No rating

Alexander-Smith Academy

Private | 9-12

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $253,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted February 11, 2014

I am a parent, and I am looking for a private high school in Houston for my boy now.

Posted March 18, 2013

This school has been overwhelming disappointing to my child. The teachers are painfully weak, unkind to the students, and truly uncaring. I see now that no one had rated the school in 3 years, there may have been a time it was a good school. I think people say they like it because they are desperate and have no other choice for their child. My child did have other choices and I thought the small school would be nice. But the inflexibility, lack of respect for the students, terrible teaching, and very odd teachers has been a total disaster. The principal is very nice, but has no intention of asking terrible faculty and admin to leave who have been there for decades. A crime, especially at the cost financially and for a kids' childhood.

Posted December 16, 2010

This school is very weak academically. The total instruction time is much less than other schools. There are no classes on Fridays, and there are all kinds of breaks (winter break, spring break etc). Kids come from other private schools (Awty, St John's) and find the material very easy-- a slacker school. Agreed that some kids can benefit as they make easy As but what they will miss is good background in very important classes (Chemistry, Physics)

Posted July 11, 2010

Loved it small class size was so much better than any of the big ones

Posted June 14, 2010

Going to Alexander Smith Academy was the best decision I have ever made. I loved that the classes were so small that each student received the individual attention he or she needed but large enough to get into a heated class discussion or debate. Another great part about ASA is that the teachers truly care about the progress each student makes and intervenes when they feel a student is struggling. I would have never gone to another school besides this one and I am so grateful for the past 4 years that I have spent there.

Posted August 26, 2009

ASA is the best school I have been to (and I should know as I have been to seven in several parts of the world). The teachers are friendly, helpful and care about your education. Tutorials are amazing, the teachers will sit with you one on one and go through the entire lesson with you if that is what you need. Every Friday is dedicated to tutorials so you can get all the help you need. Though many view the Fridays as a day off!! Come and see ASA and you will be made to feel welcome.

Posted April 11, 2005

When I visited this school for my daughter I was VERY impressed. The school is providing a very nurturing and supportive place for the kids and giving them a great education.

Posted April 11, 2005

Wonderful teachers at this school...they are life savers.

Posted April 11, 2005

This is an EXCELLENT school. There is a fair amount of time and attention given to all students and the teachers are wonderful.

Posted February 7, 2005

This school saved my life! The teachers are great and the class size is small. My parents were always really involved and able to talk to teachers whenever possible. -Heather Pratt

Posted September 28, 2003

Best treatment of students in the Houston Area. Happiest students, kindest teachers and staff. This school really cares about the student and the family.

Posted September 4, 2003

this is a great school, it rocks it is fun and the teachers are great.

Posted August 22, 2003

This school was the best thing that ever happened to me. I transfered here during my senior year from a large, public high school. I wish I had attended this school all four years. The class sizes are extremely small, and the teachers really can devote attention to each student. I looked forward to going to school every day. If every school in the country was organized like this one, every student could and would go on to college.

Asian or Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Fax number
  • (713) 266-8857

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10255 Richmond Avenue