PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

My four kids either finish their homework during study hall (upper school) or finish it in the car.

I recently transferred four of my children to what's now called Covenant Preparatory School from public school. They were A students before and are A students now; although, now they work harder to get the grades. I have yet to meet a teacher or staff member I do not like. My third grader is learning what my other kids learned in middle school. The teachers manage to teach all the regular subjects as well as Latin, Bible, music, and art. The first three weeks were an adjustment with the extra homework, since my third grader was trying to catch up with the rest of the class. They offer tutoring in the afternoons at no cost. In the upper school, grades 7-12, they offer tutoring both in the morning and in the afternoon. All my kids went to tutoring for a while. Some still do. The teachers really work hard so the kids master the subject matter and retain the material. I haven't gotten the impression that the teachers are unhappy. They seem enthusiast to me. I will say that the lesson plans and homework are posted online, and I guess that may be extra work for the teachers, but as a parent, it's really helpful. The kids write their assignments in planners, but it's nice to print out the homework sheet ahead of time to keep on top of things. If the teacher changes the lesson plans, they have sent out emails notifying the parents they made changes online. After school, for a fee, the lower school offers enrichment activities like drama or cheerleading. One of my daughters is going to be in the lower school play. There are also several sports offered, including golf, tennis, track, cross country, and basketball. They are making plans to add soccer. The coaches are great, AND they can TEACH well too. If you call the school, you can set up an informational meeting and tour. Your child can also shadow another student for the day. One of my children did this. You can get information about SAT scores and scholarship offers for graduating students, etc. I can't comment on the food in the cafeteria as my children bring their own lunches. However, in the upper school, on Wednesdays you can pay around $5 for a meal to be brought to your student at lunch, such as Jason's Deli or Chick-Fil-A. My kids love that. All the parents and students have been friendly to us. I worried about snobs, honestly, and I haven't come across a single one. Great school all around.

This school was a wonderful fit for our family at the beginning, however as our kids got older and with the recent changes it no longer was the school we loved and adored. I agree with the other feedback that it is a great fit for some, but you must fit a certain mold and if you don't it then you or your child will struggle. The issues with bullying and the administration's lack of action was also concerning. Choosing to ignore those that bully, because their parents write bigger checks. As the school is attempting to grow they are sadly losing touch with why many chose the school in the first place. Newer teachers struggle and have no support and many fall in the public school mindset. The new leadership at the lower school was poor to say the least and the turnover in the middle elementary grades was high after this year. Research it closely and talk to those who have left. Not those that "walk the line' and are still there.

NCA is a tremendous school, and my wife and I are continually impressed with the quality of instruction and leadership our children receive. We have been a part of the school for nearly ten years, and are very pleased. We are confident they will be well prepared for college and life as well. It is a very challenging, Christ-centered environment for which we are truly grateful to be a part of.

This school is fine for some kids, but the kids must fit the NCA (now called Covenant) mold. It is not a good school for kids who are very creative, highly gifted, or have any learning differences. There is also a problem with bullying in some grade levels. The administration is disconnected from what is actually going on with its students (even though they profess to know). And while the teachers strive to teach an advanced curriculum, they fail to provide in-class enrichment when clearly needed by some students. There is no willingness to provide any accommodations for students at all; there is a strong culture of conformity and rigidity. If your child loves sports and likes a conformist, rigid environment, then you may have luck here. If not, save yourself the time, money, and stress and send your child somewhere else.

We have been impressed with the quality of the administration and staff. Kids are challenged academically and taught from a meta-narrative that leads them to wisdom and truth instead of just giving them facts and figures. The school actively tries to instill a wonder and love for learning. They are taught to be great thinkers in the classical Christian tradition so they can be life long learners. The new campus next year for high school is fantastic and will really lend itself to the Socratic method the school utilizes. The culture is loving and behavioral issues are handled by applying biblical truth. NCA is serious about developing Christian minds in its students that have a full grasp of and love for the true, the good and the beautiful.

Northeast Christian has many excellent, dedicated faculty in the Upper School and an excellent Head of School. The instructors are qualified in their fields and actually like to teach. The classical education NCA offers is very good. The Kingwood market desperately needs an elite, classical college prep school and NCA, under current leadership, has done a good job of fitting that bill. However, if this school ever hopes to be considered an elite school, it must break with the old ways of doing things. It must enforce rules of conduct and punish those who break the rules. It must allow high-achievers to separate themselves from the rest of the class and not be dragged down by students who would rather disrupt than learn. And, finally, it must turn those students away who either cannot handle the academic rigor or who refuse to conform to the school's standards. The new location and plans for the new facility will be a big improvement for future classes. All in all, this is an excellent alternative to the huge, impersonal and overcrowded public schools in the area. If you don't want to expose yoru child to the public school, this is a good place to turn.

As a former teacher and current parent, I could not be more pleased with the improvements I have seen at NCA over the past several years. My children have received a truly excellent education. They are challenged intellectually and academically, and they have been taught the importance of honoring God in all they do. I am most impressed with the quality and commitment of the teaching faculty. The engage the students and invest in their lives. Certainly the facilities are dated and need improvement; however, I believe the leadership is working to address this and possibly purchase land to move the campus.

Horrible place to teach and the parents run the school, not the administration. It's a customer service business, not a school. The building is old, run down and moldy. The classrooms are tiny, suffocating and most the time the AH or heater doesn't work. I don't understand how the place is even still around. I wish I could rank it zero stars.

I have been associated with NCA for years as my nephews have attended for their entire school careers (with one graduating this year). Regarding SAT and placement scores, my nephew scored perfectly on the Math portion of the SAT and has been offered over $300,000 in scholarships from various universities across the country. The academics are certainly something to be proud of. As a certified teacher who has taught in, and been an advocate for, public schools, I feel I have a strong basis for comparison. I recently took some time off from teaching full-time to be with my own family more and have taken the opportunity to substitute at NCA. I have consistently been nothing but impressed with the staff, the students, and the parents at NCA. It is truly a breath of fresh air when you walk into their building on a school day.

Last modified Northeast Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12