K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for considering Rainard! Last year, we celebrated 30 years of gifted education. Our core mission endures—to provide an exceptional education for the needs and abilities of gifted students. Since the Fall of 1986 and every day since we have strived to provide challenging and creative education to gifted minds and to inspire joy in learning. Over the last four years, we have worked hard to build a continuous improvement culture to refining curriculum, tailoring our offerings to students, and incorporating best practices from ongoing research of gifted education. This effort includes listening to the candid feedback in online reviews—positive and negative—as it allows us to build upon our strengths and to address areas of weakness. Our school is truly unique, as are our students. Visit us and see for yourself. – Tara Tomicic, Ph.D., Head of School since 2014, Board Member since 2012.
May 03, 2017

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted May 03, 2017

My two boys went to Rainard when we lived in Houston and they loved it. We were so sad to leave the school when we moved... To date, my kids continue to name Rainard as their favorite school, and when I ask who are their favorite teachers, they still name Rainard teachers. Overall, the school provided academic challenges for my boys in subjects they excelled in, it supported them in subjects they struggled in, and most importantly, it provided my boys a safe place to be themselves and to make like-minded friends. While no school is perfect, Rainard came closer than any other school we've encountered. I wish "Rainards" existed in all the places we lived!

A board member asked me to write this review and I was happy to do it! My child started to shut down at his old school but has really found a place here! I think the teachers are great and while most don’t have traditional teaching backgrounds they really care about the kids. I agree with some of the negative reviews below about poor communication. But the teachers are always available to talk, and I can check up on my kid at pick up and drop off. Rainard also has a lot of fun field trips and class projects. I would give Rainard 5 stars, but there’s always room for improvement. I kind of wish that the school could recruit more kids. I like the small class sizes but it means fewer friends for my son and families to participate in volunteering and fundraising. With the requests for money all year long it seems like the school is struggling.

Develops character: Agree

They have a counselor who comes in sometimes to work with the students on this.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

The schedule can seem chaotic with last minute changes but the school is also very flexible when we need to miss class.

Supports LD students: Agree

There are a lot of different kinds of students with learning disabilities here so there’s no stigma. Wish they had more special ed support staff.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

My child has not experienced bullying in his class.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers are always available to talk and care about the students.

Amount of homework: Agree

There's very little homework so kids can be kids.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The school has no ethos or code of conduct. Children who are disruptive in class are not disciplined.

Last modified Rainard School is a Private school that serves grades K-12