because of STE's emphasis on manners (they must say "Yes ma'am." and "No sir.") and Christian values, they are comfortable in adult situations and are very self-assured. We calculated once that we got back about $45K all told, in savings on college courses they placed out of because of APs and their scores on the colleges' own placement tests. It was a good school when we started and an even better school now. Oh, and the band is co-ed now...finally!

St Thomas Episcopal School
4900 Jackwood Street, Houston, TX  77096
Last modified St Thomas Episcopal School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
St Thomas Episcopal School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top