No rating

Redd School

Private | PK-8 | 234 students

We are best known for small classes & great teachers.

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $182,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Posted July 16, 2014

I SURE HOPE THAT PEOPLE READ THIS IN LOOKING FOR A SCHOOL...DO NOT TAKE THEM THERE. I had my son in preschool and pre-k at this school. He had behavioral issues and the teachers acted like they were working on them, asked for my input and did not implement any advice that I gave. Firstly, yes the student teacher ratio is small but they do have a teachers aide and with EPS and Pre-k almost every private school I visited has aides for the younger kids. the principle is horrible just because her summer school teacher did not get the production they wanted she felt it necessary to tell me that my kid was not of average intelligence. I was done with them and looking back they gave up on my child during pre-k. they hyper focused on him to the point where he was so concerned about behavior than learning. I got farther with him at home than they did. Yes the school is inviting but dont be fooled by the horses and pool. Even a child psychologist told me they are riding on their past reputation but would NEVER recommend this school to any parent. Plus the Pre-k teachers are not degreed EEC teachers or certified and one not even in college at all. They do not care about children.

Posted January 26, 2014

We moved my daughter to Redd this past September. It is amazing the difference we see in her. She still struggles with reading but her teacher takes the time to work with her to help her understand the material. We are kept up to date on any issues the teacher sees her struggling with and even get updates of subjects she is excelling in. My daughter used to get sick before going to school...almost daily. Now she can't wait to get up and off to school.

Posted December 12, 2013

I had a very short experience with the Redd School when my child was an infant. The "teachers" in the infant room were all very young, but they were nice and polite and seemed to genuinely care for the babies. However, the ratio of 5 infants to 1 teacher is much too high, and there was a revolving door of teachers. I never knew who would be with my child at drop off or pick up. My child would often come home with a diaper that had been put on haphazardly and soiled clothes were thrown into a bag without being rinsed. Empty bottles were not rinsed, either. The director was very impersonal and never once followed up with us on how things were going or how our child was progressing. When we changed to another daycare (albeit more expensive), the difference in quality of care and communication with parents was astounding.

Posted October 9, 2013

I moved my child from public school to Redd School and I have been over the top pleased. His teacher goes above and beyond to help him reach his highest goals. I only wish I would have know about this school when his siblings were younger. I have seen public school first hand and I continue to be impressed daily by Redd School.

Posted September 6, 2013

I use to work at this facility, I didn't expect much and that is what I got. As a teacher who worked there, the teachers barely got any funding for material, no supplies to help the kids creativity. Always had to work with the same resources that were given to us. I felt I put more money in, and getting nothing back. The staff turnover is horrible, plus I felt other staff members are not fit to work in the such a "private institute". The staff was always either on the phone, talking to other staff members, or having their backs turned away from the kids. As a parent I would rather put my kids in public school .The administrative was no help, asking them for help was like talking to one of the students. I am only writing a review because I feel this school has been such a horror ,and the families don't deserve to waste their money on what they think is higher education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 26, 2013

We, at Redd School, are surprised by the comments in this review. In fact, we have confidential, permanent records that disprove the alleged complaints. We pride ourselves in selecting knowledgeable, professional, compassionate and experienced educators who know how to meet the needs of each student. Our purpose is to take each child from their current level of performance to their maximum potential by providing a positive learning environment that fosters self-confidence and achievement. We always appreciate the opportunity to discuss and reflect upon concerns, as noted in our open-door policy. Educators and parents/guardians are partners and must work together as a team in order to serve each child well.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 10, 2013

My child has been attending Redd School since she was an infant. I have always been impressed with the level of education and care she is receiving. I always know what is going on in the classroom and am always notified if my child is feeling under the weather, etc. I feel as though the teachers are easy to talk to and I have had nothing but positive experiences with the main office. I love Redd School and would recommend them to family and friends.

Posted March 11, 2013

The toddler room was always dirty and unorganized. The school offered to work on behavior program for our child then failed to implement it properly on their end based on their suggestions. When we told them they were not doing the charts the way they had set it up, they asked us to find another school. Once we found another school, the teachers had the audacity to offer us advice on what kind of teachers/schools to look for, the ultimate hypocrisy. When we entered our child in the new school he was way behind the other students on curriculum and group behavior skills. There are other schools in the area that offer curriculum based on the local ISD systems and really prepares them for "real school" If I could give this school zero stars I would.

Posted February 3, 2012

My daughter just started at Redd and loves it. The principal, Ms. Ellen, has been wonderful & has put forth every effort to ensure that my daughter is well accepted. I love the fact that the teacher is able to challenge my daughter to her fullest potential (my daughter is an advanced 1st grader). The entire staff has been awesome - and has the open door policy that I like. It is a nurturing and lovey-dovey school. This works for us, although it may not work for everyone. After volunteering today, I can see how affectionate (i.e. hugs, high-5's, positive reinforcement) the staff is and how happy ALL of the kids seem to be. The parents that I have spoken with are all happy and wouldn't change a thing. With this being said, my husband and I want to keep our kids at Redd until middle school; I feel that Redd may be too small for middle school aged kids. Also, there are a lot of activities during the summer, which is awesome.

