Houston, TX
Before care: Yes

Posted April 04, 2014
My son has been at Memorial Lutheran since he was 17 months old and my child is now 3 1/2, and I have always felt very comfortable with the classroom teachers. They seem to really love the kids, and he has learned a lot that I know will help him when he begins kindergarten. Mary is a great leader and the headmaster Pastor Heine seems very warm and genuine. Have been absolutely thrilled with our experience here.

Posted April 02, 2014
Memorial Lutheran School is a gem. My children were so prepared for high school. The curriculum improves each year with the classical instruction. Their mission is "Building a Strong Foundation" and that is most definitely the case. Dedicated faculty and caring family atmosphere.

Posted January 27, 2014
My children have attended MLS for three years, and I cannot stress how pleased I am with the faculty, staff, and academic integrity of this school. The Classical curriculum and approach prepares the students for the complexities and challenges of our ever-more-challenging world. The students consistently do well in academic competitions and testing. The music program is exceptional. Certainly one of the best private schools in the Houston area.

Memorial Lutheran School 1

Posted November 27, 2013
Working Parents Beware! On it's surface this school appears to be ideal, it's reasonably priced, organized, the facility is great, awesome music room, etc. There are several days throughout the academic year when this school is closed, a few of which, if you pay an additional $35/ day you may still send your child for care while you work. However, there are several days when the school is closed completely, and this is not an option. I have seen no evidence of how the tuition is invested into the students. You pay for before and after care separately, lunch is a separate cost, supplies are a separate cost which includes parents buying the utensils, paper plates, paper towels for your child to eat with along with a laundry list of other items. Not to mention, they don't provide breakfast or snacks. You must pack and send daily. Your tuition is spent on maintaining the aesthetics of the school. They even found a way to turn Grandparents day into a revenue generating opportunity. All of this would be tolerable if my child was having an awesome academic experience. Not the case. The morning care teacher was rude, she would never acknowledge me when dropping off my child.

Posted October 28, 2013
We love MLS! My kids are in 1st grade and Pre-K4. I find their curriculum very challenging. We moved our kids from a high-priced private christian school in Houston with very sub-standard academics. What a relief MLS is! Deftly money well-spent. First graders have an option to take Orchestra. They learn to play the violin including Choir. Music and Math are strongly emphasized in their curriculum. Saxon Math is taught at a grade above. Religion is also a strong emphasis. There are morning and afternoon assemblies with opening and closing prayers. Teachers say a short prayer before every parent/teacher conference. We could not be happier. Our kids are thriving in all areas - academically, spiritually, emotionally and psychologically. Teachers are very loving, warm and yet stern. They encourage discipline, personal responsibility and reward students accordingly. School publishes Student of the Week in the weekly newsletter to highlight top performers. My kids are always so motivated to win title. lol I could go on and on about this school. Memorial Lutheran School is by far one of the most under-priced GEMS in Houston. We drive an hour one-way to take our kids here.

Posted October 24, 2013
This is a wonderful school! We have been apart of this school family for 2 years, and it has exceeded our expectations. The curriculum that they use has really prepared my child for the next grade level.

Posted June 08, 2013
I've had two children at MLS since they were infants. I knew they were in good hands and am always so excited to hear what they have learned each day. The teachers in the baby wing do a great job communicating with parents daily. I appreciate that most staff and other students know my children by name and greet them with a hello or hugs each day. Mrs. Linn is wonderfully organized and taught my daughter all about the solar system at 2 years old--information she STILL retains! Miss Linda is a wonderful teacher who patiently potty trained my son and instilled in him a deep faith in Christ. I highly recommend Mrs Kunz for preschool. Her gentle nature, calm disposition, structure and discipline are a match made in heaven for this age group. PreK equally wonderful and Mrs. Clarissa has a genuine love of teaching and of the children. Kindergarten challenging, yet nurturing. Mrs. Bohot is patient, loving, and a master teacher. She helped develop a love of learning in my child who is now reading! I highly recommend this school!

Memorial Lutheran School 3

Posted April 03, 2013
I am a current student here and I think that it's a good school for early childhood. It's small, which is an advantage for kids at elementary school age. But when your child is in middle school I think that It is necessary to have at least 50kids in your grade. MLS has 8 children in the 7th grade. This would have been alright if all of these kids were nice, but some of them can be mean or annoying at times. The academics were good, not great. I feel they lack in open-mindedness. Especially in science. Some of their ideas on religion seemed forced upon me. Overall my experience was good, not great. I would highly recommend it for 5th grade and below.

Posted May 08, 2012
My daugther is completing her first year at MLS this year. She is a second grader that transfered from another Classical private school. We have been so happy with MLS and our 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Wilson. She is amazing in every way. I know that she cares for my daughter and our family. I can't imagine leaving her class to move on to 3rd grade. Seriously Mrs. Wilson is so awesome!!The academics at MLS are very challenging. The children are also expected to display respectful behavior towards themselves and others. We have been very happy at MLS. The Admissions director is very responsive. I do have one gripe which is rather small. The children are required to wear dress shoes everyday even when on the playground. I don't feel like flats or dress shoes offer enough support for my daughter when she is playing on the playground. The office has been open to my concerns so we will see what next year brings. If you are looking for a school that helps your child to develop academically and spiritually, MLS is a smart choice. We have already referred two other families to MLS. We believe in the school and the leaders that are in place. Feel free to email me if you have questions.

Posted November 16, 2011
This is a fantastic school! Teachers and staff are just wonderful! Small class size, academically rigorous, and caring and attentive teachers. Parent body is involved and active. I just can't say enough about this gem of a school!

Memorial Lutheran School
5800 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX  77057
Last modified Memorial Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Memorial Lutheran School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top