No rating

Beth Yeshurun Day School

Private | PK-5

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $251,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted June 12, 2014

I have lived all over the U.S., and I have never seen a tight-knit and loving community like this one. It's large enough to provide a tremendous variety of opportunities (after-school activities, specialist classes, and so on) but small enough to be intimate. Every teacher knows my children's names. Most of the students know one another across grades. The parents and teachers love the children like they're their own. If it really does take a village to raise a child, this is the ultimate village that combines academic opportunity with an intense love and caring for all people. We've been through amazing times and terrible tragedies as a community, and they've forged a deep and intense bond. I'm so happy that my family is here.

Posted June 12, 2014

In the 10 years that I have been a parent at BYDS I have been confident that I made the right choice for my children. As the years have gone by the academics, administration, facility and community have improved significantly. I strongly recommend BYDS for anyone seeking a Jewish Day School experience in Houston, TX that combines high quality general and Judaic studies from early childhood through 5th grade.

Posted June 11, 2014

Our two children have had exceptional experiences each year at Beth Yeshurun Day School, but this one was clearly special. Our first grader greatly improved as a reader and writer and made significant progress in her math. She truly enjoys her Hebrew and Judaic studies classes and has expanded her love for Jewish traditions. She looks forward to seeing her friends each day at school and I suspect many of these relationships will last a lifetime. Likewise, our preschooler is growing more independent and is developing the social skills that will prove beneficial throughout life. She established many wonderful friendships this year and is developing a solid foundation in Judaism. To us, BYDS is more than a school; it is a community where students, faculty, and families learn together, pray together, and play together. We celebrate each other s milestones and accomplishments and provide support in times of need. We could not be more pleased with our BYDS experiences and recognize the strong impact that the school is having on our children s young lives. Thank you to all the wonderful educators and the administration team at our exceptional school.

Posted June 11, 2014

We choose Beth Yeshurun Day School because we wanted our young children to obtain a strong foundation in Jewish life. We could not be more pleased. Beth Yeshurun helps establish an early Jewish identity through familiarity with songs and prayers; teachings and observances of Shabbat, holidays, and traditions; and ongoing interaction with synagogue Rabbis and other religious professionals. Though aligned with Conservative Judaism, the school is very respectful and welcoming to all levels of observance. In fact, many non-Jewish families feel at home and find comfort in the nurturing environment and appreciate the strong moral and ethical code that the school adheres to. Beth Yeshurun prepares its students to live as committed, knowledgeable, and caring individuals. From the Mensch of the Day program to weekly Tzadakah projects, it provides so many opportunities to instill strong moral values in the children.

Posted June 11, 2014

I cannot say enough great things about Beth Yeshurun Day School. Our older child has been there six years, our younger child two years, and each year has been amazing in its own way. Their teachers have all been warm, loving, and engaging, our children have made wonderful friends, they are thriving and happy, and we've been very pleased with the challenging curriculum. And the parents and volunteers are a wonderful and supportive school "family." BYDS has exceeded all of our expectations and we cannot imagine being anywhere else.

Posted June 3, 2014

I would not recommend this school at all. The school is run by a bunch of Christian people (new principal is married to a Jewish man but not Jewish herself, new head of school is Mormon). A lot of experienced teachers have recently be let go and contracts were not renewed. This school is a joke and you pay $16k per year for it.

Posted February 28, 2014

All of the teachers smile and know the students by name. The teachers care about every student-It's a close knit family. The care and affection that Ms. Monique & Ms. Michelle provide on a daily basis is beyond words. They always smile and offer a hug when He enters the classroom--they make him feel welcomed, loved and safe. We feel at peace, when we leave Our son in class for the school day. We even extended his day from 12 noon to 2:00pm bc he told us he wanted to eat lunch with his classmates! The interesting activities that Ms. Monique and Ms. Michelle plan, the room they decorate exhibiting the children's work, the friendships they help foster-- it's all incredible. It's helping our son believe that school is fun, which is incredibly important! BYDS helps build the foundation for academic achievement, focus and social interactions. Our son has transformed from being a child that would cry and feel uneasy about attending school to a child that gleefully sings every morning about his teachers and classmates! It is with great pleasure that we write this review and appreciation on behalf BYDS teachers, faculty

Posted February 28, 2014

From the first call the admission director (Mireille) She was attentive, knowledgable & extremely generous with her time.Providing 2 extensive tours accompanied with Q&A sessions. I was able to sit in various classrooms & witness the excitement with students actively participating.The students were happy--the teachers were passionate! We are overjoyed that our son is relishing preschool. It's not easy to send your first child to school but seeing what a ball He is having makes it a breeze. We also have the early childhood principal (Riana) To thank for this truly remarkable experience. Imagine be greeted every morning by the principal bending on her knees to greet students entering the school,much less by their names!! It is not uncommon for our son to remark how The principal enters the classroom and enjoys hands on time with him and his classmates ( play dough, drawing, etc). Our son also shares with us how the principal will stop in the hallway & share a hug or inquire how the day is going. Riana is totally involved with the daily aspects of the school day. The respect exhibited to her from the faculty and staff is a testament to the remarkable job she does at BYDS.