Posted January 31, 2012

This is our first year at Redd School. I'm kicking myself for not finding it sooner. My daughter is learning SOOOO much more than she did in the advanced classes in public school AND in a nurturing, stress-free environment. Thank you Miss Ellen! Thank you Miss Crow! Thank you Redd School!

Posted November 11, 2011

My daughter has been attending Redd School for two years now and is in the 1st grade. Redd School is not just an excellent learning environment for my daughter, with caring teachers and a fantastic campus; it is also a place where from students to teachers everyone knows her and she knows everyone. the sense of community that so often times these days is missing from public and priviate educational institutes thrives at redd school. She exhibits a love for learning that most kids lack. i attribute this to the care and education provided by the Redd School teachers and staff. talking to my child about her day is an adventure; from talks about reading buddies , to field trip where she gets to ride elephants, to talks about her witnessing a baby sheep be born...Redd School is and always will be an amazing and magical part of her childhood thank you Redd School for beeing part of our family

Posted November 4, 2011

my two children attend the pre-school and i've been very impressed with their experience. the teachers really care about them on a personal level and find creative ways to help them learn. the amount of time outside is wonderful and they enjoy seeing all of the animals at the school. it is so important that a school helps to instill a love of learning in children... and this one does.

Posted September 24, 2011

The teachers are really good and the principal, Ms. LeBlanc is involved in all aspects of the school. They all care about the kids. My kids are learning so much and loving school. They have some new programs that are making their level of educational expectations higher and higher. . . . all the while, making sure all the kids are getting what they need. It's great! My whole family is so happy.

Posted September 13, 2011

For three and a half years my child has attended the Redd School. It has made a world of difference in setting the foundation for her academic future. From the principal, teachers, and summer camp counselors, I have not been disappointed in their abilities or interactions with my daughter. They take a personalized approach in every activity they provide. I love the methods of learning used, from hands on science to field trips and guest speakers. I am grateful for the lessons that have been instilled in my daughter and the potential they have already helped to exacerbate in her. I look forward to her growing future with the Redd school.

Posted August 26, 2010

This school gives kids chances to be themselves. They have the chance to interact with animals daily. They learn respect, something that has long ago exited our public schools. Every teacher worked as hard as they could to make sure my kids learned. Denna Baskin cares about what happens to the kids. People say kids can't handle real high school after leaving Redd School but mine had no trouble.

Posted August 13, 2010

My child was a student at Redd School for a number of years. At first it was great. The small classes and caring teachers appealed to us, and helped her gain confidence. However, by the last year we were there, we were less pleased with the teachers (especially science). When we took our concerns to the administration, they were hostile and unhelpful. When we made the decision to not return the next year, they became downright petty and mean spirited. I would strongly advise others to think twice before enrolling in this school. They are not the kind, loving people they try to appear to be at first.

Posted August 8, 2010

My kids are currently enrolled @ Redd. As with any school - the teachers can be spotty. We've had excellent teachers and so-so teachers. We have had some issues there and the admin has been very open to working for resolution. I would like to see the school more open to parent involvement.

Posted May 8, 2010

I sent my children to the Klein ISD schools. The main focus of the public school was, TAKS, TAKS we need *another* new playground fundraising program etc. That mentality grew very old with me. Redd School is more involved with teaching the children and working *one on one* with the child to assure the child is learning in a nuturing and positive environment. They are blessed to have *the best* teachers I have ever known, especially the Science teacher, Mrs. Lali. They do help children with special needs, where as the public schools need you to fill out 7 forms, go to ARDS to protect themselves and their school district. My final straw to leave the Public School System is when the Science teacher at my daughters Middle School decided to use the whole perioud to tell *Yo Mama* jokes instead of teach.

Posted May 4, 2010

Well, as a student of Redd School at the moment, I feel it is my duty and obligation to report in my two cents about this school. Not to mention it has recently been bought, so things should improve somewhat. Principal Leadership: Well, the principle isn't the worst I have have seen, but she is not the best. Same can go for the vice p. For me, it can vary, from average,good, and bad. As a student, I usually don't see what they usually are up to, but it has been a decent ride thus far. Teacher Quality: Once again, it is varied. After looking through the reviews here, the teachers I see are of good heart, and will help any child in need, provided that they are obedient and turn in their stuff that is required. (which by the way, if not, then call the school regularly) (Part 1 of this review)
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 16, 2009

Redd School has been an awesome experience both academically and in the fact that my child now loves learning. Having a 'gifted' child does not mean that they are always challenged, but Redd has challenged and encouraged my child way beyond my initial expectations. All I can say is 'WOW!'

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Students have won competitions in Robotics, Historical Essay Contests, Spelling Bees, and video production.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Denna Baskin
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Dance
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper