The Kinkaid School 1

Posted July 27, 2013
Unless you are a part of a family of extreme wealth, do not go here. The kids here are pretentious and bratty, and they will make fun of anyone who isn't white and wealthy. The academics here are average, if not below average. There are very few pre ap classes freshman year of high school compared to a vanguard high school. The facilities are amazing, but that is something you would expect if you're paying 20,000 a year. You are much better off going to a vanguard public high school that has much more options for AP and Pre AP classes.

Posted February 28, 2012
I am currently a student at the Kinkaid School and I have been ever since pre-kinder garden right now I am in Eighth grade and I am looking at boarding schools the people here are somewhat mean but not really the main reason why I don't like it is because the academics make it very challenging to juggle everything, at the same time. this includes sports and academics. This is a great school to help people that are already doing well in school so better. I had Ms. Cooney who was one of the best teachers although at the time she would make everyone feel bad about losing something but that actually ended up to help me and I still use some of her strategies. A little look at how well the Academics are is I am getting C to C+ 's at Kinkaid and I got in the 64% in the SSAT ( a test to get in to boarding schools). I was also projected to get in the 99% on the SAT.

Posted December 05, 2010
As a 2007 graduate, I now have a few years perspective on my education here. Without a doubt, Kinkaid has excellent resources - teachers, administrators, and facilities are all top notch. However, it is a bit frustrating to me to see that the school's assets are not used in the best way possible. The admissions policy seems overly based on legacy and perhaps on finding involved and well-connected parents. I recognize the appeal of tradition in a school of this age, with several "firsts" for Houston schools. However, tradition can get in the way of the spirit of innovation that great schools need. I don't know if Kinkaid has much motivation to do this - the same crowd of wealthy and good but not outstanding students, whose parents attended Kinkaid before them, seem firmly lodged in the institution's identity. If the administration committed to raising the proportion of students accepted purely for merit, and made greater attempts to reach out to different backgrounds of students, I think it would well and truly pay off. Until then, I would have to recommend Kinkaid with a major caveat.

Posted May 11, 2010
Incredible for a strong, well rounded education. Diverse students, great fine arts and athletics, and top notch academic college prep curriculum.

Posted March 03, 2010

Posted February 04, 2010
Great school, great teachers, administrators, donors/supportors! A school to be proud of for the students of Houston. It is similar to the motto used by the University of Texas - 'what happens at Kinkaid changes the world!'

Posted July 15, 2009
The teachers and facilities are uniformly outstanding. In high school, Kinkaid requires substantial participation in arts and sports, plus has a 3 week mid year change from normal classes. The result is an exceptionally broad and balanced educational experience. Students discover hidden talents. The school atmosphere is very positive and supportive. It's no wonder it produces so many leaders.

Posted June 24, 2009
This is one of the top prep schools in the South. A C+ at this school is like an A- or B+ at other schools. Collages know that and they notice any Kinkaid student as one that will succeed in life. Some of the country's leaders went to Kinkaid including President George W. Bush. It is a beautiful school. However if you do activities outside of school you may not have time for them anymore (in high school). Once you are in high school and even late middle school, your life revolves around school. Because it is very well rounded that isn't too bad though.

Posted August 08, 2008

Posted May 23, 2008
I went to Kinkaid for 1st grade through 12th grade. The preparation and mindset instilled in students at Kinkaid is exceptional. I matriculated into the University of Texas at Austin as a sophmore, because of all the SAT-II and AP credits due to Kinkaid's high school curriculum. My writing skills were greatly superior to my fellow UT students, most of whom had attended public schools.

The Kinkaid School