Posted April 18, 2012

It is a good school, Hebrew classes and prayers are valuable. I agree with other posters that construction period took some time, though with good results. It was interesting that my eldest son, few years after graduation mentioned that he didn't like the school that much, even though he keeps in touch with his friends from his class. An, yes, it is expensive.

Posted June 27, 2011

With construction is complete on a brand new building, Beth Yeshurun not only offers a small student/teacher ratio, an excellent dual language program, the newest curriculum in Singapore Math and a exceptional faculty, but a safe , state-of-the-art, technologically integrated facility.

Posted June 19, 2011

While I appreciate that every family's experience is unique, I can offer nothing but praise for this school and its administration. I have two children at Beth Yeshurun Day School, one in the Early Childhood program and one in the elementary school. Both programs are top notch and have proven to my husband and me that we made the right educational decision for our children. The school community is warm and welcoming, encouraging both participation and open communication among the school's many families. The teachers and administration are all very approachable and invested in their students' academic and religious educations, as well as their social growth and development. The school's excellence extends to their extra-curricular course offerings, which include everything from dance and athletics to academic enrichment - all on campus and accessible for its students, both in the Early Childhood and elementary school programs. My husband and I know that we have found in BYDS a school that will continue to provide a nurturing, academically competitive, and spiritually enriching environment for our children that will pave the way for their future successes in school and in life.

Posted May 22, 2011

I enrolled two children that I rescued from Child Protective Services and being their "single" guardian was searching for a school where they would be immersed in Judaism and I could feel safe going to work. I am a dentist and must support these two children as they have no one else in their lives. The first year my little girl struggled with Hebrew and Math. She was told she could not bring home the Hebrew books. They also do Singapore math and only gave one night of explanation of which I could not attend having to work. In January of this year my little 3rd grader was released from school with no explanation, and I had the honor or a 10 minute meeting. I was given 30 days to get her out. It cost me my job of which I make $25,000 a month, it also cost me $15,000 to send her away to school as their only recommendation was a "psyche" ward of which I was handed 3 names of schools on a sticky pad piece of paper. No notice, no explanation, and I had just donated $1000 to help with the Ma'ayan. I am out of a job, my little girl lost one year of schooling and I have yet to get my money back. As a dentist I would have had my license revoked treating any child this way.

Posted September 14, 2008

What an amazing school. Fabulous job integrating secular studies along with Hebrew and Judaics. We left the school because we moved to another city in Texas. We didn't realize how good we had it. The kids didn't miss a beat in Hebrew even though they didn't have to attend religious school. Actually they were ahead of the game. Hats off to Ms. Urkowitz! Mindy Rosenthal has that wonderful blend of being not only an administrator, but also one who has had experience with her own children in Jewish Day Schools. All staff was great, eager to see their students succeed, and were more than willing to work with parents when kids needed attention, both academic and emotional. All three of my kids speak fondly of their time at BYDS, and have made friendships that have endured even after our move.Science lab,fabulous art instructor, computer lab,Singapore Math program, etc. are also A+++

Posted September 11, 2008

Beth Yeshurun is one of the best private elementary schools in Houston. Period. The teachers are all incredibly well-trained, nurturing and inspiring. My children particularly loved their fourth grade teachers, Miss Nussbaum and Mrs. Bormaster, as they were a wonderful team, dynamic and made my children want to go to school everyday.

Posted April 15, 2008

Although I did have a number of good experiences and teachers at BYDS, I must say that as a whole my education and elementary school experience was unsatisfactory. For one, the school seems to be managed by unqualified individuals that may know how to teach, but do not have the foggiest idea of how to run a school. The curriculum is lacking in many respects, particularly in the area of mathematics which left me struggling when I reached middle school. Although I am aware that there have been improvements to the curriculum, I fear that the teachers do not effectively cover what is said to be covered.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 20, 2005

Jewish education provided is okay, price is very high- I am concerning moving to an area to place my children in a top rated public school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Jewish
Associations
  • ISAS
Fax number
  • (713) 666-2924

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4525 Beechnut Street