PK-1|Private

Bad
Good

Northwood offers a wonderful AMI accredited Montessori program (one of only 3 AMI accredited schools in the Houston area). The Primary classrooms (ages 3-7) are superb environments for early learning without all the flashy distractions common in many preschool settings. Since the kids choose what they are working on, the child engagement is amazing to watch. Northwood also has a Montessori Toddler environment for younger students. Both of my children thrived at this school learning at their own pace. And the feedback we continually get from other teachers, friends, family and total strangers is that they are impressed by our children's character development, depth of understanding of academic subjects and overall how they engage in the world and manage themselves.

We had to relocate mid-year otherwise my two children would have continued here. I looked at every other montessori in Houston and they did not compare. This is a true Montessori adherent and we have been unable to find an equivalent since moving.

This school may be Houston's best kept secret. I've actually researched where the kids have gone on to school after attending Northwood and it's amazing. The children are not only getting into Houston's top private schools but are THE top students there! At public schools, the kids are getting into GT programs and AP classes. Northwood parents are repeatedly told that their kids are way ahead. The children's academics are excellent, but even better the kids come out as well-rounded little individuals. This school is not to be missed. Much of enrollment is done simply by word of mouth. The school is off of urban FM1960, but its street, Welcome Lane is just that. Once there, you'll see the butterflty garden at the entrance. The classrooms all have birds and fish and plants inside. The playground is expansive with trees and flowers. There's a full playground and a track to ride trikes. I'm a parent grateful that I found this place for my two kids. The non-profit school is one of only 4 true, AMI Montessori schools in the state. It is accredited and rigorously tested each year. The teachers have been there for ten plus years. As you can tell, I did my research. This is the place.

My son is a current student here. The teachers and helpers are wonderful and caring. Even the parents are extremely involved in this school.

Wonderful location, staff and curriculum. My daughter is a current student at Northwood and has been there for the last three years. It's an absolutely wonderful place with caring staff and excellent academics. My daughter has blossomed during her time there and I'm so very sad that we'll have to find a different school next year since they only go through first grade. Highly recommend!!!

My sone went there for a 8 months until we had to move out of the city. The school is PHENOMENAL. The teachers are so caring and nurturing. The older children were so thoughtful which was a result of their experience at Northwood. My child was the youngest in the class and I was amazed at how caring the older children were towards him. The ambience is serene and natural beauty. I have not been able to find a school that is as good as Northwood.

Both of our children have been attending since 2.5 years old. I had visited all the montessori schools in the Northwest area before choosing Northwood. The minute I walked into a classroom to observe, I knew it was the right place for us. The environment is nuturing, peaceful, respectful, and individualized. Every child works at their own pace. You stay with the same teacher and classroom each year, so there is continuity and a chance for the older children to help their younger peers. In addition to the outstanding academics, the children learn manners and self-discipline. The teachers and staff are wonderful! Northwood is so successful due to the cohesive community of teachers, staff, parents, and children. My children also attend the home environment room for after school care. It's as well run as the classrooms with a more related environment of quality educational toys, spanish lessons, and no TV!

Both our kids went to this school. It offers a very nurturing environment without sacrificing discipline. The teaching and administrative staff are highly dedicated and very involved. The school's setting at the end of a quiet lane is ideal for young minds; the school has been a secure and loving place for our kids. Despite having graduated a few years ago, our older child still loves to visit Northwood Montessori and spend his off day there. Kudos to the board and staff for their hard work!

Last modified Northwood Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-1