Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 04, 2016
WAIS is a school that encourages diversity in its students, and teaches them how to value that in others.

Posted June 04, 2016
Just completed our first year at WAIS. Very happy with the teachers and administration--they are excellent and care about each student as an individual. IB program is great, and academic achievement is celebrated. Students are allowed and encouraged to be individuals. Excellent school.

Posted October 27, 2014
The teachers really care. The coursework is academically challenging, but fun. The teachers want every student to succeed. The IB program is exceptional. My only complaint is the low level of parent involvement

Westchester Academy For Internatio 4

Posted April 02, 2014
My daughter seems very happy with the overall experience of her 6th and now 7th grade years. She thrives in classsrooms in which she is required to think beyond the regular curriculum. She is most happy with her Science and Math curriculum because the teachers set very high standards. My wish is to see a stronger emphasis on writing, since it is critical at every level of higher education. It is necessary for teachers to prepare the students early by systematically teaching all types of writing (expository, narrative, creative, non-fictional, etc...so that they are not overwhelmed as they approach high school years. They are taught basic editing skills, however, I would like students to be taught how to make a weak writing piece stronger by the use of (e.g. supportive facts, descriptive words, quotes, presenting ideas in an order that builds the piece, etc...)

Posted October 02, 2012
My daughter has been at WAIS since 6th grade and is now a Sophomore. Before attending WAIS, she was a Montessori student through 5th grade. I can honestly say that, for a public school, WAIS is an excellent institution. The best part about it is the closeness of the school community. Because it is a small school, everyone knows everyone else, but, instead of that turning into a "too close for comfort" situation, the kids all care about and support each other in a manner that I have never witnessed in a public school before. The teachers are dedicated and most of them are creative and challenging. My daughter is GT in all areas and has, for the most part, remained engaged with her school work. The school does not have sports or orchestra, but makes up for it with a great theater program and tons of clubs such as Model UN and Odyssey of the Mind. Kids can also play for the teams of the schools that they are zoned to if they really want to play sports. My only beef with the school is that its operations are often unorganized and its events under-planned. Also, there is also not a lot of parental involvement. Still, this is an excellent school and I highly recommend.

Posted July 24, 2012
What to say about my loving school, WAIS? The students are very diverse (I have black, white, Asian, Hispanic friends), the teachers are way cool (Except some one the middle school ones), and they classes are challenging but fun. I have learned so much my 4 years there. But, sometimes everyone there wishes they could move to a regular school. It does feel different, because we have no sports or band/orchestra, but we don't because that would mean leaving the amazing and crazy people we interact with everyday. There are some crazy rules, like homework hall, but all you have to do is do your homework, and everything will be alright for you. We also have the IB program, which is super difficult, but is great practice for college. Over all, WAIS is great school and I hope you take in my review before you consider not attending.

Posted June 01, 2012
Hi everyone, I visited the school for contract work with computers and I met the staff, and all I have to say is that it is by far a top notch school with excellent teachers. As soon as I arrived I had to work quickly but as I visited each classroom I had a conversation with every teacher wishing that I had this education in the past. The classrooms are not cluttered, and it looks like the student gets the proper attention they need. The science classroom with robotics have excellent Mac computers with media classes as well, which is great because its diverse and children can learn and build things I never had the opportunity to do. If I had children I would put them in this school, I don't need a fancy school with a fountain in the middle, but I do want my children to have teachers that will be a part of their lives to remember that they enabled themselves into learning and not forced into learning. I like the atmosphere in this school and I know you will to, please consider having your children the best education possible in this tough economy because if you don't do anything about it then your risking your child's future.

Posted October 09, 2010

Posted July 15, 2010
The teachers and leaders really care- they challenge all students to take advanced courses even if a kid is not GT. Students are happy here- and my kids like going to school.

Posted May 05, 2010
The multiculturalism that is the dominant theme of this school.

901 Yorkchester Drive, Houston, TX  77079
Last modified Westchester Academy For Internatio is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.