School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for looking at Rainard. It is our belief that some of the reviews here do not accurately reflect our school. It appears that families who are unhappy, and especially if they were expelled or withdrew in lieu of expulsion, may be using multiple reviews in this comment area as an opportunity to vent their frustration at the unfortunate nature of their situation. We deeply regret a family leaving our school in this way. It is an unhappy decision, particularly as we consider the potential implications for the student who must leave. However, these decisions are approached with consideration for the school experience of all of our students. Rainard has improved consistently and significantly in the past several years - each year has been an improvement over the last. To the extent that a problem with the school is legitimate or appears legitimate we welcome and address such feedback from our community. Our school meets the educational, social, and emotional needs of gifted students. We do so each and every day on our campus. It is a happy and productive place of learning and we invite you to come and visit us. We invite you to learn more about our school and program at www.rainard.org.
March 06, 2015

Rainard School 2

Posted June 11, 2015
The School Official Point of View should be your first red flag when looking at Rainard. We read the reviews before we attended and were told that the reviews were from students who were not asked to come back. So, we fell for the company line and believed the other reviews to be false. We found out the hard way that where there is smoke, there is fire. The good reviews are here because they continually remind parents at meetings to go to Great Schools and post good reviews. I would urge you to speak to parents who are NON BOARD MEMBERS before enrolling. See how different their experience is. Take the negative reviews seriously, because we ignored them then now can completely relate to some of their points. The reality is that we wanted to believe the negative reviews were false because we wanted our child in a place that was perfect for him. Take the emotion out of the decision out and look at what the school actually is, not what you want it to be. $15,000+ later we know we should have taken the negative reviews seriously.

Rainard School 4

Posted May 27, 2015
My kids love going to Rainard. They love school and mostly is because the experience they have had here has been amazing.

Rainard School 5

Posted May 23, 2015
Rainard has been an amazing experience for our daughter and us over the past two years. We had a high-ability, high-achieving child on our hands and the right school selection was crucial. We wanted a school which will nurture her intellectual ability and not prune it down within the confines of an artificial age limited curriculum. Rainard has given us that. We wanted a school which will meet her academic needs while grouping her with her age peers. She found that peer group at Rainard. We wanted a school with a small class size with individualized teacher attention. Rainard's class size of 12 provides that luxury. We wanted a school where the teachers were trained and experienced in gifted education and could academically, emotionally and socially nurture gifted kids. We found that group of enthusiastic, capable and caring teachers at Rainard. We wanted a school which encouraged independent thinking and an inquisitive mind. Rainard's encouragement for analytic thinking and supplementation with project based learning and educational and fun field trips provides that. Parents have opportunity for daily interaction with teachers both at drop off and pick up. Core subject education is very well complemented by foreign language ( French or Spanish), music, art and physical education. Many after school enrichment classes are offered. The PTA is very active and involved. The school administration has been responsive and made many positive changes. This academic year has been even better than last year. Rainard does not have the lavish building facilities of a well funded public school or a well endowed private school. But the school has retained a natural environment with many mature trees and plants and its a pleasure to see the children laughing and freely playing under a canopy of lush green trees. Due to its small total student body, Rainard cannot provide the experience for team sports. But many students are involved in active individual and team sports outside the environment of the school. Our daughter has made excellent academic progress with an advanced curriculum and grown emotionally and socially at the same time with similar age peers. It's gratifying to see the smile on her face when she says she loves everything about her school. We highly recommend Rainard as an excellent school for gifted education and believe it's an oasis for gifted kids.

Rainard School 4

Posted March 18, 2015
After much research, we looked into Rainard for our child, and we couldn't be more pleased. Coming from another private school where my child was stagnating academically, being here has been like a breath of fresh air. My child is learning without being limited by traditional grade level and age boundaries - and around a gifted peer group as well. The small size and low ratio of pupils to instructors ensure students receive a lot of attention. I have to "dock" a star because the facilities could use updating and because there has been some turnover during our years here. The school is a non-profit that doesn't have many resources, but truthfully, the spartan portable buildings are not ideal. They do a good job of sprucing them up, though, and making them cheery and attractive on the inside. Regarding turnover, the school is transparent about changes. I can attest that most core teachers have been with Rainard for years, but there have been some changes with some teachers and also clerical and administration changes too. I don't like that, but the school has quickly found competent replacements. I hope we've seen the last of changes, but thus far things have been good.

Posted March 09, 2015
Many of the negative reviews here have nothing to do with "not being invited back." Most of the negative parent reviews are made by parents who were *begged* to return and chose not to because of the horrific conditions for the students. There was no begging the Board could offer to make us change our mind and return. Interestingly, our children were behind in several core subjects when they returned to a "regular" classroom. That speaks for itself. The teaching just isn't happening at Rainard.

Posted March 08, 2015
The school turnover rate speaks for itself. Ask how many teachers return each year (for the history of the school), how many leave each year (get specifics for each year), how many students return each year, how many leave each year (I would guess it's about 50%),etc. then you can make an informed decision.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 06, 2015

Posted March 01, 2015
I am not the parent of a child who was 'not invited' back by the school. I am a parent of a child who was not thriving due to having to try to learn in an environment in which disruptive behaviors by children with 'poor social skills' (I quote one of my child's teachers here) are not only tolerated, but excused. Bullying is also tolerated and excused. Although in our experience bullies are not invited back for the following school year, a bullied child has to suffer for the entire current year without relief, as ours did. And, as others have reported in previous reviews, an additional significant problem is that administration of the school has been taken over by the Chairman of the Board, whose lack of experience in school administration had increased the dysfunction of the school to the point where I can no longer recommend it to others. The place is a mess - a school in which socially 'normal' children have to put up with loud, misbehaving children in the classroom; a school where gifted students are not able to thrive. If you are looking to place your child at Rainard, I highly recommend you look elsewhere.

Posted February 26, 2015
I had to withdraw my child from the school because of bullying. The administration made no attempt to stop the bullying and the teacher excused the behavior, stating to me that 'she doesn't know that she is being mean, she just has no social skills.' I read the negative reviews here only after I removed my child from the school. I wish I had found this site earlier, because the negative reviews are all correct and I would have saved my child a significant amount of pain by enrolling her elsewhere. I agree with previous reviewers - and can vouch, from our personal experience at this school - that this is a terrible place not only for gifted children, but for ANY child.

Rainard School 5

Posted February 22, 2015
I moved my kids to Rainard last year from another good local private school. One had been unhappy in a school that simply wasn t a good fit and my other child was happy socially but tuning out academically. Both of my kids absolutely loved Rainard from their first day and my husband and I enjoy the community. The teachers inspire and love our kids. The other kids are enthusiastic, intense, quirky and creative. Their education is more exciting, deeper, interdisciplinary and project-based Our head of school, along with our wonderful teachers, have done a wonderful job of removing discipline problems, restoring school traditions and strengthening community. If your child is gifted come visit and see why we are so happy and pleased with the education our kids are experiencing

Rainard School