Birkes Elementary School 1

Posted August 21, 2014
I'm not pleased with this school at all. Every year the curriculum barely changes. The homework is exactly the same year after year. The spelling words are at least two grade levels too easy. Almost every letter or email we receive is full of grammatical errors. The teacher we had for fourth grade writing had very low standards and could not (or would not) correct simple errors. Math is at least a grade level behind where it should be. Going into 5th grade our child is still counting on fingers. If your standards are higher than the state test, this school will not cut it for you.

Posted January 13, 2014
Very satisfied with the school and its teaching. The staff is awesome. My daughter came from Africa three months ago without speaking or writing any English. Her English has progress so much, I barely have to assist her in her homework . The staff have been a tremendous help, and I really appreciate that.

Posted January 11, 2014
My kids started fall 2013 and so far i am impressed with the curriculum and the dedication of the teachers. The teachers keep me well informed on the weekly syllabus and i get reports on my kids academic progress.

Posted September 26, 2013
This is a really great school, perfect communications and highly qualified teachers. The teachers follow up on the kids progress and help the improvement.

Birkes Elementary School 4

Posted May 28, 2013
The school is well run and most teachers seem to genuinely care about their students. My only complaint is at lunch time. The teachers on lunch duty are supposed to helping the younger grades open their lunches and oversee behavior problems. More often, the teachers are off in a corner socializing and ignoring the raised hands of the kids needing help with their lunches. The teachers seem to forgot that they are not on break but are in the lunch room to do a job. Also, snack time should be added to 1st grade. The students are starving in the afternoon. It is too long of a day for the kids to eat lunch at 11am and then not get out of school until 3:45pm.

Posted August 23, 2012
This is the best school I have ever went to! I am now going to 5th grade and have been here since 1st grade. Staff is caring, food is great, and they have many extracurricular activities! Field trips are free.

Posted March 13, 2011
My daughter entered 2nd grade at Birkes last year. Being new to the district, she got behind a bit, because she didn't understand their strategies. After a conference with the Counselor, then the Teacher, she was given the extra tutoring that she needed, and was back on track. The Counselor and Teachers were very caring. When she started this school year, I was concerned, when her Reading scores dropped, and again, after the Teacher started intervention, she's is doing well. To me, the four Teachers that we have had at Birkes have been excellent, caring teachers. Birkes didn't get their Exemplary status by not caring. Like others, I was concerned about the "Control" issue at Birkes: ie: Discouraging Parent Involvement, however, there are Homeroom Parents, and they do seek volunteers at the beginning of the year. The people who have said they would not recommend Cy-Fair schools are opposed to the population change. The Race make-up is not the same as it was in 1980, but Texas is not the same either. As a working parent, I can't volunteer, but I communicate with teachers by e-mail. They are on top of everything, and keep me involved with Positive feedback & Constructive feedback.

Posted April 23, 2010
My grandson attends kindergarten at Birkes and we have been very happy with this school and staff. He is an intelligent but very active child who might elicit anger or frustration with many teachers. We are blessed to have a lovely, caring teacher who doesn't take his hyperactivity personally. She employs creative techniques to help him to learn and does the same with other students. We are so blessed to have him in this school and with this teacher. I hope our experience next year is equally positive. There have been a few times that he has gotten bumps or bruises and we've not been contacted by the school. That seems to be the only negative issue.

Posted February 18, 2009

Posted January 16, 2009
Excellent school! Teacher's are very caring and sensitive to children's need. Administrator's are very involved, caring and willing to help when asked. We had a situation that they had to get involved in and they solved it to our families satisfaction.

Birkes Elementary School
8500 Queenston Boulevard, Houston, TX  77095
Last modified Birkes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Birkes Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.