School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for looking at Rainard. It is our belief that some of the reviews here do not accurately reflect our school. It appears that families who are unhappy, and especially if they were expelled or withdrew in lieu of expulsion, may be using multiple reviews in this comment area as an opportunity to vent their frustration at the unfortunate nature of their situation. We deeply regret a family leaving our school in this way. It is an unhappy decision, particularly as we consider the potential implications for the student who must leave. However, these decisions are approached with consideration for the school experience of all of our students. Rainard has improved consistently and significantly in the past several years - each year has been an improvement over the last. To the extent that a problem with the school is legitimate or appears legitimate we welcome and address such feedback from our community. Our school meets the educational, social, and emotional needs of gifted students. We do so each and every day on our campus. It is a happy and productive place of learning and we invite you to come and visit us. We invite you to learn more about our school and program at www.rainard.org.
March 6, 2015

Rainard School 4

Posted March 18, 2015
After much research, we looked into Rainard for our child, and we couldn't be more pleased. Coming from another private school where my child was stagnating academically, being here has been like a breath of fresh air. My child is learning without being limited by traditional grade level and age boundaries - and around a gifted peer group as well. The small size and low ratio of pupils to instructors ensure students receive a lot of attention. I have to "dock" a star because the facilities could use updating and because there has been some turnover during our years here. The school is a non-profit that doesn't have many resources, but truthfully, the spartan portable buildings are not ideal. They do a good job of sprucing them up, though, and making them cheery and attractive on the inside. Regarding turnover, the school is transparent about changes. I can attest that most core teachers have been with Rainard for years, but there have been some changes with some teachers and also clerical and administration changes too. I don't like that, but the school has quickly found competent replacements. I hope we've seen the last of changes, but thus far things have been good.
12 people found this helpful

Posted March 09, 2015
Many of the negative reviews here have nothing to do with "not being invited back." Most of the negative parent reviews are made by parents who were *begged* to return and chose not to because of the horrific conditions for the students. There was no begging the Board could offer to make us change our mind and return. Interestingly, our children were behind in several core subjects when they returned to a "regular" classroom. That speaks for itself. The teaching just isn't happening at Rainard.
34 people found this helpful

Posted March 08, 2015
The school turnover rate speaks for itself. Ask how many teachers return each year (for the history of the school), how many leave each year (get specifics for each year), how many students return each year, how many leave each year (I would guess it's about 50%),etc. then you can make an informed decision.
18 people found this helpful

Posted March 01, 2015
I am not the parent of a child who was 'not invited' back by the school. I am a parent of a child who was not thriving due to having to try to learn in an environment in which disruptive behaviors by children with 'poor social skills' (I quote one of my child's teachers here) are not only tolerated, but excused. Bullying is also tolerated and excused. Although in our experience bullies are not invited back for the following school year, a bullied child has to suffer for the entire current year without relief, as ours did. And, as others have reported in previous reviews, an additional significant problem is that administration of the school has been taken over by the Chairman of the Board, whose lack of experience in school administration had increased the dysfunction of the school to the point where I can no longer recommend it to others. The place is a mess - a school in which socially 'normal' children have to put up with loud, misbehaving children in the classroom; a school where gifted students are not able to thrive. If you are looking to place your child at Rainard, I highly recommend you look elsewhere.
10 people found this helpful

Posted February 26, 2015
I had to withdraw my child from the school because of bullying. The administration made no attempt to stop the bullying and the teacher excused the behavior, stating to me that 'she doesn't know that she is being mean, she just has no social skills.' I read the negative reviews here only after I removed my child from the school. I wish I had found this site earlier, because the negative reviews are all correct and I would have saved my child a significant amount of pain by enrolling her elsewhere. I agree with previous reviewers - and can vouch, from our personal experience at this school - that this is a terrible place not only for gifted children, but for ANY child.
44 people found this helpful

Posted February 22, 2015
I moved my kids to Rainard last year from another good local private school. One had been unhappy in a school that simply wasn t a good fit and my other child was happy socially but tuning out academically. Both of my kids absolutely loved Rainard from their first day and my husband and I enjoy the community. The teachers inspire and love our kids. The other kids are enthusiastic, intense, quirky and creative. Their education is more exciting, deeper, interdisciplinary and project-based Our head of school, along with our wonderful teachers, have done a wonderful job of removing discipline problems, restoring school traditions and strengthening community. If your child is gifted come visit and see why we are so happy and pleased with the education our kids are experiencing
11 people found this helpful

Posted February 21, 2015
The written philosophy of Rainard and what it could offer are amazing and what was created by the founder many years ago is exactly what helps students thrive. Unfortunately, political problems, an over-involved board comprised solely of parents, and deep pockets making all big decisions in spite of very little to no knowledge of educational philosophy, Rainard just continues to struggle and repeat the same history of a disastrous attempt to be a school. A small group of happy parents get exactly what they want for their own children, run the school, and everything else falls apart. The reviews here bring to light the unrest that has plagued this school for well over 20 years, since it's founding. It's unsettling to know that it just keeps continuing, causing unbelievably high turnover in students, teachers, and staff. If you think Rainard is the right choice for your family, be sure to dig deeper and know exactly what you are getting into. Your child only gets one school experience, and the stakes are far too high to take a chance that these reviews are the only thing wrong at this school.
36 people found this helpful

Posted February 20, 2015
I have been a long-time student at Rainard. At first it was a very good learning experience for me and I highly recommended it. I can no longer recommend this school due to the significant changes in administration which has resulted in an unfriendly learning environment and deteriorated level of teaching.
43 people found this helpful

Posted February 18, 2015
I found Rainard by chance. It is a small, little-known school that isn't fancy and doesn't have a huge budget, but it focuses entirely on teaching gifted students. Because of their small class sizes, the faculty gets to know the students individually which means more tailored learning and a better education. At Rainard, they allow for individualism while still expecting students to adhere to basic principles of citizenship (e.g. being responsible for their actions, being accountable, volunteering), thereby creating students we can be proud of. I am thrilled to have found such a wonderful opportunity for my child's education and will not hesitate to continue to send my child to Rainard.
10 people found this helpful

Posted February 17, 2015
Excellent school. Small Classes. Great Teachers. Nice campus - the portable classroom buildings are not perfect, but they work. Welcoming place. Diverse student and family population. Good value. This is a good school for gifted students.
6 people found this helpful