PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I am so pleased with my sons’ education at this school. Everyone at the school knows every student and parent’s name, making you feel important and not just a warm body that they are happy to get tuition from. The staff and teachers have very low turnover, which tells me that they are all happy and are there for the right reasons. The class sizes are also small, which helps children get more individualized learning. This was our first year of classical education and I wish that we would have found it earlier for my oldest son. My children were able to attend a top-notch International School overseas that cost $25K a year, but I was not as happy with the curriculum or the teaching. Yes the facilities were nicer at the more expensive school, but my son struggled with spelling, handwriting, and reading because his previous school concentrated on math and science. The school uses Saxon Math, Shurley English, and Spalding for reading. The curriculum is very strong and taught by teachers that have many years of experience. Saxon math is great because the problems are demonstrated as word problems from early on instead of numerous worksheets with simple math problems, which allows the children to be able to use math in the everyday world and not just compute the problems when they are presented in a simple way. One last thing to mention is that this school runs like a well-oiled machine because the Director, Preschool Director, and Headmaster have been at the school for a while. I have been at schools where the facilities were new and so were the school directors, staff, and teachers; it really takes many years to work the kinks out and learn from your mistakes. Memorial Lutheran is an awesome school at a great price! Yes we could go to a public school, but I would rather skip that 1 year transition for my children because some of the current parents at Memorial Lutheran went to Briargrove and returned to Memorial Lutheran.

Very religious and lacking in basic Math and Reading instruction. Students leave after elementary grades so middle school is very small.

Top notch education. Everything from the teachers, to the curriculum, to the facilities, to the office faculty are excellent. My children have been going to MLS for four years and I have been consistently impressed during that time. Highly recommended!

Excellent school - pushes the kids to high achievement levels with a rigorous curriculum. They are accountable through daily homework and this keeps them constantly learning and advancing.

My son has been at Memorial Lutheran since he was 17 months old and my child is now 3 1/2, and I have always felt very comfortable with the classroom teachers. They seem to really love the kids, and he has learned a lot that I know will help him when he begins kindergarten. Mary is a great leader and the headmaster Pastor Heine seems very warm and genuine. Have been absolutely thrilled with our experience here.

Memorial Lutheran School is a gem. My children were so prepared for high school. The curriculum improves each year with the classical instruction. Their mission is "Building a Strong Foundation" and that is most definitely the case. Dedicated faculty and caring family atmosphere.

My children have attended MLS for three years, and I cannot stress how pleased I am with the faculty, staff, and academic integrity of this school. The Classical curriculum and approach prepares the students for the complexities and challenges of our ever-more-challenging world. The students consistently do well in academic competitions and testing. The music program is exceptional. Certainly one of the best private schools in the Houston area.

Working Parents Beware! On it's surface this school appears to be ideal, it's reasonably priced, organized, the facility is great, awesome music room, etc. There are several days throughout the academic year when this school is closed, a few of which, if you pay an additional $35/ day you may still send your child for care while you work. However, there are several days when the school is closed completely, and this is not an option. I have seen no evidence of how the tuition is invested into the students. You pay for before and after care separately, lunch is a separate cost, supplies are a separate cost which includes parents buying the utensils, paper plates, paper towels for your child to eat with along with a laundry list of other items. Not to mention, they don't provide breakfast or snacks. You must pack and send daily. Your tuition is spent on maintaining the aesthetics of the school. They even found a way to turn Grandparents day into a revenue generating opportunity. All of this would be tolerable if my child was having an awesome academic experience. Not the case. The morning care teacher was rude, she would never acknowledge me when dropping off my child.

We love MLS! My kids are in 1st grade and Pre-K4. I find their curriculum very challenging. We moved our kids from a high-priced private christian school in Houston with very sub-standard academics. What a relief MLS is! Deftly money well-spent. First graders have an option to take Orchestra. They learn to play the violin including Choir. Music and Math are strongly emphasized in their curriculum. Saxon Math is taught at a grade above. Religion is also a strong emphasis. There are morning and afternoon assemblies with opening and closing prayers. Teachers say a short prayer before every parent/teacher conference. We could not be happier. Our kids are thriving in all areas - academically, spiritually, emotionally and psychologically. Teachers are very loving, warm and yet stern. They encourage discipline, personal responsibility and reward students accordingly. School publishes Student of the Week in the weekly newsletter to highlight top performers. My kids are always so motivated to win title. lol I could go on and on about this school. Memorial Lutheran School is by far one of the most under-priced GEMS in Houston. We drive an hour one-way to take our kids here.

This is a wonderful school! We have been apart of this school family for 2 years, and it has exceeded our expectations. The curriculum that they use has really prepared my child for the next grade level.

Last modified Memorial Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8