Houston, TX

Posted August 08, 2014
We moved our oldest son over a year ago and are very pleased with the school. We decided to move our younger elementary age son over this year. Public schools in our area, for the most part, are pretty good. No school is going to be perfect; but, we have really enjoyed the transition over to LSA. We personally prefer the smaller school and Christian environment LSA offers.

Posted June 16, 2014
Lutheran South Academy is a blessing to our family and to this community. Not only are they offering top-notch academics in a Christian environment but they also offer incredible opportunity for children to be involved and be well-rounded. I cannot say enough good things about this place and the dedicated people that work there. I've noticed that some reviews complain about the fact that the school supports its athletic programs and wants them to be successful. Thank God that they do!!! No kids want to be attending the high school that is known for losing. LSA had an amazing year this year with almost every single team making the playoffs. Both basketball teams made it to the state final four and the girls golf team won the state championship! With that said, the school definitely promotes high academic standards above all else and supports the fine arts as well. The band, choir and the drama department all had an amazing year too! As a parent of 3 children - I could not be more proud of what this school is. I would highly recommend LSA to any family that is looking for a Christian education that focuses on excellence in everything that they take on.

Posted June 10, 2014
my child has been at LSA for the past two years and I will be enrolling my other child to attend this fall. I cannot begin to tell you what this school community means to my family and the amount of time, love and energy poured out by the entire staff. When choosing a school it is important to spend time with the admin and faculty to make sure it is a good fit. As I read some of the other comments I am discouraged at those who use this site to lash out for personal vendettas, especially those who attack the Christian aspect. This is a Christian school focused on teaching the love of Christ while taking care of the whole student" (body, mind and spirit). This may not be for everyone but it is sad that some try to belittle and reduce a Christian school for teaching about God s Love. Those who are serious about a great education, in a safe environment from teachers who really love their profession, you should come visit. After being in public schools and now at LSA I could not be happier. As for the academic aspect, all you have to do is look at their national test scores and where graduates are attending and you will see that LSA stands above local public & private schools

Lutheran South Academy 3

Posted May 21, 2014
I enrolled my child in the pre-k 3 program. I had originally thought that she would be graduating from the school she attending - how wonderful to attend 1 school for your entire career. Turns out we are looking for another school and seriously doubt she will be attending high school here. Here is what is emerging.... 1. Elementary classes with 25 students. Ratios are lower in most public schools 2. High emphasis on high school athletics to the detriment of other needed programs....auditorium/ chapel, classroom space, additional teachers 3. High schoolers are spinning tires in parking lots and street next to school with little kids around 4. They stopped publishing where graduates are attending college. Many are going to junior colleges or Lutheran associatedschools. 5. Not all teachers are accredited teachers. 6. They are planning on admitting more students, but not hiring additional teachers. These are just some of the trends that are emerging, in my eyes . Hope this is helpful.

Posted April 14, 2014
We have been at Lutheran South for many years. While every school has its pros and cons, we are now of the opinion that the negatives outweigh the benefits... particularly at the high school level. Athletics are given a disproportionate amount of time, effort and preference. (School was even canceled when the basketball team went to state.) The academics simply are not challenging. We are not convinced that our child will be competitive in their college applications. While a handful of students do end up in superb colleges, this is not true for the majority. For the amount of money spent, this is a tragedy.

Posted April 03, 2014
As others have said previously, this school provides a loving, Christ-centered atmosphere for our children to feel safe. That said, however, their hiring practices and new teacher placement has really caused some lower school kids to suffer. There is not a logical flow to the curriculum, and there is no tool for proving that their student learning outcomes have been met. There is virtually no scholastic communication between the subsequent grade levels. My youngest was the unfortunate recipient of poor judgement in faculty selection, and cannot catch up. To my knowledge, there was no mentor available to her or any specific expectations as far as detailed lesson plans. Speaking to her aid, I became painfully aware that this young lady had no idea what she was doing. Sadly, it seems she was thrown out there with no support. Simply said, The "freedom" that is given to this private institution to develop and modify curriulum needs to be removed. I am at the point where I am considering pulling all three of mine out, because I just cannot count on consistent instruction from year to year. My next move is to try to get something accomplished with the PTO.....here's hoping.

Posted November 10, 2013
I'm a senior in High School this year. I don't know why the last few posts were bitter-probably written by the same person- but all I can say is that I've really enjoyed my time at LSA. I've been here since 4th grade and the elementary school was distinguished. The teachers really knew what they were doing and gave me a strong base and confidence to keep my grades up. When we transition into MS, in 6th grade they gave us organizing tips, planners, and really pushed you harder to keep our grades up. It really helped cultivate a strong work ethic. Also they have exploritories, which are basically fun activities you sign up for and play every Friday which helps keep your character and competitive drive. High School I took challenging classes and some of my favorites were debate and bio(one of the Baackes-not sure which was in Mensa). Field days, Football games, Homecoming, and house parties were all part of my high school life. The people here are all really different, you've got a lot of rich kids but they all have different personalities. A lot of people in my grade are into law, fashion, engineering, and journalism. Overall a prestigious private school, with intelligent, nice kids.

Lutheran South Academy 1

Posted October 09, 2013
Others should know: Your children will have been more prepared for college having gone to public schools. Particularly if you are in Clearlake, Pearland, or Friendswood. If you are in Pasadena, this is debatable. This school gets consistently less diverse over time. In the nineties, it was about 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and 1/3 hispanic. Now, many kids feel uncomfortable there due to the lack of diversity in comparison with the wider Houston metro and their own neighborhoods. Again, public schools are a good solution to this. On a national level, private schools students underperform compared to public schools students after adjusting for household income, among other variables. Be smart with your money. What did I like: Not much. The school does not appreciate people who think differently. It doesn't like diversity of religious views, and especially political views. The political agenda of this school is pushed very strongly on the students. How could this school improve: Hiring better teachers, doing better college counseling, focusing on academics instead of ONLY Jesus, being more inclusive, having stricter discipline measures--everyone cheats, so there is a culture of laziness.

Lutheran South Academy 1

Posted October 06, 2013
I'm a student at LSA and have been for 12 years. Being a Senior now, all I've wanted in the last 12 years is to move schools. Unless you are exactly like other students in the school and believe how everyone else believes, you will never fit in. While most people will talk about how everything is done together at the school, that's untrue unless you're part of the select few. While reading these reviews, I laugh at how obvious it is that my school adminitration has written almost all of them. All the school cares about is football, football, football and unless you have something to do with football, they don't waste their time or money on you. While hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent to better improve the athletic department, we are still left with a leaky roof, an inadequate cafeteria, no practice or performance room for programs such as drama, band, or dance, and out of date computers and operating systems. Unless you want to spend 16K for your children to be ridiculed and pushed to the side, I wouldn't waste your time or your money on this school.I, personally, can't wait to leave.

Posted July 20, 2013
LSA is a disappointment. This school is all about appeasing parents that make huge donations to the school. The administration rather turn a blind eye to problems than to address it because it is the easier thing to do. As parents, we pay a lot of money for our kids to go to LSA. It is sad that they allow bullying to continue at that school because it is easier for them to sweep it under the carpet than to address it.

Lutheran South Academy
12555 Ryewater Drive, Houston, TX  77089
Last modified Lutheran South Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Lutheran South Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top