Public charter
Houston, TX

Posted May 13, 2013
THIS SCHOOL IS NOT A VERY SAFE SCHOOL AT ALL MY CHILD HAS A FRACTURED NECK THE BUS DRIVER RODE AROUND PICKING UP OTHER STUDENTS WITH A SMOKEY BUS AND THEN LEFT THEM ON THE BUS AND TOLD THE OLDER STUDENTS TO GET THE REST OF THE STUDENTS OFF THE BUS AND MY KIDS INHALED SMOKE A STUDENT THAT IS 14YRS OLD GOT ON THE BUS AND PUNCHED MY CHILD IN THE EYE AND RECENTLY THE SCHOOL BUS DRIVER HAD HER DAUGHTER WHO IS 17YRS OLD CONFRONT MY 8YR OLD DAUGHTER ON THE SCHOOL BUS AND WHEN YOU CONTACT THE SCHOOL TO ASK THEM QUESTIONS NO ONE WANTS TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS AND THE 17YRS OLD WAS NOT EVEN AUTHORIZED THRU THE STATE TO BE ON THE BUS AND THEN THEY KICKED MY CHILD OF THE BUS SAYING THAT SHE WAS TALKING ON THE BUS MY KIDS WOULD NOT BE GOING BACK THERE AND I ADVISE ALL THE OTHER PARENTS WHO THINK THAT THIS IS A GOOD SCHOOL TO SEND ANY STUDENT TO

Posted April 22, 2013
The teachers, don't care period, the structure is poor, they seem to be more concerned about minor issues vs major. I WILL NOT send my kids back to this place. I hear they have a kid there 19 years old in the 8th grade! They don't return phone calls and the teachers are friendly one day and funny acting the next. They don't call you to address issues such as grades, its just a poorly structured school PERIOD.

Posted November 14, 2012
What can I say, beside it's the worst charter school that I have ever encounter, I recently pulled my children out, because they have been beaten up, cursed out, and stolen from in the fist three months of school, I notified administrators, and staff and know one ever called with a follow up about the incidents, and with all of that being said, not one time did the PRINCIPAL called. The children are running wild through the building, and anyone off the streets can walk through the school at any time, there is no type of security are structure in that facility. And the staff, you as a parent should be able to discern who's teaching your children.

Posted September 06, 2012
This is our first year attending and we love it so far. We have a Kindergarder that goes and it has really opened her confindence in being assertive in learning. The school needs to work a little on organization but the school year is young, we look forward to the improvement. It the school a try. I'm very pleased! Ms. Gardener is great. Thanks.

Northwest Preparatory 5

Posted August 03, 2012
I am excited about Northwest Prep! The administration this past year did an okay job with discipline, tutoring, test prep, etc., I feel they are going to take it up a notch this year! I also met the new principal and was very impressed with his wealth of experience. he blew me away with his vision for the school and what they are already doing ! I like them because they are a community school that understand the challenges some students face! i was fed up with the regular district and NWP took my babies in with open arms and encouraged me in the process! my babies did good this year and I am expecting greater! i will take teachers that care over bigtime schools anyday!

Posted August 02, 2012
I am also a parent and must say that I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Hardin. The other so-called parent that commented is obviously a disgruntled employee or someone that had no patience in meeting the man. If you would just check the internet or spell his name right you would easily read his bio just like I did. I TOO AM EXCITED ABOUT THE ADMINISTRATIVE CHANGES THAT ARE TAKING PLACE. There were areas of concerns I noticed with my children, but they alwways had dedicated teachers that kept me in the loop on a consistent basis. With the new principal in place I can see positive changes already. I will give Northwest the benefit of a doubt and see how well things go.

Posted July 18, 2012
I have just read the recent reviews of a parent who plans to send their child to this school in the fall. A word of caution, this school also houses students who are on parole and probation for major offenses. The offenders are located in close proximity to the youngest children in the school. I refuse to send my child back to this school, even though his teacher was excellent! I used the Texas Educator certification system to determine the qualifications of the other teachers before completing the re-enrollment forms. I found that less than 10 of the teachers were certified educators. I also researched the school prinicpal's credentials, and could find no information. This deeply concerned me, and I attempted to schedule a meeting with the prinicpal. The secretary re-routed me to another person to answer my questions. The young lady was quite polite and well-informed, but I was very disturbed that the school principal did not have time to speak with me. I was also very concerned about the behavioral climate of the school. This parent should think very carefully and do complete research before sending their child to this school. PLEASE!

Posted July 11, 2012
I am very excited about the direction that Northwest Prep is headed. I will be sending my 4-year old here in the fall and I am very excited about the teacher she will have. The school is transitioning administration and has a new Principal, Mr. Hardin. They are also undergoing a rebranding and are working very hard on changing the culture of the school. I enjoy the idea of the small class sizes, highly qualified teachers, and knowing that the new incoming administration has the heart to do whatever it takes to make this a place where children will be challenged academically, and nurtured socially. I am looking forward to becoming a NW Prep parent and cannot wait to get involved in participating in my child's education.

Posted July 11, 2012
Northwest Preparatory Academy has a home type of atmosphere and love the students. The school focuses on academics as well as behavior. The teachers are qualified to teach and are team workers which is needed to keep the exemplary status. Great place to be!!!!

Posted July 10, 2010
Initially this school will fool you into believing that they have your child's best interest at heart, BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!!! The administration alone is a joke, who I have spoken with on a number of occasions and he has smelled like an alcoholic and is very disrespectful to parents. This school has no support and they allow students who are not in compliance according to the Student Code of Conduct to have free range and do as they please because they want to count heads and not the interest of students. Furthermore, the administration (Principal), is very rude and a bad example as a leader of this school or any school. I have been at the school on a number of occasions to hear him using very vulgar and profane language towards the staff, as well as, the students.

Northwest Preparatory
4705 Lyons Avenue, Houston, TX  77020
Last modified Northwest Preparatory is a Charter school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwest Preparatory Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top