K-12 & Ungraded
Houston, TX
After care: No

Avondale House 1

Posted January 16, 2015
Avondale House has a beautiful well kept campus. However some of the staff are extremely unprofessional and rude. While on a tour of the campus I observed a young girl screaming, and yelling frantically and a staff member pulling her across the room. There were staff members wandering in the halls on their cell phones complaining about how they hate their job. While passing the library I observed the behavior support specialist slandering and gossiping about the principal, teachers and staff while in earshot of the students. I understand that working with individuals with special needs is challenging however there is a more professional way to deal with stressful situations than slandering your co-workers.I also observed teachers and teaching assistants administering medication to students which in the hands of the wrong person can led to over-medicating the students.This school looks great on paper and has a beautiful campus however there needs to be more professional development training for the staff.
3 people found this helpful

Avondale House 5

Posted October 02, 2006
There is just not enough good words to describe what avondale house has done for my son. He is learning so much more than he did in his public school. The teachers and staff really seem to have genuine concern for their students and their education. This school is a god send. I cannot imagine what my son's education and self esteem would be like without this school. They are awesome!

Avondale House 5

Posted February 21, 2006
Avondale House is the best thing that has happened to my grandson. All his school district wanted to do was suspend him, or send him to ABC or Apollo and that was not for him. My grandchild would not have known what he was being suspended for and ABC or Apollo are not for students like my grandson. When he went to middle school it was suggested that we look into Avondale House. We had never heard of Avondale House. No one in the school district had told us there was another school we could take him to. The teachers are great and they really care about the students. My grandson is now learning. At his school district they could not teach him and most of the time did not even try. I highly recommed Avondale House to anyone with a child that is Autistic or has Autistic like symptons.

Avondale House